Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Travel insurance for non residents. Any ideas please?

Travel insurance for non residents. Any ideas please?

Old Feb 20th 2017, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light
Default Travel insurance for non residents. Any ideas please?

My grandson and his father, who are in Aus on tourist visas, are making a short visit to Fiji and we have been looking for travel insurance. So far Australian insurance companies we have looked at are only quoting for Australian residents or residents entitled to Medicare cards. The British ones we looked at only insure for trips from UK.

Is a anyone aware of more flexible policies or insurance companies we can try?

I'm very grateful for all the helpful advice I have found over the years from the wonderful BE community so thanks guys!
Old Feb 20th 2017, 11:23 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel insurance for non residents. Any ideas please?

Originally Posted by quercus
My grandson and his father, who are in Aus on tourist visas, are making a short visit to Fiji and we have been looking for travel insurance. So far Australian insurance companies we have looked at are only quoting for Australian residents or residents entitled to Medicare cards. The British ones we looked at only insure for trips from UK.

Is a anyone aware of more flexible policies or insurance companies we can try?

I'm very grateful for all the helpful advice I have found over the years from the wonderful BE community so thanks guys!
Surely their existing travel insurance will cover them?
Old Feb 20th 2017, 12:13 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Surely their existing travel insurance will cover them?
That's what I was thinking. If they've got TI for x months covering Aus, it'll be worldwide cover and will cover them for a side visit to Fiji.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 12:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
That's what I was thinking. If they've got TI for x months covering Aus, it'll be worldwide cover and will cover them for a side visit to Fiji.
Or perhaps they've chosen Australia/NZ only and not worldwide? If so my suggestion would be to contact the original insurer to see if the coverage on the existing policy can be widened which of course will mean paying extra premiums. Apologies if that's incorrect because I didn't understand the circumstances in the original post frankly.

When we go to Australia from the UK we get insurance which covers Australia/NZ only and countries en-route because it is much cheaper than worldwide cover.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 12:44 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Or perhaps they've chosen Australia/NZ only and not worldwide? If so my suggestion would be to contact the original insurer to see if the coverage on the existing policy can be widened which of course will mean paying extra premiums. Apologies if that's incorrect because I didn't understand the circumstances in the original post frankly.

When we go to Australia from the UK we get insurance which covers Australia/NZ only and countries en-route because it is much cheaper than worldwide cover.
You've done this more recently than me so you're probably right. I was trying to remember 12 year old travel insurance details. So how does it work with the 'countries en-route' bit? As far as I can remember I used to get Europe, US or worldwide.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You've done this more recently than me so you're probably right. I was trying to remember 12 year old travel insurance details. So how does it work with the 'countries en-route' bit? As far as I can remember I used to get Europe, US or worldwide.
Just had a look at our last policy! It was purchased via moneysupermarket.com and I entered our dates of travel, ages, where we wanted to travel, not skiing or doing extreme sports etc and I picked out one policy from the hundreds with different companies which came out.

The last 3 policies have all been single trip, not annual and have been from ANZ Plus dot com. I notice if you go direct to their site you only get the option of Worldwide or Worldwide excluding US and Canada with an annual policy but we do a single trip policy and it is narrower - Australia and NZ only.

So - if it is a single trip policy it probably specifically covers just Australia and NZ but if it's an annual policy it will either be worldwide or worldwide excl US and Canada which obviously includes Fiji. If OP is asking about a side trip it would appear not to be covered.

In the fine print of most travel insurance policies it will say countries en-route are covered. After all, if you got off the plane on the way and got mugged, lost valuables or had an accident or your luggage got lost transferring it to another flight you'd want cover. Most policies will also cover you going to the airport for your outbound flight also.

https://www.anzplus.com/main/step1
Save
Old Feb 20th 2017, 11:54 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

How about pay for the trip with your credit c ard and use their free travel insurance
Old Feb 21st 2017, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

Fardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the rough

Try World Nomads, they let you choose your country of residency - in this case UK. Might be relatively expensive though, any medical repatriations if needed will be to Oz or NZ.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 4:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I had this problem. I was in the UK on a visit then decided to pop over to Austria for a quick ski trip. I couldn't get insurance in the UK as was non resident and the travel insurance company in Australia wouldn't add ski insurance as it was after the date the policy commenced.

I can't recall why I did in the end. I think it was a case of phoning around a lot of companies in Australia finding one who would take on the insurance...... and I paid a lot for it if I recall correctly.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yafm
How about pay for the trip with your credit c ard and use their free travel insurance
Good advice however not all credit cards have associated travel insurance.

You can select worldwide including or excluding USA etc., and in many cases you can select just a few countries ie: Australia and New Zealand.

I always select worldwide as you just never know...

Sorry OP can't help with your question.
Old Apr 8th 2017, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

rvs22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Contact Insubuy. They are based in the US and they would be able to help you in this situation.
Old Apr 8th 2017, 6:21 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rvs22
Contact Insubuy. They are based in the US and they would be able to help you in this situation.
New poster. 2 posts. One in the Canada forum, one in the Australian forum. Both recommending a US based insurance company. You'd have to forgive people for thinking you have a particular agenda in joining BE
Old Apr 8th 2017, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

rvs22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
New poster. 2 posts. One in the Canada forum, one in the Australian forum. Both recommending a US based insurance company. You'd have to forgive people for thinking you have a particular agenda in joining BE
spouse of scouse,

If you look at my details, you will see that I joined in July 2006. That is over 10 years ago.

You really think that someone would wait over 10+ years to spam the forum with hidden agenda?
Old Apr 8th 2017, 6:52 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

spouse of scouse,

If you look at my details, you will see that I joined in July 2006. That is over 10 years ago.

You really think that someone would wait over 10+ years to spam the forum with hidden agenda?
Hey, I didn't say you were. I just said one would have to be forgiven for thinking that
Old Apr 8th 2017, 7:43 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

spouse of scouse,

After my years on this forum, yes, I could believe it. I've seen people do it before

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.