Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a campervan with no fixed abode

Buying a campervan with no fixed abode

Old Jul 29th 2009, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Ianevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to all
Default Buying a campervan with no fixed abode

Hi,
just wondering if anyone has bought a campervan as soon as they arrived in Oz and had no address for the registration document.How did you do it?
Thanks
Old Jul 29th 2009, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

msn81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying a campervan with no fixed abode

Originally Posted by Ianevs
Hi,
just wondering if anyone has bought a campervan as soon as they arrived in Oz and had no address for the registration document.How did you do it?
Thanks
I assume the requirements are pretty similar for all states. Just visit a RTA motor registry office with ID, Transfer Forms etc. Get something from the hostel / hotel where you stay, like a receipt, but something that shows the address / letter-headed paper and also your name on it. You get all the rego documentation you need on the spot from the RTA office.

I remember taking a rent receipt to the RTA as proof of address in Cairns. This was a hand written docket from the landlord on a 'receipt book' he probably bought from the dollar store! Not very official looking, but worked all the same.

You may also need a Aussie Driving License, which is also done on the spot at the RTA office.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 12:09 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

You do the price of campervans here ? Anything more than a old vw camper will cost 3 times more than the uk.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 2:07 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ianevs
Hi,
Thanks
Look up Big 4 and get the details of the first place you intend to stay after buying the vehicle

Any chance your purchasing in Victoria?
Old Jul 30th 2009, 2:26 am
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

If you write a cover letter for the transport agency saying you're a traveller, then it should be OK. Which state you'll be in, where the camper van is registered, and where you'll want to end up living will be factors to consider when buying.
It can be a pain to transfer ownership if you're not in the same state as the camper is registered, unless it's WA rego as that's easy. All the states have different rules, so where will you be arriving?
Old Jul 30th 2009, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

craig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant future

You don't need an Australian drivers license to register a car here, indeed having a drivers license isn't a requirement to register a car at all. Obviously you need a current drivers license to use it.

I registered our UK car (imported) in Qld using my UK license, I am yet to change over (thinking of returning). ID used was original V5, Passport(s) and an HSBC Mastercard. I had the lease for our rental property however they didn't copy/use it and used the address that I provided without question.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

msn81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Regards to Licensing - it also depends on which type of visa you hold, if you have residency i.e. Permanent visa or a special category visa, you are meant to get a Aussie license after 3 months. At least I know this is the case for QLD and NSW.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

Ianevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Look up Big 4 and get the details of the first place you intend to stay after buying the vehicle

Any chance your purchasing in Victoria?
I was thinking about landing in Queensland,but am flexible.