Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a car in Brissie

Buying a car in Brissie

Old Jan 13th 2006, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buying a car in Brissie

I suppose one of the first things I need to do when I arrive in Brissie is to purchase a car to get around.

Anyone got any advice on who and where and what to look out for.

I looked online at second hand dealers and couldnt get over the mileage on some of the cars, or is it kilometerage?

I know the KM is more than the UKs mile, but when you see it written down and you are still in the UK and used to mileage figures, its a shock to see.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 12:07 pm
paradise in the redlands

neil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really nice
Default Re: Buying a car in Brissie

Originally Posted by manxfamily
I suppose one of the first things I need to do when I arrive in Brissie is to purchase a car to get around.

I looked online at second hand dealers and couldnt get over the mileage on some of the cars, or is it kilometerage?

I know the KM is more than the UKs mile, but when you see it written down and you are still in the UK and used to mileage figures, its a shock to see.
The cars are listed with kilometres on the clock so don't get too alarmed.
There are litterally loads of second hand car dealers around, but it really depends on what type of vehicle you are after. We went to the golden mile at moorooka, but was very unimpressed. They all seem to appear sharks and the quality is just not there. Apparantly, there is a dealer near the airport called iltons, who seem pretty good.
If you give us some idea on what you are after, maybe we can point you in the right direction.

Neil.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 12:09 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

I got mine from a guy in on Wynnum Rd in Tingalpa and got a good deal from him. My car had about 260,000kms on the clock (10 years old) but it's still going strong so why worry? I've put another 18,000kms on it in 4 months.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Just a car mate, you know the type - 4 wheels and some seats!

No seriously, not thought about type, but we dont have bottomless pockets so to start with I think a reliable run about for the family. Maybe upgrade once a job is found and the $$$s are rolling in!

I suppose reliable is the key word.

Originally Posted by neil.b
The cars are listed with kilometres on the clock so don't get too alarmed.
There are litterally loads of second hand car dealers around, but it really depends on what type of vehicle you are after. We went to the golden mile at moorooka, but was very unimpressed. They all seem to appear sharks and the quality is just not there. Apparantly, there is a dealer near the airport called iltons, who seem pretty good.
If you give us some idea on what you are after, maybe we can point you in the right direction.

Neil.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 12:13 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

No seriously, not thought about type, but we dont have bottomless pockets so to start with I think a reliable run about for the family. Maybe upgrade once a job is found and the $$$s are rolling in!

Mine's a Mazda (reliable) and cost me $7k (cheap)
Old Jan 13th 2006, 12:14 pm
paradise in the redlands

neil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really nice

If you shop around wisely and wave the notes under their noses you should get a decent runabout for around $7000.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks, 7K, that doesnt seem too bad. I heard that cars were not cheap in Oz, is this true?

Originally Posted by neil.b
If you shop around wisely and wave the notes under their noses you should get a decent runabout for around $7000.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 12:26 pm
paradise in the redlands

Thanks, 7K, that doesnt seem too bad. I heard that cars were not cheap in Oz, is this true?
The older cars, (late 80's to early 90's) are a little dearer than the Uk, but newer second hand and brand new cars are considerably cheaper here. We looked on the net before we got here, but it didn't really paint the full picture. Wait until you get here and then have a good look round. be warned though, we never found a dealer that opened on a Sunday, and alot seem to shut early on a saturday too
Old Jan 13th 2006, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Buy a copy of the trading post and you will see what prices the cars are going for and you will know if it's a good deal or not. If you can get a car with some good rego on and a safety certificate. You may also have to pay to have the car registered to you which cost's about $65.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 1:48 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
Mine's a Mazda (reliable) and cost me $7k (cheap)
That'll do us!

Cheers

Ginny