Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

buying a car before you arrive

buying a car before you arrive

Old Aug 15th 2007, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of
Default buying a car before you arrive

Our flights are booked (one way to Melbourne December 9th) and I have looked into car hire which is expensive so now I'm thinking we might buy a new car (Honda CRV probably) and hopefully, if possible, have it waiting for us at the airport when we arrive. So is this possible and if so what do I need to do?

Would I get a better deal hiring a car for a week and buying once there? I plan on emailing all of the Honda dealers in Melbourne to get their best "on the road" price and go with the best deal. Would I get a better deal "in person" when we arrive? Would I be right in saying I should get a good deal it being December when I buy due to the fact it's end of year?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of
Default Re: buying a car before you arrive

Originally Posted by gidxg03
Our flights are booked (one way to Melbourne December 9th) and I have looked into car hire which is expensive so now I'm thinking we might buy a new car (Honda CRV probably) and hopefully, if possible, have it waiting for us at the airport when we arrive. So is this possible and if so what do I need to do?

Would I get a better deal hiring a car for a week and buying once there? I plan on emailing all of the Honda dealers in Melbourne to get their best "on the road" price and go with the best deal. Would I get a better deal "in person" when we arrive? Would I be right in saying I should get a good deal it being December when I buy due to the fact it's end of year?

Thanks in advance.
Sorry posted in wrong forum. Could a mod please move this thread to the main Australia forum?

Thanks and sorry again.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 8:53 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

You Can do it. We did it for our santa fe, Perhaps a bit early to get a price, but then again then cars can take 2 months to arrive.

Make you ask whats in the price. As you get Dealer Delivery ($2000), duty, ctp insurance all added to the dealer price.

I think http://www.drive.com.au/ lets you email all the local dealers, or try the services of a car broker like www.privatefleet.com.au to get a better deal.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by datamile
You Can do it. We did it for our santa fe, Perhaps a bit early to get a price, but then again then cars can take 2 months to arrive.

Make you ask whats in the price. As you get Dealer Delivery ($2000), duty, ctp insurance all added to the dealer price.

I think http://www.drive.com.au/ lets you email all the local dealers, or try the services of a car broker like www.privatefleet.com.au to get a better deal.
Can I ask what you needed to do it before you arrived? What documentation did you need? How did you get on? Did you get a good price?
Old Aug 15th 2007, 9:06 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

I got about $6K of a hyundai santa fe, and they gave me a loan car as it was late getting delivered.

I went for tints and a towbar and so other extras which they effectivitly gave me for free.

I think I was quoted 43K->58K for the same car, guess which I picked.

You'll get it down to 2-3 dealer pretty quick, and they see who will play to get the deal.

Perhaps do some homework too, like the new xtrail is out in a couple of months, so the old model will be going on the cheap. drive.com.au has lots of reviews, or just ask in the barbie/main forum for owner recommendations as lots of people get 4x4 here. Most cars in QLD appear to be white.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

I love my Honda CRV, I love my Honda CRV, I love my Honda CRV (totally unsuitable and not what we went shopping for but....) I love my Honda CRV
Old Aug 15th 2007, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
I love my Honda CRV, I love my Honda CRV, I love my Honda CRV (totally unsuitable and not what we went shopping for but....) I love my Honda CRV
Tell me more. Why unsuitable? whats she like on juice? Any sign of a diesel? Did you buy new? How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?
Old Aug 15th 2007, 1:06 pm
DownUnder

Not many diesel out here, and most petrol stations will only have 1 diesel pump, but it is picking up with the increase in petrol prices and the full ecom of a diesel.

Petrol 1.10->1.23 ( It changes with the day of the Week-An oz thing)
Diesel 1.19->1.23 ( doesn't change much )

My santa fe 2.2 CRDI does around 7.8/100 on the highway, and 9.7/100 around town. To convert 282.5/x to get to miles per gallon. so 36 and 29. Depends if you're worried about petrol usage in the big 4x4

Kia Sorrento diesel is coming, but other diesel are fairly rare until the larger 4x4 like the prado.

for more 4x4 reviews, but we tested a few in the uk first, and decided we really like the 7 seat option for visitors and kids friends etc

http://carsguide.news.com.au/roadtes...001745,00.html
Old Aug 15th 2007, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by datamile
Not many diesel out here, and most petrol stations will only have 1 diesel pump, but it is picking up with the increase in petrol prices and the full ecom of a diesel.

Petrol 1.10->1.23 ( It changes with the day of the Week-An oz thing)
Diesel 1.19->1.23 ( doesn't change much )

My santa fe 2.2 CRDI does around 7.8/100 on the highway, and 9.7/100 around town. To convert 282.5/x to get to miles per gallon. so 36 and 29. Depends if you're worried about petrol usage in the big 4x4

Kia Sorrento diesel is coming, but other diesel are fairly rare until the larger 4x4 like the prado.

for more 4x4 reviews, but we tested a few in the uk first, and decided we really like the 7 seat option for visitors and kids friends etc

http://carsguide.news.com.au/roadtes...001745,00.html
Thanks for all the info datamile. Wonder what petrol consumption would be like on the 2.4 CRV?
Old Aug 15th 2007, 9:25 pm
DownUnder

Thanks for all the info datamile. Wonder what petrol consumption would be like on the 2.4 CRV?
I think its quoted at around 10/100.

CRV came out top in this review

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...eID=36829&vf=1
Old Aug 16th 2007, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Tell me more. Why unsuitable? whats she like on juice? Any sign of a diesel? Did you buy new? How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?
Unsuitable because we had a Renault Scenic in the UK and we promised the kids we would buy something here with 7 seats. However, when I realised the amount of short journeys I do every day and the fact that the majority of our journeys are without DS1 in the car, I decided I didn't want to drive a bus (aka a people carrier) just so DS2 could be comfy at the weekend! The CRV is nippy, fun to drive and looks nice. It is also unsuitable because it's much older than we had intended to buy (2001) but it was in fantastic condition and had fairly low mileage and a full service history - it's been serviced every 6 months without fail. We paid $17,300. We'll have to buy something else as well if we're going to do a lot of long journeys in the future but I do love my CRV Petrol-wise we filled it up for the first time yesterday since we got it - exactly two weeks ago. It cost $60. We had done a reasonable amount of around town driving with a few trips about an hour away.

Martha