Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a car in Australia

Buying a car in Australia

Old May 12th 2004, 7:50 pm
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light
Default Buying a car in Australia

I know how to buy a car in England, the salespeople in the showrooms basically have about 10-15% of the asking price to play with, pocketing the lot when someone comes in and doesnt haggle, and pocketting about 2% when you haggle for two hours with them. How does it work in Australia, is it similar, and does anyone know the percentages available on different makes of cars? Is it better to buy an Australian made car or is it better to go for an import, or are thay more expensive with import duties etc.
Old May 12th 2004, 11:41 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Buying a car in Australia

Originally posted by CadburysFingers
I know how to buy a car in England, the salespeople in the showrooms basically have about 10-15% of the asking price to play with, pocketing the lot when someone comes in and doesnt haggle, and pocketting about 2% when you haggle for two hours with them. How does it work in Australia, is it similar, and does anyone know the percentages available on different makes of cars? Is it better to buy an Australian made car or is it better to go for an import, or are thay more expensive with import duties etc.
Discounting is a very similar situation here.

This is a good site to get discounted prices.
http://www.discountnewcars.com.au/

Australian or Import ? That comes down to personal choice, depends what you are after, but local made is generally cheaper.

Old May 13th 2004, 10:27 am
Lanarkshire Lass

sandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the rough

Hey thanks for that website ABC it looks similar to Motorpoint in the UK
Old May 13th 2004, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by sandradee
Hey thanks for that website ABC it looks similar to Motorpoint in the UK

Just my thoughts but.....

The only difference is each offer you make is written on a contract which you have to sign before the salesman put it up to the boss.

When I bought my first one, the paperwork went back and forth so many times I started asking for holidays and a pension!

My view now is to decide what you're going to pay maybe let the yo-yo process go thorugh say twice. If it doesn't come good then, get up and walk away. The guy will either chase after you or you go down the road and try a different place. There isn't as much choice in models over here as in the UK and consequently there is always a few places that have your preferred vehicle.

Or you could try my cousins approach.

He walks into a showroom and says "I'll give you my car, you give me the keys to that ute and you pay stamp duty, transfer fee and licence. You've got half an hour to decide." Worked too.
Old May 13th 2004, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

Why do you have to sign the contract before he will put it to the boss? what is all that about? What is the point of that? Can't the salesman speak for himself or are they just trying to get you to decide on an offer & they will only accept it if it within the percentage mark up?

Very odd.

pockygoes
Old May 14th 2004, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by pockygoes
Why do you have to sign the contract before he will put it to the boss? what is all that about? What is the point of that? Can't the salesman speak for himself or are they just trying to get you to decide on an offer & they will only accept it if it within the percentage mark up?

Very odd.

pockygoes
It is a bit strange but I reckon it's just a way of getting the deal if they can persuade you to accept a certain figure.

Once you sign that paper you are committed! Like I said decide what you want to spend and stick to it.

Oh (sorry if I'm like a broken record) don't let them put any extras on. You'll pay stamp duty on the cost of those as well. Just take it back the next day for any extra bits.