Reload this Page >

Buying a business & house

Buying a business & house

Old Jan 27th 2010, 5:03 am
nja
Forum Regular

nja is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a business & house

I'm currently in Australia to complete my visa validation. I have a 175MODL visa and just visited a real estate agent. They told me that I am NOT eligible to buy a property until I have Australian citizenship. Are they mistaken? This also concerns me because my OH was also going to buy as small coffee shop. Will we be able to buy a business?

I was under the impression that as we have a permanent resisdent visa that we could buy property buisness and/or house.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.'

Concerned ....
Old Jan 27th 2010, 5:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a business & house

The agent is wrong, of course you can buy a house. I am sure a business also.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

vsuccess has a brilliant futurevsuccess has a brilliant futurevsuccess has a brilliant futurevsuccess has a brilliant futurevsuccess has a brilliant futurevsuccess has a brilliant futurevsuccess has a brilliant future

Anyone can buy a business in Australia even on a temporary visa. Regarding property, you might have difficulty getting mortgage as you are new and I assume that you don't have a job in Australia. However on cash payment you can surely buy property.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 6:22 am
Banned

Ozwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to all

Originally Posted by nja
I'm currently in Australia to complete my visa validation. I have a 175MODL visa and just visited a real estate agent. They told me that I am NOT eligible to buy a property until I have Australian citizenship. Are they mistaken? This also concerns me because my OH was also going to buy as small coffee shop. Will we be able to buy a business?

I was under the impression that as we have a permanent resisdent visa that we could buy property buisness and/or house.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.'

Concerned ....
They are mistaken and do shop around with a few agents, particularly with buying a business and seek some info from a Small Business Association and some states have a Small business section as part of a larger department, Department of Consumer Affairs or somrthing like that.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

wilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of light

Having watched Wanted Down Under,for the last 3 weeks, iv learnt that as long as you can provide 6 - 12 months evidence of employment in Australia then you can buy a house. However, it did mention that it may be harder on a temporary visa but there are many places that will still give you a mortgage. Obviously, if its a cash purchase then there shouldnt be any problem
Old Jan 27th 2010, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wilson01
Having watched Wanted Down Under,for the last 3 weeks, iv learnt that as long as you can provide 6 - 12 months evidence of employment in Australia then you can buy a house. However, it did mention that it may be harder on a temporary visa but there are many places that will still give you a mortgage. Obviously, if its a cash purchase then there shouldnt be any problem
The question as far as temporary visa holders is concerned is not whether you can get a mortgage, it is whether you are permitted to purchase property in Australia. You used to have to get permission from the Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB). I know they have recently relaxed some of the rules, but a temporary resident would need to investigate what legal hoops they would need to jump through first. The estate agent probably realised there was a restriction on foreigners buying property, but didn't realise that PR holders are exempt from that.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 9:45 am
nja
Forum Regular

nja is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by louie
The question as far as temporary visa holders is concerned is not whether you can get a mortgage, it is whether you are permitted to purchase property in Australia. You used to have to get permission from the Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB). I know they have recently relaxed some of the rules, but a temporary resident would need to investigate what legal hoops they would need to jump through first. The estate agent probably realised there was a restriction on foreigners buying property, but didn't realise that PR holders are exempt from that.
Thanks all. Your responses have helped tremendously