Buying a car?

Old Aug 10th 2007, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

andym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the rough
Default Buying a car?

When you first arrive in OZ what do you buy a car other than money of cause?

Permanent address?
Australian drivers licence?
Insurance? Someone told me the tax disc (rego) out there is a third party insurance!

What do I need?
Old Aug 10th 2007, 10:36 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a car?

You can buy a car even before you get here, we did.

I think for the registration you need meet the registration requirements. I used my passport/visa and two credit cards. Queensland has compulsory third party (CTP) insurance which have to buy with the car.

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home...stration_fees/

For qld, I used a friend's address, and then you can change it online for free.

For fully comp, you can organise at any point via the web. Check around as they vary a lot, and bring any proof of no claims that you have. You won't need it to apply but they might ask for it if you claim.

For qld, you need a licence within 3 months of arriving. Most people use the 3 months so that you don't get points on your aus license. Speeding fines etc are pretty tough out here.

In qld to get a licence, you go to you local service centre, fill in the form, bring 100 points of ID ( passport, two credit cards or medicare etc ), proof of address ( rental agreement ), take your UK driving license. They take your picture, and lots of cash ( $75 for 5 years I think ), and you get it. A year ago you had to take the test, but UK is considered a comparable country now.

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home/Licensing/
Old Aug 10th 2007, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

andym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the rough

Sorry, I guess the question should be drive a car that you own i.e. not a hire car!
Old Aug 10th 2007, 10:52 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Drive a shipped car, or buy one here ?
Old Aug 10th 2007, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to all

Licence/Address - as mentioned by PP change your licences as soon as you get here, we applied for our licences in the transport centre and it took about 30 mins (most of that was the queues) We used an address of the apartments we were staying in as our postal address and once you find your own house you just apply for a new address label online which you can attach to the back of your licence.

We could have bought a car without an Oz driving licence but the car showroom was quite pleased that we had them as he said it saves more paperwork.

The car showroom will sort out the rego for you and again we used our apartments address to do this and then have just changed it to our home address.

Third party insurance does come with the rego but be careful because we were told this is basically insurance "for if you kill someone" So it's like a third party personal injury cover. Basically if you write off someone elses car you still need to pay out for their damage. Our second hand car was only $5000, if we were in a crash and wrote off (for example) a $30,000 BMW or such like, we'd be a lot of $$$$ out of pocket!

We have now got the next level of insurance up which will pay the costs if we were to damage another car in an accident. Our car is really not worth that much so we decided against fully comp for the time being. Just so long as we were covered against 3rd party damage.

We did it online with Budget who were really reasonable, but any NCB from the UK is only considered on fully comp insurance.

Good luck!