Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a car-shortlisted- bargaining??

Buying a car-shortlisted- bargaining??

Old Oct 18th 2009, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

scaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to all
Default Buying a car-shortlisted- bargaining??

So assuming you have shortlisted a car that you want to buy. In our case we will be looking at getting a 2006 or later Camry.

The way I understand is that the prices that dealers quote are drive-away prices that include tax, stamp duty, registration and 3rd party insurance for 1 year. Suppose the dealer quotes 20K..what is the room of getting the price down? I have heard and read that cars are expensive, but can you make counter offer or if buying new make a dealer price match your quote from another dealer?

We will be coming from North America where the price advertised is before Sales tax and other additional expenses. You can always ask the dealer for a single price and even have dealers complete for your business.

I guess if I have been unclear..I am trying to understand the car buying process in Australia. We will need wheels soon after we land.

As always, much appreciate any inputs.

-scaria197
Old Oct 18th 2009, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

scaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to all
Default Re: Buying a car-shortlisted- bargaining??

Moderators could you please move my post from here I by error posted under Immigration forum.

Thanks,
Old Oct 19th 2009, 1:50 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

You can ALWAYS make an offer and get the price down.

Some have had great success by phoning or emailing a bunch of dealerships and getting their best price (works well with new). If you pay any more than 90% of the listed price you're probably overpaying. Even when buying 2nd hand from a dealer go in and tell them about other cars (of similar age/mileage) you've seen at better prices - it wont hurt. Dont be afraid to walk away if they dont drop their price. Dont look too keen.

Looking at http://www.carsales.com.au should give you a decent idea of costs for a car of that age - but if buying from a dealership you will be paying a bit more than private sales (and getting some kind of warranty and assurance in return).

If you're specifically after a Camry you're in luck - theres LOTS of them around and any '06 or later model is going to be in good mechanical condition unless its done a ridiculously high milage (our '05 Camry has done 90K and shows no signs of skipping any beats any time soon).

Good luck
Old Oct 20th 2009, 11:19 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on when you are coming, but an excellent time for making a bargain with dealers in June. They all want to clear stock prior to the end of the financial year (June 30).