British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Buying car and moving state (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/buying-car-moving-state-391454/)

touchingcloth Aug 19th 2006 11:52 am

Buying car and moving state

Hi all,

Just wondering about the following scenario. Any advice appreciated.

I arrive in NSW, buy a NSW registered car and then move to Victoria to live.

Is there anything extra I need to do? i.e do I need reapply for Victoria registration etc? Or would the NSW rego do until it runs out.

Thanks

TC

Teliko21 Aug 19th 2006 12:22 pm

Re: Buying car and moving state

If it is registered to you in NSW to a NSW address then it is alot easier to get it re-registered in Vic.

Once you live in Vic you must change the rego to Vic registration and get vic plates. I think you are given 2 weeks to do this after you move but the Vicroads site will tell you all you need to know. You make an appointment over the phone, they will tell you whether a Vicroads officer will be inspecting your car or not, and then you go into Vicorads office for your appointment and pay for the plates, rego etc etc.

touchingcloth Aug 19th 2006 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Teliko21
If it is registered to you in NSW to a NSW address then it is alot easier to get it re-registered in Vic.

Once you live in Vic you must change the rego to Vic registration and get vic plates. I think you are given 2 weeks to do this after you move but the Vicroads site will tell you all you need to know. You make an appointment over the phone, they will tell you whether a Vicroads officer will be inspecting your car or not, and then you go into Vicorads office for your appointment and pay for the plates, rego etc etc.

Thanks Teliko..but how would they know when I moved? Would I be able to lie about when I moved?

Nod Aug 19th 2006 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Teliko21

Hi I'm moving from adelaide to victoria and have looked into this. Victoria gives you 3 months in which to re-register the car in Victoria. Once this has ben done you can then de-register the car in NSW

Nod

touchingcloth Aug 19th 2006 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Nod
Hi I'm moving from adelaide to victoria and have looked into this. Victoria gives you 3 months in which to re-register the car in Victoria. Once this has ben done you can then de-register the car in NSW

Nod

Cheers Nod!!! :)

Teliko21 Aug 20th 2006 6:43 am

Here is the link to the relevant page at Vicroads: