British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   buying a car (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/buying-car-662438/)

Carl England Apr 3rd 2010 7:09 am

buying a car

Hello all

I am arriving in Brisbane in 5 weeks and will be buying a car, there is me the wife and 4 kids, so a big car will be needed. (something like a people carrier)
I am from the uk and here we have to have a yearly MOT, yearly car tax and insurance. what is the procedure for keeping a car on the road in Oz.
all information will be greatly recieved
Thanks
Carl :confused:

Cant rain all the time2 Apr 3rd 2010 9:26 am

Re: buying a car

Pay rego and........................that's about it. This is the reason there are so many piles of junk still on the road out here. I reckon a good 40% of the cars should be off the road and scrapped!

Carl England Apr 4th 2010 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Cant rain all the time2 (Post 8469358)
Pay rego and........................that's about it. This is the reason there are so many piles of junk still on the road out here. I reckon a good 40% of the cars should be off the road and scrapped!

Thanks for that

Can you tell me how much that is and how often you have to pay it. what is entailed within that and kind of car test?

Thanks
Carl

Cant rain all the time2 Apr 4th 2010 11:15 pm

The amount varies depending on the size of the engine. You can renew it for between 3 and 12 months, ours is around $480 for 2.0 petrol for 12 months, the renewal comes through the post and we just pay it online. This includes third party insurance but we have a seperate policy to make it fully comprehensive.

When you say car test do you mean mot? There is no such thing here, no test. You will see plenty of cars with smoke belching out the back, crabbing down the road with the front all smashed up after a collision but if it still moves it will still be driven.

Carl England Apr 5th 2010 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Cant rain all the time2 (Post 8472313)
The amount varies depending on the size of the engine. You can renew it for between 3 and 12 months, ours is around $480 for 2.0 petrol for 12 months, the renewal comes through the post and we just pay it online. This includes third party insurance but we have a seperate policy to make it fully comprehensive.

When you say car test do you mean mot? There is no such thing here, no test. You will see plenty of cars with smoke belching out the back, crabbing down the road with the front all smashed up after a collision but if it still moves it will still be driven.

Hello

Thanks for that, can't believe that that is all that is needed