Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a car in Perth

Buying a car in Perth

Old May 24th 2005, 12:17 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default Buying a car in Perth

Will be in the market for a car in Perth in late June. Budget $12k - $18k. Preferably an MPV or something with a decent amount of room (some 4wd`s maybe).

Where can I look online to get an idea of what`s available (privately) ??

Cheers,

Gary
Old May 24th 2005, 1:01 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a car in Perth

Originally Posted by Stormz
Will be in the market for a car in Perth in late June. Budget $12k - $18k. Preferably an MPV or something with a decent amount of room (some 4wd`s maybe).

Where can I look online to get an idea of what`s available (privately) ??

Cheers,

Gary
To buy privately you can look at the quokka online www.quokka.com.au most things that go in the quokka will be there, remember though if you buy from a garage you will get a warranty. If you want to compare garage prices try www.ahg.com.au.

If you want some garage contacts i have a couple of great ones that i trust not to rip people off, pm me if you want the details.

Lynn
Old May 24th 2005, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

www.discountcars.com.au
Old May 24th 2005, 5:35 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Some great links there thanks Keep `em coming.

Any suggestions for an MPV to buy in Oz for up to $20k and not older than 1994? We have a 1991 Toyota Townace here in the UK and it`s been brilliant... it`s just a bit old now. It`s called the Tarago in Oz (older model though.... would love the newer one if we could afford it, unless there`s something of better value there).
Old May 24th 2005, 5:51 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

The best selling mpv here is the Kia Carnival, just under $30k new, you should get a 2000 one for your 20k through a garage.

Lynn
Old May 24th 2005, 6:23 am
Superfreak!!

Originally Posted by movetoperth.com
The best selling mpv here is the Kia Carnival, just under $30k new, you should get a 2000 one for your 20k through a garage.

Lynn
Sounded great until I read some user reviews of it on this site, which is an excellent resource....

http://www.productreview.com.au/
Old May 24th 2005, 7:25 am
Breeding little aussies

You will find that the 7 seat 4x4s are more popular here than MPVs are, so you may find more choice looking at them.

Also if you look on the www.rac.com.au you will find safety tesr results on new and used cars, it's quite a scary read.

Lynn
Old May 24th 2005, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

Grassface is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.autotrader.com.au/
Old May 24th 2005, 8:20 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grassface

This is the one I was going to recommend.. it is very good
Old May 24th 2005, 6:56 pm
Superfreak!!

Originally Posted by movetoperth.com
You will find that the 7 seat 4x4s are more popular here than MPVs are, so you may find more choice looking at them.

Also if you look on the www.rac.com.au you will find safety tesr results on new and used cars, it's quite a scary read.

Lynn
Thanks Lynn you`ve been really helpful. I`d like us to buy a car/van/4x4 soon after we arrive in mid-june. If you could e-mail the garages you think are good I`d appreciate it.... mailto:[email protected] . We`ll be staying with the in-laws in Beckenham (near Maddington/Cannington/Albany Highway).

What are the suggestions for 4x4`s?? We had a 3-door Rav4 here and loved it, but it was too small for 2 adults and a baby.... and we have another rug-rat on the way in September.... hence our 1991 Townace was far more useful and practical. We don`t care about off-roading, just price, room and value for money. Oh, and reliability of course. We generally go Japanese. I wouldn`t touch a Holden with a barge pole.... hate them.
Old May 25th 2005, 12:56 am
Breeding little aussies

Hi Stormz

I've got a really full on morning today but i'll email you later on in the day.

Lynn
Old May 25th 2005, 2:49 pm
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all

Hi Stormz. We've been in Perth for three and a bit weeks now and are a family of 7. We picked up quite a high mileage Toyota Landcruiser (8 seat) for well under $20k. (I had a Previa in the UK). Insurance was around $500 for a year with protected no claims and $200 excess.
I've always been anti 4x4s (we had a Previa in the UK). This one doesn't have quite as much luggage space as a Previa (Tarago here) but still performs well. There are zillions of 4x4 options here.
The main MPVs seem to be Taragos, Kia Carnivals, Hyundi Trajets (we had a rental one which drove well) and to a lesser extent Mitsubishi Space<xxxx>s (MPVs or 4x4s), Chrysler Voyagers and Honda whatevertheyarecalleds. Amongst all these you should have no probs picking up one for a low budget as long as you're prepared to balance miles with price. We went to Wangara - an area in the Northern suburbs with loads of dealers. Osborne Park, nearer the city is similar.
I'm not so much of an expert on the southern areas.

Last edited by bal56; May 25th 2005 at 2:51 pm.
Old May 26th 2005, 12:50 am
Superfreak!!

Originally Posted by bal56
We went to Wangara - an area in the Northern suburbs with loads of dealers. Osborne Park, nearer the city is similar.
I'm not so much of an expert on the southern areas.
I remember there`s lot`s of car dealerships in Vic Park along Albany Highway.

So what made you go for the 4x4 instead of another Previa-like MPV?

What`s the Precia like anyway. I have the Townace in the UK, which is the older version of the Previa etc. One thing that`s always confused me... what`s the difference between the Lucida, Previa and Estima... they all look the same and are all about the same year(s).
Old May 26th 2005, 5:09 am
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all

The wife walked in to the dealership and said "I want that one". As it (for once) matched my budget (although having more miles than I anticipated) and we had lots of other things to sort out, I agreed.
The Previa (Tarago in Oz) back home was great - it seated our family and had luggage/dog space at the back, unlike all other similarly priced MPVs.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MESO:IT
In the UK I was advised not to touch Lucidas/Estimas (diesel imports) as the parts and servicing was pricey. They are also narrower.
These are also in Oz (called I'm not sure what). I don't know whether they are more 'legit' here.
Old May 26th 2005, 5:19 am
Superfreak!!

Well my Townace is an import, and most parts etc so far have been easy to source (common Toyota engine). Won`t get an import in Aus probably just in case due to parts and insurance. Would love a Previa in Oz.