Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a car from drive.com.au

Buying a car from drive.com.au

Old Dec 2nd 2007, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

foxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nice
Default Buying a car from drive.com.au

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had used this site and got a good deal?

My husband and I are arriving in WA in January and will need to buy a car asap. Our budget is anything less than $10,000.

We are worried about buying second hand as neither of us have ANY car knowledge. We are thinking Toyota or Mitsubishi as we've both driven them before and liked them.

What can we realistically expect? The mileages seem so high. Will dealers throw in perks with a bit of haggling? We just want a reliable manual that will get us from a to job interviews with air-con!

Any help gratefully received!
Thanks,
Gemma

ps on a side note, we will obv have to hire a car for a week or so - any company recommendations?
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 3:42 pm
DMH
Forum Regular

DMH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying a car from drive.com.au

Originally Posted by foxall22
Hi,

My husband and I are arriving in WA in January and will need to buy a car asap. Our budget is anything less than $10,000.

We are worried about buying second hand as neither of us have ANY car knowledge. We are thinking Toyota or Mitsubishi as we've both driven them before and liked them.

What can we realistically expect? The mileages seem so high. Will dealers throw in perks with a bit of haggling? We just want a reliable manual that will get us from a to job interviews with air-con!

Thanks,
Gemma

ps on a side note, we will obv have to hire a car for a week or so - any company recommendations?
We're in teh same boat as you, and it seems that 2nd hand cars are a bit more expensive than they are in teh UK.

We were looking at big 4x4s and to get the same car over in Oz, you'll need to get one:

2-3 years older, or
with another 20-30,000 on the clock, or
a lot lower spec

Or pay about 20% more (my calculations) to get the same car.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 5:42 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks,
Gemma

Cars here hold their value much better than the UK. Higher mileages are the norm and not to be too worried about... Personally if I were you I'd look to buy private and pay for a proper inspection... you'll get more for your money... The warranty that dealers put on cars here (NSW) isn't worth the paper they're printed on so for me that negates any point in touching those sharks...
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 1:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DrWho
Cars here hold their value much better than the UK. Higher mileages are the norm and not to be too worried about... Personally if I were you I'd look to buy private and pay for a proper inspection... you'll get more for your money... The warranty that dealers put on cars here (NSW) isn't worth the paper they're printed on so for me that negates any point in touching those sharks...
Agree about used car warranties.

Using a dealer is more convenient but you'll pay for the privilege. You'll get more for your money going private.

Draw up a short list of preferred makes / models. Have a look at www.carsurvey.org for owner reviews on the models your interested in. Search the net. Make sure the car your looking at has some rego left and a safety certificate, then get the RAC to do an inspection. High mileage is the norm. Look for a full service history.

For $10k you'll get a decent Toyota Camry or Mitsubishi Magna, but they'll more than likely be automatics. Both large family cars in sedans and wagons.
Downsize from that would be the Corrolla or Lancer.

All the best.

Andy
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 5:14 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought from a dealer (in QLD) because of the 3 month statutory warranty.

I had a few issues with the car (the clutch had gone) however when I went to the dealer they had an answer for everything and basically said that it was down to me to prove that the clutch hadn't gone through "user error".

The warranty is worded in such a clever way that it is quite hard to get anything out of it.

In the end it turned out that the mechanic who serviced my car was lying about the clutch so it all woked out well (Beware of Ultratune!!! A simpl service almost cost me $1,500).

You should buy privately but make sure that you get a full RAC inspection done...In QLD they are about $250 but wll worth it!!!
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

foxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nice

Thanks very much for the replies.

Perhaps we are better off hiring a car for the first week and buying privately then...

How long was it until people found a second-hand car they were happy to buy?

Thanks,
Gemma
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 10:52 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps we are better off hiring a car for the first week and buying privately then...

Thanks,
Gemma
First car I looked at. Plenty for everyone so just have a good look on Drive and remember to check out the "user reviews".
Old Dec 4th 2007, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,
Gemma
I think so. Hire for a week or two, get your bearings etc, look at cars. Then you don't have to act in haste, repent at leisure....
Old Dec 4th 2007, 7:08 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,
Gemma
Bought a 4k v8 ute when ( actually 6 months before i arrived ) and a torana runaround for the missus until our car was shipped over.

Then bought proper ute about a yr later, and debs new car a year after that