Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a car in WA, advice welcome!

Buying a car in WA, advice welcome!

Old Dec 29th 2004, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

steveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant future
Default Buying a car in WA, advice welcome!

We head out in just under 3 weeks and I have been looking at car prices most of which are less than the UK equiv (japanese and holdens etc at least are) but it looks like the hidden charges are pretty high....

I tried to work out the stamp duty on a $38000 car (Nissan Xtrail) and they come out to around $2400, this sounds pretty severe, are there any other charges I should know about? Rego etc...

However on the plus side used car prices seem very solid against the depreciation in the UK.. what do people think of buying new versus used?
Old Dec 30th 2004, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

igual will become famous soon enoughigual will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Buying a car in WA, advice welcome!

hi,
we bought an x trail back in august from duncan autos, we paid 39000 for everything and extras. We have written a previous post before on this, if you do a search on our posts you should find it.
Basically haggle with a few dealers and you should be able to knock a considerable amount off!
hope this helps
Old Dec 31st 2004, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

GengaKev is an unknown quantity at this point

X-Trail is a great buy and I bought one 2 months ago before I left the UK.

I Emailed 6 Nissan dealers and bought a Ti model for A$37,760 all in including Met Paint, stamp duty etc. List price was $39,500

The dealer was Madurah Nissan and the guy was Steve Hameister I dealt with.
Old Dec 31st 2004, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

steveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by GengaKev

I Emailed 6 Nissan dealers and bought a Ti model for A$37,760 all in including Met Paint, stamp duty etc. List price was $39,500

Thanks Kev, I was looking at the Ti-L (Ti plus sunroof and leather for $2500 extra) although I wonder if leather is a mistake in the heat....
Did you have to pay your own stamp duty or was it taken care of by the dealer?
Old Dec 31st 2004, 11:45 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by steveyp
Thanks Kev, I was looking at the Ti-L (Ti plus sunroof and leather for $2500 extra) although I wonder if leather is a mistake in the heat....
Did you have to pay your own stamp duty or was it taken care of by the dealer?
Leather in the heat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :scared:

Had a car at work with full leather, It's like a hot stove in the Uk never mind Oz. Cold in cold weather as well!

Bye
Mark
Old Jan 12th 2005, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GengaKev

Great stuff ....I ordered mine therough Madurah Nissan, got it down to $39,500 drive away including L Pack, auto, privacy glass, metallic, bull bar and roof rails.
$4000 under the list price.
How does rego and stamp duty work? Does the dealer do it?