Reload this Page >

Buying a car in Oz

Buying a car in Oz

Old Mar 20th 2008, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

mabozaritchie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a car in Oz

Hi there,
Have been looking at a few car dealerships in Oz & used cars seem really expensive. Are they really that dear? Here in the UK you can get a 4 door mid range saloon with air con & toys 3 years old 10,000 miles £6000.
It seems for the same 12,000 Au$ the car is roughly 4 to 6 years old with bags of miles on it, is this true or are we looking at crap dealerships?
Cheers.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of
Default Re: Buying a car in Oz

hi there, no unfortunately used cars here are more expensive. We bought a 2 door toyota starlet that is 11 years old and in the UK we probably could have picked this up for about a 1000 pound or less, here it was double that and more. Used cars hold their prices better here, probably because they don;t have the same harsh weather elements to contend with so they don;t deteriorate to the same degree, i.e. there is not one bit of rust on the car. Still felt it was so wrong though handing over that kind of money for an 11 year old car though!!!!!
Old Mar 21st 2008, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

Cant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really nice

As said, used cars are a lot more expensive here. Probably because there is no M.O.T or equivalent to get the older 'death traps' of the road
Old Mar 21st 2008, 12:42 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cant rain all the time2
As said, used cars are a lot more expensive here. Probably because there is no M.O.T or equivalent to get the older 'death traps' of the road
No yearly equivalent but you still need a safety certificate to flog 'em on (in QLD anyway).

You'd think that with more older cars on the road (less rust, no regular test, etc) then this would mean cheaper prices.

I guess it comes down to supply and demand. If people pay $x then that is the price. Dunno if there has been a shift in prices over the years, sure someone will be along to put me straight.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

BlondieBonce. is an unknown quantity at this point

Have a look at new car prices, they are cheaper than in the UK, some times the difference between nearly new and new is minimal.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 12:53 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BlondieBonce.
Have a look at new car prices, they are cheaper than in the UK, some times the difference between nearly new and new is minimal.
Yeh, my old motto used to be 'buy 3 years old' (still in warranty and most of the depreciation has been worn by someone else) but I keep being told that you don't make the relative savings that you would in the UK.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

donovandenese will become famous soon enough

european brand cars eg BMW etc are more expensive in Oz than the UK, but Asian cars eg Hyundai, Toyota etc are generally cheaper in Oz than the UK.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 5:52 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by donovandenese
european brand cars eg BMW etc are more expensive in Oz than the UK, but Asian cars eg Hyundai, Toyota etc are generally cheaper in Oz than the UK.
not that many can afford bmw here
Old Mar 21st 2008, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

I drive a 1993 4-litre Ford Fairmount inherited from my husband and I am looking for a smaller, secondhand economical car because my car keeps costing a fortune in repairs. The repairs cost more than the value of the car. But I am frustrated by the high price of used smaller cars compared to the UK. The higher price is partly because of demand as petrol prices continue to soar and people want smaller cars instead of gas guzzlers

kips
Old Mar 21st 2008, 11:43 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donovandenese
Not just more expensive in terms of purchase price. Parts prices are higher and of course availability may be an issue.

I would steer clear of anything European and go Japanese in preference and any of the other asian manufacturers second. Ford and Holden are really not worth looking at in comparison imo when you look at the overall picture of quality, price, long term costs and service from dealerships.

A viewpoint shared by the greater proportion of Australians it seems also and for good reason.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

2004 LPG Magna with 60k and service history available for around $11k from auction (ex-government vehicle). Plenty of others to choose from.
The one I wanted to buy was a 05 Outback Safety Pack Manual with 59k and FSH. Sold for $23.3k.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 12:19 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mabozaritchie
Hi there,
Have been looking at a few car dealerships in Oz & used cars seem really expensive. Are they really that dear? Here in the UK you can get a 4 door mid range saloon with air con & toys 3 years old 10,000 miles £6000.
It seems for the same 12,000 Au$ the car is roughly 4 to 6 years old with bags of miles on it, is this true or are we looking at crap dealerships?
Cheers.
www.autotrader.com.au
www.redbookasiapacific.com/au/
www.johnhughes.com.au/
www.dvg.com.au/

Try these site for a comparison, but you are correct, 2nd hand are a lot dearer when compared to the UK.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 10:54 pm
ian

mabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mabozaritchie
Hi there,
Cheers.
Can't believe you have the same name as us.

My husbands nick name is mabozar and our surname is ritchie.

Carol
Old Mar 25th 2008, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

MUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really nice

A little question for my wife. Are most cars in Oz manual or auto transmission, unfortunately I have one of those wifes who says she cant drive an auto (or any cars unless she wears a particular pair of shoes !).
Old Mar 25th 2008, 7:55 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MUST LEAVE UK
A little question for my wife. Are most cars in Oz manual or auto transmission, unfortunately I have one of those wifes who says she cant drive an auto (or any cars unless she wears a particular pair of shoes !).
Lots of autos here. People love them...Bit of a generalisation, but probably because they can't drive very well (you'll see).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.