buying a car

Old Apr 8th 2009, 3:52 pm
MickyBhoy

mickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to all
Default buying a car

Hi guys
will be buying a car on arrival second hand one
what do i need to look out for when buying one private
i take it will be diffrent from the uk were you look for Tax MOT etc
and i see cars are not in miles.

once you buy a car is it just a case of insuring it or are there other thing s i need to do

thanks

Mick
Old Apr 9th 2009, 12:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: buying a car

Originally Posted by mickpower75
Hi guys
will be buying a car on arrival second hand one
what do i need to look out for when buying one private
i take it will be diffrent from the uk were you look for Tax MOT etc
and i see cars are not in miles.

once you buy a car is it just a case of insuring it or are there other thing s i need to do

thanks

Mick
Make sure that it does not have any outstanding debt on it.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Any idea to what state you are living in because I believe that rules on car ownership are slightly different.

In Victoria you don't have an annual MoT although the car must have had a road safety inspection when sold before it can be transferred into your name. Also in Victoria if you buy from a dealer they will arrange the safety inspection however if you buy privately the seller doesn't have to provide the safety certificate - and leave it up to the buyer to sort out. If you don't know much about cars then it's probably best to make sure that the seller has the safety certificate because you could be left with a nasty repair bill should you have to get one.

If you buy from a dealer take proof of an address so they can send off the registration forms.

Make sure the car has a valid tax sticker in the window - the 'rego' as they call it. I've heard that it can be hassle trying to get a car reregistered if it has expired. The rego has to be renewed each year for a cost of around $600 - at least in Victoria.

The rego fee also insures you for 3rd party injury - in case you hurt somebody. However, this doesn't cover you for damage costs to other vehicles, property etc so yes make sure that you have insurance on top.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 7:16 am
MickyBhoy

mickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
Any idea to what state you are living in because I believe that rules on car ownership are slightly different.

In Victoria you don't have an annual MoT although the car must have had a road safety inspection when sold before it can be transferred into your name. Also in Victoria if you buy from a dealer they will arrange the safety inspection however if you buy privately the seller doesn't have to provide the safety certificate - and leave it up to the buyer to sort out. If you don't know much about cars then it's probably best to make sure that the seller has the safety certificate because you could be left with a nasty repair bill should you have to get one.

If you buy from a dealer take proof of an address so they can send off the registration forms.

Make sure the car has a valid tax sticker in the window - the 'rego' as they call it. I've heard that it can be hassle trying to get a car reregistered if it has expired. The rego has to be renewed each year for a cost of around $600 - at least in Victoria.

The rego fee also insures you for 3rd party injury - in case you hurt somebody. However, this doesn't cover you for damage costs to other vehicles, property etc so yes make sure that you have insurance on top.
We are moving to Perth.
Thanks for all the advice i think i will buy from a dealer first of all at least i might have some come back if anything oges wrong.

do they have a breakdown cover company like the AA in the uk??
Old Apr 9th 2009, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

We are moving to Perth.
Thanks for all the advice i think i will buy from a dealer first of all at least i might have some come back if anything oges wrong.

There's the RAC and NRMA. Don't know if they are active in Perth you would have to check.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 7:28 am
MickyBhoy

There's the RAC and NRMA. Don't know if they are active in Perth you would have to check.
Many thanks will look into it

thanks again

Mick
Old Apr 9th 2009, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Kryptonix will become famous soon enoughKryptonix will become famous soon enough

I'm doing the same, the only other thing I will look out for is working air-con.. as depending on your price range some cars I've seen online have had faulty\intermittent air-con..
Old Apr 9th 2009, 10:44 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

We are moving to Perth.

For your first point: Just as in the UK there are many sharks selling second hand cars and also the second hand car market, at least where we are in NSW, is an unbelievable rip off :curse: buying a second hand car stressed us out more than any other single aspect of the move. We needed two cars, had very little money and wanted something reliable. After a long search we bought a Toyota corolla 2000 for $6.5K and a few weeks alter a VW beetle 1970 for $2.5K. The garages selling cars under $10K offered no more warranty than you are offered by law- in the end we bought privately from a finance guy after he advised us against getting finance for a car at the garage on our income. We got the VW from ebay from a teacher who ended the auction and sold under the reserve to us after we met up with her and made friends. So far, so good, but it's such an outlay of cash and such a headache trying to cope without while you sort it- and we had a loan car from my mum most the time!

PS both cars we took for a long test drive and the toyota we gave the aircon a thorough test!!!!

Second point- see NRMA, good for insurance and breakdown cover- our VW costs us $300 a year fully comp :wub

Last edited by bourbon-biscuit; Apr 9th 2009 at 10:45 am. Reason: the second point!
Old Apr 9th 2009, 10:47 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

PS: see http://www.redbook.com.au/ for average car costs and mileage (kilometerage??)
Old Apr 9th 2009, 10:48 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: buying a car

RAC is nationwide. They have separate divisions in each state (ie. RACT; RACQ, etc.)