Buying a car

Old Jul 12th 2012, 8:31 pm
Planning for the future

Emma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of light
Question Buying a car

Yello peeps
Just looking for some advice. In the uk we have a car on hp. When we come to Aus we need a car and won't have enough in the sale of our car to buy one outright so we will need a loan to buy one... Things I have considered

Getting a loan from bank (will this even be possible as I would have only just landed, husband has job so have got proof of income, if so do you think we could set it all up from the uk so the money will be in bank when arrive?)

Get on hp via a garage ( will I be able to as just landed, whats the general consensus with deposits are interest rates general higher than the banks?)

Any advise would be great, would love to hear from someone that's been in same boat

Thanks for reading
Old Jul 12th 2012, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a car

Originally Posted by Emma_Par
Yello peeps
Just looking for some advice. In the uk we have a car on hp. When we come to Aus we need a car and won't have enough in the sale of our car to buy one outright so we will need a loan to buy one... Things I have considered

Getting a loan from bank (will this even be possible as I would have only just landed, husband has job so have got proof of income, if so do you think we could set it all up from the uk so the money will be in bank when arrive?)

Get on hp via a garage ( will I be able to as just landed, whats the general consensus with deposits are interest rates general higher than the banks?)

Any advise would be great, would love to hear from someone that's been in same boat

Thanks for reading
If you are living in a city, with ample public transport and no need for a mid week car then renting a car on a weekend is actually cheaper over a year than buying one. No insurance and other costs. In sydney for example hire cars are generally under 50 dollars a day. We eventually bought one after 6 months
Old Jul 13th 2012, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Am sure nobody is going to lend you money before you get here, shouldn't be a massive issue once you get here and have an income.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 2:38 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma_Par
Yello peeps

Thanks for reading
There are motor finance companies that specifically market to low doc, new arrivals, poor credit history customers etc...think very carefully before using one...they are often offering a pretty awful deal.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 2:47 am
Just Joined

Ozrible is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I agree with bc world. be very, very careful who you deal with.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 3:12 am
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

You could do what we did, we bought a 8 year old "Aussie 6" (as in cheap to run & insure) car on our credit card from a dealer (getting a years warranty too), paying approx 20% interest on the purchase. the HP offered by the dealer was 16% plus approx $400 in "fees". since arriving we have been offered 18 months at 3.99% on balance transfers from westpac so the purchase will end up being quite reasonable.

Last edited by derab; Jul 14th 2012 at 3:17 am.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Avoid dealer finance as even a franchised main dealer is out to get as much out of you as they can and will try and get you to sign up for as much useless add ons as they can screw you for. We were even offered gap protection on a brand new car and the finance guy only backed off when I pointed out the insurance company would replace the car with a new one anyway for the first year. Refuse to pay any origination fee which we unfortunately fell for.

Make sure any price quoted on a vehicle is Driveaway or you will not be happy when you actually pay for the vehicle.

Get a straightforward loan from someone legitimate such as Suncorp or the like and you will be less likely to make a silly mistake while under the pressure of the car dealer.

It is also worth looking on carsales .com.au and use the search for brand new cars in stock and you might get a surprise as to what is available compared to the ridiculous prices asked for second hand cars in Australia.

Maybe not everyones cup of tea but a Brand new Mitsubishi Lancer with 5yr/10yr warranty, capped price servicing and 5 star ancap for $17990 driveaway makes a certain amount of sense compared to a lot of second hand motors out there.

Last edited by neil248; Jul 14th 2012 at 7:38 am.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 5:23 pm
Planning for the future

Emma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks everyone, some great advise, thanks again