Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a car - is it possible to get finance upon arrival?

Buying a car - is it possible to get finance upon arrival?

Old Apr 15th 2008, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of
Default Buying a car - is it possible to get finance upon arrival?

We have about $15 000 as a deposit and want to buy a People Carrier to move our brood around.

It looks like a decent car will set us back about $40k.

Does anybody know if it's possible to get car finance without a job?
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:15 pm

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying a car - is it possible to get finance upon arrival?

Originally Posted by dejags
We have about $15 000 as a deposit and want to buy a People Carrier to move our brood around.

I've had so much trouble with car finance since arriving but I've recently got some sorted at last !

Without a job, no, you are extremely unlikely to get car finance unless you were to settle on a dead cheap dirt box (which you can buy three or four of with your deposit anyway).

Once you've got a permanent job sorted and you're past probation though, it shouldn't be a problem. I don't have PR and they (capitalcorp I think) managed to get me a 15% loan (with no deposit) through ANZ.

You've got a hefty deposit there so you'll get a really good deal once you have a job. Be wary of finance arranged through the dealers.

Last edited by oliver1982; Apr 15th 2008 at 11:18 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 12:29 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

I got a new car (part financed) whilst I was on a temporary resident visa all those years ago... I dont remember it being a problem. I had held a job for a number of months - but it was a temporary contract position so the finance company had no guarantee of my future earnings...

I guess if your deposit is enough it doesnt matter as you'll have enough equity in the car to cover the outstanding loan (which is all the finance company care about) and with $15k deposit on a $40k vehicle you'll be just fine.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you can get finance on arrival if you have a job.

They may require 10-15% deposit, thats what we were told.
Also if you on temp visa they will do terms lasting your visa. Eg if you visa is for 3 years the car must be paid off in 3yrs.

What area are you moving too? We were originally going to get a people carrier but changed our mind to a 4WD which are more popular here. So got a Nissan 7 seater Pathfinder, as we were rural and would be doing a lot of sightseeing on the coast. (live in a coastal town)

Gems
Old Apr 16th 2008, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

Choice will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Gems

Also if you on temp visa they will do terms lasting your visa. Eg if you visa is for 3 years the car must be paid off in 3yrs.

What area are you moving too? We were originally going to get a people carrier but changed our mind to a 4WD which are more popular here. So got a Nissan 7 seater Pathfinder, as we were rural and would be doing a lot of sightseeing on the coast. (live in a coastal town)

Gems
Beware though, if you are planning to be self employed it is incredibly hard to get any sort of finance in the first year.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 12:39 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oliver1982
Be wary of finance arranged through the dealers.
Couldnt agree more. In australia its pronounced STEALERS though.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

I've had so much trouble with car finance since arriving but I've recently got some sorted at last !

Without a job, no, you are extremely unlikely to get car finance unless you were to settle on a dead cheap dirt box (which you can buy three or four of with your deposit anyway).

Once you've got a permanent job sorted and you're past probation though, it shouldn't be a problem. I don't have PR and they (capitalcorp I think) managed to get me a 15% loan (with no deposit) through ANZ.

You've got a hefty deposit there so you'll get a really good deal once you have a job. Be wary of finance arranged through the dealers.

We arranged finance within the first week of arriving through a DEALER!! ( Zupps Helensvale - 1st Class!)

We did put down a large deposit but had no problem with geting it sorted!!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

Mmm. this is what I suspected. My hubby won't have a job, he'll be looking but the cost of renting a people carrier/SUV is astronomical.

Perhaps we should buy a banger for the first few months until we are sorted and then get a bigger car when the job is sorted - I was so looking forward to a decent car
Old Apr 16th 2008, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gems

Gems
We are moving to Brissy (west somewhere - probably Indooroopilly/Kenmore/Brookvale).

We looked at the Pathfinder on the net, but it didn't look as if it would be big enough. Tell me more, is it big enough to keep my 3 kids far enough away from one another that they can't pull hair/bite/spit at each other (only kidding but you get my drift).
Old Apr 16th 2008, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh, we are on a permanent visa, so hopefully this will make things a little easier.

If hubby has a letter of employment, do you reckon this would be sufficient for finance purposes (he may have a job to go to but the offer will only be finalised once we land with him starting a few weeks later).
Old Apr 16th 2008, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by justsarah
We arranged finance within the first week of arriving through a DEALER!! ( Zupps Helensvale - 1st Class!)

We did put down a large deposit but had no problem with geting it sorted!!
How did you qualify - did you have a job?
Old Apr 16th 2008, 9:05 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, we are on a permanent visa, so hopefully this will make things a little easier.

If hubby has a letter of employment, do you reckon this would be sufficient for finance purposes (he may have a job to go to but the offer will only be finalised once we land with him starting a few weeks later).
I reckon you'll be fine if you have an offer of employment! You could send an email to the broker I used (commission based), you won't have to use them if you don't want to, they might be able to give you a pre approval or something, or an idea of what to expect. They are a husband and wife team...I'll PM you the details.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

I reckon you'll be fine if you have an offer of employment! You could send an email to the broker I used (commission based), you won't have to use them if you don't want to, they might be able to give you a pre approval or something, or an idea of what to expect. They are a husband and wife team...I'll PM you the details.
Thanks that would be really helpful!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

We are moving to Brissy (west somewhere - probably Indooroopilly/Kenmore/Brookvale).

We looked at the Pathfinder on the net, but it didn't look as if it would be big enough. Tell me more, is it big enough to keep my 3 kids far enough away from one another that they can't pull hair/bite/spit at each other (only kidding but you get my drift).
We have four kids aged 16 to 3years. They all fit in fine and plenty of space.
Eldest is 6ft too, and two are not little either.

Also looked at other 4WD when we arrived and this one was one of the best for space. We also liked that the rear seats fold into the floor for more room. So when the eldest isnt with us and we need to we could have extra boot space for buying furniture etc.
It doesnt look as roomy or the real size on the internet, you need to see them at the showroom. As we originally fancied another make of 4WD and it was way too small when we saw it up close in Perth.

We can fit 4 kids, a pram and still have space for some shopping bags.

Have a look at them in the UK, but look at 7seater version. Eg I think you can get a 5seater in the UK.

Gems
Old Apr 16th 2008, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

How did you qualify - did you have a job?

Yes..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.