Buying a car ?

Old Jan 7th 2004, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default Buying a car ?

Hi i am going to oz in a few weeks time for 12 months and im going to need a car.

It will be my first purchase as i will be kind of lost without one, i was wondering can anyone recommend where the best place would be to get one and the cheapest.

There is private, dealers and also auctions whats the best place?

Also can anyone recommend a car not looking to pay a lot for one as its just to get me from a to b and about for the 12 months and then sold again.

I dont have much of a clue as to whats good and what to keep away from and what most temp people buy when over there.

as i said i dont want to waste most of my money on a car as i will need most of it to keep me going if i cant find a job asap.

also tell me what i would need to buy or get when car is purchased rego?

insurance?- is this needed over there as i hear that a lot of people dont bother with it is this correct?

If it is needed then i would only want cover if i damage another person or persons car not bothered about the one i buy as it would be old anyway.

also while i am on the subject can anyone give me some good cheap online oz insurance companys.

I will be going to melbourne, well outside it.

I have driven since i was old enough to drive and drive real often using parents car etc but i dont have my own would this make any difference to what the insurance will cost me its not as if i have not driven or driven for a while i have and do drive a lot its just i am driving another persons car which is covered for me to drive, do you think this would help me in getting cheaper quote if i maybe had a copy saying i was covered to drive.

any help on the above would be great as this is my first job when i get there apart from a few other little things
Old Jan 8th 2004, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

evorobin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying a car ?

Originally posted by brian.w
Hi i am going to oz in a few weeks time for 12 months and im going to need a car.
In that case welcome to magna heaven. Buy a Mitsubishi Magna (85-88 for arguments sake) for about £500- and then it will come with road tax (rego to you) and insure with SHANNONS (classic insurers but they insure my golf so trust me) for about £100 and your all set.

Personally the Magnas with auto boxes are less hassle and there are LOADS so make sure its a good one. Watched a program the other day where a young gun finance media guru was extolling the virtues of old magnas so maybe I'm not alone on this one.

Enjoy your cheap motoring like we do. Oh yeah buy one with air-con (preferably SE model as it comes with mag wheels, cruise control etc) as they are heaps easier to sell when you need to go home. 35pence / litre for unleaded so don't be scared of the 2.6L motor it's only a 4 cylinder mate

Last edited by evorobin; Jan 8th 2004 at 5:48 am.