Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying car seat and high chair online - any discount websites?

Buying car seat and high chair online - any discount websites?

Old Aug 16th 2006, 3:40 pm
bromley to brisbane

ClareBear is on a distinguished road
Default Buying car seat and high chair online - any discount websites?

Hiya
We've had it confirmed by the Queensland Ambulance Service that even Isofix car seats are illegal... Have also just realised that we can't survive without a high chair for 12 weeks!:scared:
Was wondering if there are any websites along the lines of Kiddicare, where you can buy branded baby gear at cheaper prices? Have seen a few threads where people suggest shopping at Target - are there a few Target stores in Brisbane? Or are we just going to have to get used to paying full price for baby stuff once we're there?!
Trying to figure out what not to ship next week, so all suggestions welcome!
Clare x
Old Aug 16th 2006, 7:17 pm
M J
BE Enthusiast

M J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying car seat and high chair online - any discount websites?

Originally Posted by ClareBear
Hiya
We've had it confirmed by the Queensland Ambulance Service that even Isofix car seats are illegal... Have also just realised that we can't survive without a high chair for 12 weeks!:scared:
Was wondering if there are any websites along the lines of Kiddicare, where you can buy branded baby gear at cheaper prices? Have seen a few threads where people suggest shopping at Target - are there a few Target stores in Brisbane? Or are we just going to have to get used to paying full price for baby stuff once we're there?!
Clare x
Hi Clare,
Sorry i cant answer your question,still at the TRA stage but will watch answers with interest.My 9 month old is due to move up to the next size car seat and we had it all decided to buy a Recaro,but apparently the car seatbelt securing types and as you say isofix are illegal ,so im just not getting what IS !!!!!! I cant get answers from anywhere it seems including manufacturers.Might have to just get one that suits for now and purchase a new one when we do get there.
Like you say though the cost all adds up!!!!
M J
Old Aug 16th 2006, 7:39 pm
bromley to brisbane

Originally Posted by M J
Hi Clare,
Sorry i cant answer your question,still at the TRA stage but will watch answers with interest.My 9 month old is due to move up to the next size car seat and we had it all decided to buy a Recaro,but apparently the car seatbelt securing types and as you say isofix are illegal ,so im just not getting what IS !!!!!! I cant get answers from anywhere it seems including manufacturers.Might have to just get one that suits for now and purchase a new one when we do get there.
Like you say though the cost all adds up!!!!
M J
Well if you're after a cheap britax duo isofix i seem to have one spare!!
Nevermind, we should've done our homework properly before we went shopping - even though she's a year she's still too light for her bells-and-whistles one!! Moral of the story - make sure your son is over 9kg first!
Old Aug 16th 2006, 8:06 pm
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

You will find Target stores all over Brisbane and most cities in Oz, as well as K-Mart and other "cheaper" outlets.

Most Aussie-verified car seats are fitted using the car seat belt and a tether strap that attaches to an anchor point in the car. It is recommended that you only purchase and use a restraint carrying the Standards Australia AS/NZS 1754 sticker. There are loads of threads on this site about car seats, and I have put in some links to other websites below...

- a simple guide to child restraints from the Australian Transport Safety Bureau
- The NSW Roads and Traffic Authority (RTA), 'A Buyers Guide to Child Restraints'
- Victorian Roads User Guide to Child Restraints
- Road Safety Qld Child Seat Guide

I'm not sure about discount websites for baby stuff but a search on www.google.com.au will find something I'm sure. Also have a look at The BubHub as I know they list companies which hire out baby equipment, in case you decided to ship vs buy.

Good luck
Old Aug 16th 2006, 8:07 pm
bromley to brisbane

Originally Posted by ridds
You will find Target stores all over Brisbane and most cities in Oz, as well as K-Mart and other "cheaper" outlets.

Most Aussie-vertified car seats are fitted using the car seat belt and a tether strap that attaches to an anchor point in the car. It is recommended that you only purchase and use a restraint carrying the Standards Australia AS/NZS 1754 sticker. There are loads of threads on this site about car seats, and I have put in some links to other websites below...

- a simple guide to child restraints from the Australian Transport Safety Bureau
- The NSW Roads and Traffic Authority (RTA), 'A Buyers Guide to Child Restraints'
- Victorian Roads User Guide to Child Restraints
- Road Safety Qld Child Seat Guide

I'm not sure about discount websites for baby stuff but a search on www.google.com.au will find something I'm sure. Also have a look at The BubHub as I know they list companies which hire out baby equipment, in case you decided to ship vs buy.

Good luck
fantastic, thanks for that!
Old Aug 16th 2006, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

Just about to order stuff to be delivered to my sis in NSW..highchair, cot,car seat (booster),potty, step stool etc!! Found www.babiesgalore.com.au, whcih seem as close to kiddicare as I can find. No free shipping though.
Old Aug 16th 2006, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

rpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud of

Hiya
Clare x
Sale on at Target on baby stuff starts tomorrow, 17th.
heres the link to the catalogue:
http://www.target.com.au/html/catalogue1486/1486p20.htm
Old Aug 16th 2006, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

rpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud of

Hiya
Clare x
Target in Queensland locations:

- Carindale Shopping Centre
 - Chermside Shopping Centre
Old Aug 16th 2006, 8:41 pm
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rpa34
Target in Queensland locations:

- Carindale Shopping Centre
 - Chermside Shopping Centre
Also in Brisbane:
Indoorppilly - Indooroopilly Shopping Centre, 318 Moggill Road
Buranda - Cnr Ipswich Road and Cornwall St (but limited on baby stuff from memory)
City Centre - 91 Queen St (but limited on baby stuff from memory)
Mitchelton - Osborne Road
Old Aug 16th 2006, 8:54 pm
M J
BE Enthusiast

M J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond repute

oh thats really helpful,still it looks like we'll have to buy new over there though Clare.My little one is already over 9kg.Hes going to be a Hercules like daddy i think.Well having said that neither of us are short and punie!!
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M J
oh thats really helpful,still it looks like we'll have to buy new over there though Clare.My little one is already over 9kg.Hes going to be a Hercules like daddy i think.Well having said that neither of us are short and punie!!
You might also like to try looking at the Bub Hub, they have lots of baby related info including a page on car restraints which you might find helpful:

www.bubhub.com.au/infocarseats.shtml
Old Aug 16th 2006, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Everyone English that I know uses their UK car seats. They are as safe as they are in the UK and I doubt if most Policemen even know they are not legal. My little boy is now 3 and I used my UK seat from when we got here (he was nearly 2) until he was big enough for a booster. As for high chairs, we just got one of those plastic seats that straps to any chair. I found it more practical than a big high chair and only about $40 in K Mart or Target. There don't seem to be any web shops, I also used to buy everything in the UK on Kiddicare or various other internet shops and miss it! The only think I would say is if you have small babies buy LOADS of stuff from Next, M&S, Mothercare etc. as the baby clothes are not nice here and they don't do packs of sleepsuits or bodysuits really. My baby is due in October and I had to get my mum to get some sleepsuits in Gap and Next and send them.

Jo
Old Aug 17th 2006, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clougherty family
Hi,

Everyone English that I know uses their UK car seats. They are as safe as they are in the UK and I doubt if most Policemen even know they are not legal. My little boy is now 3 and I used my UK seat from when we got here (he was nearly 2) until he was big enough for a booster. As for high chairs, we just got one of those plastic seats that straps to any chair. I found it more practical than a big high chair and only about $40 in K Mart or Target. There don't seem to be any web shops, I also used to buy everything in the UK on Kiddicare or various other internet shops and miss it! The only think I would say is if you have small babies buy LOADS of stuff from Next, M&S, Mothercare etc. as the baby clothes are not nice here and they don't do packs of sleepsuits or bodysuits really. My baby is due in October and I had to get my mum to get some sleepsuits in Gap and Next and send them.

Jo
Hi

The trouble with using the UK ones here is that in an accident you could find your insurance invalid, and also find yourself in big trouble with the law.

We bought one for our daughter when we got here.

Rudi
x
Old Aug 17th 2006, 5:57 am
bromley to brisbane

Originally Posted by Rudi
Hi

The trouble with using the UK ones here is that in an accident you could find your insurance invalid, and also find yourself in big trouble with the law.

We bought one for our daughter when we got here.

Rudi
x
Just had another reply from the QAS, this time a little less clear... now have to weigh up whether its worth potentially 'wasting' a chunk of our luggage allowance...!
Thanks for all replies, looks like I'll save the shopping until we arrive. Have been stocking up on clothes in the sales but will put the credit card AWAY now!!
Clare x

Dear Clare

Regarding your "Isofix child seat" inquiry to Queensland Ambulance Service - I have spoken to the baby capsule fitter who has some information for you.

If the seat has a "tether strap" with it that affixes to a child safety point in the car, then yes we can fit it. Without seeing the seat he is unsure whether it meets Australian Standards.

I hope this answers your questions.

Kind regards

Lyndal Homann
QAS Regional Community Services Unit
Brisbane Region
Ph: 3898 9833
Fax: 3364 1354
E-mail: [email protected]
Old Aug 17th 2006, 6:07 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya
Clare x

Try toys r us they do that gear in the UK so may do here also. Target and K-mart do baby stuff...its not that expensive