Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

buying a car in oz for working holiday(what car)

buying a car in oz for working holiday(what car)

Old Aug 2nd 2003, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default buying a car in oz for working holiday(what car)

Going on a working holiday visa to oz next jan 04 and maybe looking to buy a cheap car to get around for that year.

my first choice was to buy an old banger, then i thought get something better or even something more sporty but not expensive.

Really im not sure what i want go for something sporty but cheap or something that maybe i can sleep in from time to time like i think those station wagons etc i think thats what there called.

can anyone recommend good cars in oz that very rarely break down and not always need parts for and one that parts are easy to get for as i said above i might go for something basic or something more sporty not sure.

is it best to buy private or dealer?

is insurance high for cars in oz i drive but dont have a car in uk so dont have no claims, i borrow a car when i need one from time to time.

i think i have read something about rego is this required when buying a car in oz and what should i look for and request when buying one also anyother stuff i should know when buying a car private.

any mags or papers that show people selling cars online would be usefull any websites.

would be great to know other working holiday people out there who purchased a car for a year and why and which model and there thought about the car.
Old Aug 2nd 2003, 12:28 pm
Badge

Default Re: buying a car in oz for working holiday(what car)

without doubt a ford falcon station wagon mid 1980s - looks like a old Ford Granada

cost 1500-4000k. Go to an auction backpacker cars are over priced BIG TIME selling between backpackers. but the hostels are full of ads.

I bought 2 for 700 dollars each and sold for 1500 and 2000.

badgers

Old Aug 2nd 2003, 7:31 pm
Badge

sorry didn't give much info ..so here goes again.

from a backpackers perspective : to be honest without doubt a ford falcon station wagon mid 1980s - looks like a old Ford Granada. it will be called an XE or XF if I recall correctly equipped with a straight 6 4l engine designed to go to the moon and back. With either a floor or column gear shift. Some are practically falling apart - some better. with LCD dashboard readouts etc. Mine had done 270ks and was fine. A cheaper alternative is a Sigma. When you are cruising on the highway at 100k you will get best fuel economy anyways. A common fault is gasket failure/ injector problems; timing problems can be rectified for 50 dollars.

Could cost 1500-4000k from a backpacker. East coast more expensive than west. In 2002 prices fell quite a bit for cars of 1985-1988 which is about the years backpackers are driving. The hostels are full of sales. Go to an auction backpacker cars are over priced BIG TIME selling between backpackers. Locals would be shocked to know a 1986 was advertised for 3500 in 2002. (albeit with tent, esky stove etc) .

Pay half maybe at an auction. We got a 1989 newer shape EA Falcon for 1500.

Guranteed to make a profit when you sell it to a backpacker.

IN NSW and VIC where standards are generally higher you will need a current inspection slip I think called the pink slip or Road Worthy Cert to transfer the rego to yourself (fee applies) plus duty - agree a low figure for the transfer form to reduce the cost.

Try and get a WA plate as the car can be transferred without a roadworthy certificate. Hence WA cars are sought after by backpackers. Technically if you were to be resident in another state you would have to get the car plate transferred whcih involves a fee , and possibly inspected to a HIGHER standard I think eg. in NSW (blue slip rather than pink slip). But as a backpacker who cares?!!

you will also need to pay Compulsory insurance which may come with the car but is worth FA to you personally but is the legal minimum - get a quote for yourselves and the car.

If you can afford it go for a EA or EB which is the newer shape which came in about 1988. the newer shape will make it a far more enticing to sell to the next backpacker. Often has a multipoint 3.9 engine and are very nice cars IMHO. The EB went to the early 1990s before there was another face change.

badgers

Last edited by badgersmount; Aug 2nd 2003 at 7:34 pm.

Old Aug 2nd 2003, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

cheers for the info thats helped a lot, i was maybe thinking of getting something more sporty but im only there for a year so no need.

i looked up the xe models and xf models you mentioned on a website i have but i also looked at the ea models and eb models and these look ok.

some i saw where priced ok from 2000k to about 3000k but you say i could find one in an auction and get one for less which is even better, are these auctions in oz with cars checked out before put up for auction or is it just your luck in what you get and also do they come with those pink slips or rego whatever it is or does this cost on top of what the car is also if a car is purchased at auction is there duty to pay on that car or not.

i am planning to start off and stay a while at victoria,geelong area so any idea as to where i can get info on auctions im sure my relatives will know when i get there.

im not going till end of jan next year so plenty time yet im just trying to get as much info in adavnce right now on stuff so i am not trying and asking stuff in the last few days before i go.

everything i ask on this forum is noted and its great as i would not know half the info i know if it was not for this form site.
Old Aug 3rd 2003, 8:28 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by brian.w
cheers for the info thats helped a lot, i was maybe thinking of getting something more sporty but im only there for a year so no need.

i looked up the xe models and xf models you mentioned on a website i have but i also looked at the ea models and eb models and these look ok.

some i saw where priced ok from 2000k to about 3000k but you say i could find one in an auction and get one for less which is even better, are these auctions in oz with cars checked out before put up for auction or is it just your luck in what you get and also do they come with those pink slips or rego whatever it is or does this cost on top of what the car is also if a car is purchased at auction is there duty to pay on that car or not.

i am planning to start off and stay a while at victoria,geelong area so any idea as to where i can get info on auctions im sure my relatives will know when i get there.

im not going till end of jan next year so plenty time yet im just trying to get as much info in adavnce right now on stuff so i am not trying and asking stuff in the last few days before i go.

everything i ask on this forum is noted and its great as i would not know half the info i know if it was not for this form site.
FWIW I would back Badgers on this. While I was there I bought a newish small Hyundai and whilst it was OK as far as it went, it was small and I did have to take a 30% loss when I sold it on. (And the A/C broke down and that cost about AUD300 to replace.)

If I were doing it again as a backpacker I would definitely go the battered Falcon or Holden stationwagon route.
Old Aug 3rd 2003, 4:03 pm
Carol in Oz

Going on a working holiday visa to oz next jan 04 and maybe looking to buy a cheap car to get around for that year.

my first choice was to buy an old banger, then i thought get something better or even something more sporty but not expensive.

Really im not sure what i want go for something sporty but cheap or something that maybe i can sleep in from time to time like i think those station wagons etc i think thats what there called.

can anyone recommend good cars in oz that very rarely break down and not always need parts for and one that parts are easy to get for as i said above i might go for something basic or something more sporty not sure.

is it best to buy private or dealer?

is insurance high for cars in oz i drive but dont have a car in uk so dont have no claims, i borrow a car when i need one from time to time.

i think i have read something about rego is this required when buying a car in oz and what should i look for and request when buying one also anyother stuff i should know when buying a car private.

any mags or papers that show people selling cars online would be usefull any websites.

would be great to know other working holiday people out there who purchased a car for a year and why and which model and there thought about the car.

This is a NSW link - dont know what they do in other states.
www.rta.nsw.gov.au but might give you some info that might help.
Carol in Oz

Old Aug 4th 2003, 12:54 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Carol_in Oz
This is a NSW link - dont know what they do in other states.
www.rta.nsw.gov.au but might give you some info that might help.
Carol in Oz
One BIG disadvantage of a wagon is that if anybody can see all your stuff in the back of it so if you have to leave it for a couple of days whilst you are on an excursion you will have to take all your stuff or risk a break in.
Old Aug 4th 2003, 8:46 am
Badge

true - another alternative is the "panel van" variant of the station wagon. (look quite bizarre!) Both ford and holden do these. Not quite so prevalent.

Old Aug 5th 2003, 5:21 am
Just Joined

ianhs is an unknown quantity at this point

Brian
I would opt for a van, camper or 4wd eg toyota hiace,liteace(van) or (camper) or 4wd (toyota landcruiser), instead of a car. That way when I go to National Parks, bush, fruit picking or casula farm work I can camp at camping sites / caravan parks etc. once you cost out the local air-fares and motels and restaurant bills, the budget way is your own wheels, share driving & cost from other travellers and camp. Visit www.exploroz.com.au for a indepth insight for the traveller, or www.helpx.com.au for free lodging Xchange for work.
Hope this note helps you pick the type of wheels.. and have a great holiday

Ian
Old Aug 5th 2003, 6:53 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

"Sporty" seems to be a complete waste of time in Aus. The speed limits are just too low and well inforced.

By all means go for power if you want to tow or carry heavy loads, but sporty is pointless.

I was driving in Adelaide last week, following some really hot looking Holden. He let a gap open between him and the car in front and then let rip. A beautiful sound, but all he got was about 50 metres of satisfaction before having to slam the breaks on.

Out on the open road people avoid speeding because of the cameras.

I drove from Adelaide to Melbourne and back a few weeks ago along the Western Highway (I think that's what it's called). I put the cruise control on the limit for each section of the road. I reckon in 1500km of driving I was overtaken about 5 times. I saw 4 cameras, all in Victoria.