Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fly In Fly Out...

Fly In Fly Out...

Old Jul 14th 2008, 7:20 am
Just Joined

wexford lass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fly In Fly Out...

i hope someone can help me. my husband has been offered a great job with a great salary and package, from a company in WA but we want to live in Sydney, as we have family there. as beautiful as perth is i couldnt see myself settle there for more than a couple of years and it is important for us to settle as eldest daughter is in high school and we wouldnt want her to have to move school. her education is high on our priorities list.

anyway the company has offered to fly d hubby in and out of perth to sydney. he'll work 15 days on, 6 off. would the travelling be too much. d hubby seems to think it would be fine. how long is the flight? we will be living v close to the airport in sydney. it would only be for a couple of years, so we could save a lot of money to get a substantial deposit for a house. as we couldnt sell our house in ireland before we leave we need the money but we also want quality time as a family.

does anyone know anyone who works this arrangement, and does it work!!!

thanks anne marie

Last edited by wexford lass; Jul 14th 2008 at 7:22 am.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fly In Fly Out...

Doing 15 days on, 6 off wouldn’t be too bad doing it.

The flight is not too long, 4 – 5 hours (depending on wind speed etc).
So it’s definitely possible to do, not to mention all the Frequent Flyer points he’ll build up.

There are people at my work who do the Sydney to Perth commute at least twice a week – sometimes there and back in the one day (crazy). So it’s possible.

Good luck.

Mikey
Old Jul 14th 2008, 7:40 am
Just Joined

beanz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats a good roster. My husband is away for 4 weeks with one week off. It takes a bit of getting used to I think it would be hard with kids but its an excellent way to save. It takes 5 hours from Brisbane to Perth, then an hour or two flight to the site not sure about Perth to Sydney. I think the guys are so happy to get a break from working such long hours that the flight back home is not a problem - I don't suppose they'd think much of the flight back to work though!

Now and then I look for some sort of forum for the partners of FIFO workers but I haven't found one yet, if anyone finds one could they please post the link?
Old Jul 14th 2008, 7:44 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wexford lass
i hope someone can help me. my husband has been offered a great job with a great salary and package, from a company in WA but we want to live in Sydney, as we have family there. as beautiful as perth is i couldnt see myself settle there for more than a couple of years and it is important for us to settle as eldest daughter is in high school and we wouldnt want her to have to move school. her education is high on our priorities list.

anyway the company has offered to fly d hubby in and out of perth to sydney. he'll work 15 days on, 6 off. would the travelling be too much. d hubby seems to think it would be fine. how long is the flight? we will be living v close to the airport in sydney. it would only be for a couple of years, so we could save a lot of money to get a substantial deposit for a house. as we couldnt sell our house in ireland before we leave we need the money but we also want quality time as a family.

thanks anne marie
I don't do FIFO but I work with loads of guys that do. People in this office commute from Adelaide, Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne - even New Zealand! Some of the guys FIFO to site as well. An ex-colleague of mine does Kuala Lumpur to Adelaide and then onto Olympic Dam! I wouldn't do it but the guys who do, do it because of the higher salaries in WA.
Flying times are: Sydney-Perth 4.5-5hrs and 3.5-4hrs the other way.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:17 am
Just Joined

my goodnes this is a great forum. everyone so quick to reply....

its good to know that it is possible. he'll be flying from karratha to sydney so i think he will be working around the flights as they are not regular, so some weeks it could be 17 days on, 13 the next etc. now all we have to do wait for the contracts. thanks again.AM
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:23 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

my goodnes this is a great forum. everyone so quick to reply....

its good to know that it is possible. he'll be flying from karratha to sydney so i think he will be working around the flights as they are not regular, so some weeks it could be 17 days on, 13 the next etc. now all we have to do wait for the contracts. thanks again.AM
Karratha has scheduled flights - probably several a day, every day. Skywest fly there and possibly Qantas(?). So he will do Karratha-Perth-Sydney. Karratha is a major centre for the natural gas industry and is booming.

Edit:
I see Qantas fly Brisbane-Karratha. So that is another, possibly easier route from Sydney.

Last edited by Amazulu; Jul 14th 2008 at 8:29 am. Reason: STA
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Karratha has scheduled flights - probably several a day, every day. Skywest fly there and possibly Qantas(?). So he will do Karratha-Perth-Sydney. Karratha is a major centre for the natural gas industry and is booming.

Edit:
I see Qantas fly Brisbane-Karratha. So that is another, possibly easier route from Sydney.

i think the plan is karratha-sydney. the one flight to keep travel to a min. must check out qantas. thanks
Old Jul 14th 2008, 10:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

i think the plan is karratha-sydney. the one flight to keep travel to a min. must check out qantas. thanks
There are no flights between Karratha and Sydney.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:17 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

we will be living v close to the airport in sydney. it would only be for a couple of years, so we could save a lot of money to get a substantial deposit for a house. as we couldnt sell our house in ireland before we leave we need the money but we also want quality time as a family.

thanks anne marie
For a couple of years, you will be not seeing your husband 2 weeks out of every 3....

You may save a lot of money but have you thought about how it will affect your lives personally ?
If you have not had this arrangement in the past, think carefully first...

100k a year + super does not compensate adequately for that kind of relationship infringement in my opinion. It would need to be closer to 200k.....

Last edited by DownUnderPaddy; Jul 14th 2008 at 12:06 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:50 am
Just Joined

beanz is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes it can be very tough, it can break up marriages. My OH says its terrible at times hearing his workmates trying to discipline their children over the phone and the wives are upset, then the husbands get frustrated and angry about it all. Also there is the risk of the FIFO worker getting too involved in the drinking culture. Its no bed of roses.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:59 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Also if he is in Karratha, thats 2-3 hours from Perth at a guess, if he can get connecting flights. But its not a bad roster - not great but ok.

One of the biggest issues I come across with FIFO guys and families, is the disruption when they come home - for x weeks mummy is sole parent and manages well, then parter comes home, time at home loves seeing the kids, so spoils and lets them gte away with murder, then as quickly as he's arrived leaves again with routine shot to pieces. I;m not saying it happens to all but its another angle.

As others have posted for many its no picnic - why do you think the money is so good?
Old Jul 14th 2008, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

thanks so much for all your replies. we are in a dilemma, weighing up the pros and cons. the only offers we got for work in sydney are 100+super and are afraid that we may struggle . wa job is 154 basic+super+relocation etc. we really want to live in sydney and feel that it is a sacrifice we have to make for 2 years to set ourselves up . at the moment in ireland d hubby is working away all week also and home on a fri evening so i'm used to not having him around in the evenings. we really want to make the big move but not being able to sell our house has not left us in the best financial position(no lump sum to start off). its a tough one to call. they say money isnt everything but it sure as hell helps at the end of the day. its nice to hear other peoples opinions. a decision will have to be made soon. thanks again.