Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying BMW to be shipped to UK, advice please

Buying BMW to be shipped to UK, advice please

Old Feb 6th 2006, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

abboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud of
Default Buying BMW to be shipped to UK, advice please

Hi everybody,
I posted a used BMW car for sale in the net and then someone from London tried to contact me through email and and asking me information and very interested in my car, he will ship the car to UK. I am not sure if this is for real. Can anyone give me an idea or advice why someone wants to buy a used BMW 5 series to be shipped to UK. I would like to be cautious but not wanting to put him off if he is really a genuine buyer.

Any advice or opinions are welcome.

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 6th 2006, 6:03 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying BMW to be shipped to UK, advice please

Originally Posted by abboy
Hi everybody,
I posted a used BMW car for sale in the net and then someone from London tried to contact me through email and and asking me information and very interested in my car, he will ship the car to UK. I am not sure if this is for real. Can anyone give me an idea or advice why someone wants to buy a used BMW 5 series to be shipped to UK. I would like to be cautious but not wanting to put him off if he is really a genuine buyer.

Any advice or opinions are welcome.

Thanks in advance
There is no reason - unless its an M5 and even then he'd be mental because Germany is closer. Be very very very wary.

Why would someone pay a 2K+ premium(shipping) for a used 5 series ? esp when Aussie used values are higher than UK used values - ie they're cheaper in UK so 2k would get you up a couple of years or engine sizes.
Old Feb 6th 2006, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

abboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by spalen
There is no reason - unless its an M5 and even then he'd be mental because Germany is closer. Be very very very wary.

Why would someone pay a 2K+ premium(shipping) for a used 5 series ? esp when Aussie used values are higher than UK used values - ie they're cheaper in UK so 2k would get you up a couple of years or engine sizes.
Thank you for your reply
I made a search and found that used cars in UK are cheaper , and yes, Germany is closer to UK. This confirms my suspicion.
Old Feb 6th 2006, 6:20 am
ABCDiamond

And I bet he wants to pay for it with a cheque that is for a few K more than the car, and would you please transfer the balance by Western Union to him, preferably before the bank advise you that the cheque hasn't cleared after all.

More often than not, the banks will clear the cheque, and then bounce it a few days later.
This happened to us a few years ago, when a Nigerian bought a load of ink cartridges from us. I was curious, so I banked the cheque. Never did send the goods though

But our UK bank advised us verbally that the cheque was OK, even though we requested special checking as we were suspicious. I think it was 6 days after "it cleared", that it then bounced !!

So BEWARE !!

Old Feb 6th 2006, 6:39 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
And I bet he wants to pay for it with a cheque that is for a few K more than the car, and would you please transfer the balance by Western Union to him, preferably before the bank advise you that the cheque hasn't cleared after all.

More often than not, the banks will clear the cheque, and then bounce it a few days later.
This happened to us a few years ago, when a Nigerian bought a load of ink cartridges from us. I was curious, so I banked the cheque. Never did send the goods though

But our UK bank advised us verbally that the cheque was OK, even though we requested special checking as we were suspicious. I think it was 6 days after "it cleared", that it then bounced !!

So BEWARE !!

And for a laugh read this - takes 5 minutes buts its very very good

http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

just proves not all scams come from our friends on the african continent.
Old Feb 6th 2006, 7:33 am
ABCDiamond

It took more than 5 minutes

Very Very Good !! Loved it

Old Feb 6th 2006, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Pickle has a spectacular aura aboutPickle has a spectacular aura aboutPickle has a spectacular aura about

thats made my day.
I had someone try to scam me a few years back on a old VW camper i was selling. I worked it out that he was from nigeria. its anoying when it happens as you really think you've got a sale.