Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buy someone you love a goat this Christmas!

Buy someone you love a goat this Christmas!

Old Dec 2nd 2004, 8:01 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buy someone you love a goat this Christmas!

Well, that's what the add on the forum says anyhoo!

Anyone ever bought a goat, sheep or aardvark for their beloved at chrimbo?

What pets can you legally keep in Aus I wonder?
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 8:32 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buy someone you love a goat this Christmas!

Originally Posted by tonyk38
Well, that's what the add on the forum says anyhoo!

Anyone ever bought a goat, sheep or aardvark for their beloved at chrimbo?

What pets can you legally keep in Aus I wonder?
As we just completed the purchase on our block of land yesterday I can give you the info straight from the search.

Dogs 2

Goats [no billies] up to 1000m2 nil

Horses [no stallions] 1001m2 - under 2ha 1 horse or 1 cattle or 2 goats or 2 sheep.

Cattle [no bulls] 2ha- under 5ha 2 horses or 2 cattle or 4 goats or 4 sheep

Sheep [no rams] 5 ha and over number will depend upon land quality and watering facilities

Poultry 20

Rabbits NOT ALLOWED

Swine NOT ALLOWED

Pigeons 20

Registration fees for dogs are:-
Entire dog $21.00 [it really says that ]
Desexed dog $5.00

Looks like we're up for a couple of goats for chrimbo then
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 8:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
As we just completed the purchase on our block of land yesterday I can give you the info straight from the search.

Dogs 2

Horses [no stallions] 1001m2 - under 2ha 1 horse or 1 cattle or 2 goats or 2 sheep.

Sheep [no rams] 5 ha and over number will depend upon land quality and watering facilities

Poultry 20

Rabbits NOT ALLOWED

Swine NOT ALLOWED

Pigeons 20

Desexed dog $5.00

Think I'll just have half a dog this week The Bloke says is there a separate category for number of wives, or do we fall under "goats"

Congrats on sorting out the land Cresta!
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 8:37 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Dogs 2

Poultry 20

Rabbits NOT ALLOWED

Swine NOT ALLOWED

Pigeons 20

Desexed dog $5.00

Entire dog?! What if the poor bugger's only got three legs?

I'd gift wrap a goat for you if I had the money. Even send it DHL so it'd get there quickly!
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 8:39 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Think I'll just have half a dog this week The Bloke says is there a separate category for number of wives, or do we fall under "goats"

Congrats on sorting out the land Cresta!
I'll second that! Sounds like you've got a similar idea as me and Cas.....
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 1:26 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyk38
I'll second that! Sounds like you've got a similar idea as me and Cas.....
Having found a website that will supply me Hula Hoops, and REAL jelly cubes (not these silly crystals) I'm just wondering if you could get a goat for Christmas by mail order........
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Why no rabbits, I wonder?
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 2:04 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

One of my previous neighbours used to have goats and not penned in . I had to rescue one once when some dogs attacked one , had it by the neck.
They also used to walk onto our property and head butt our glass doors, headbutting their own reflection, and sh*te all over my patio! They are not an animal I would keep as a pet myself

.................................................. .................................

It's no rabbits in QLD. Athough a previous neighbour of mine had one here in Brisbane, I don't know if he had permission from the council or what to keep it ( as it is against the law), and it was desexed, or he was just totally breaking the law (some other states it is legal to keep rabbits )as they are a pest. we have introduced feral rabbits here, keeping pet rabbits and if they escape would make the prob even worse than it is now.

Last edited by Ceri; Dec 3rd 2004 at 2:10 am.
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 2:11 am
Home and Happy

Can't have hamsters here either. And while I can see the point with rabbits, look at the damage they have done to Oz.......but HAMSTERS!!! Hardly deadly!
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Nope, you can buy wabbits at the pet shop here. And my boss has two as pets. Obviously not the same law in Victoria. I know that they have trouble here with wild hare/s (?) here.
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 2:14 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Can't have hamsters here either. And while I can see the point with rabbits, look at the damage they have done to Oz.......but HAMSTERS!!! Hardly deadly!
Deadly to the little native mice

Gerbils are the other one you can't get either.

Also snakes as pets , to own a snake , or a reptile you need to apply for a licence, which is easy enough.

I looked into geting one myself here , but I can't trust my cats with a pet snake, they'd kill it

Last edited by Ceri; Dec 3rd 2004 at 2:20 am.
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 2:19 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhhhh
Well, I guess the real estate wouldn't allow it anyway....

We had 2 angora goats in Bridgetown. Very cute.
But werevery good at escaping!!!

Rabbits and guinea pigs are legal in WA I think (were still a few years ago)

None of our rabbits ever escaped(well, except the wild one we once caught )
My friend had lots of guinea pigs, and they were always escaping, and we think they had a whole colony in their garden(big garden). Not their anymore though, probably eaten by foxes etc.
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 7:53 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Dogs 2

Poultry 20

Rabbits NOT ALLOWED

Swine NOT ALLOWED

Pigeons 20

Desexed dog $5.00

What about cats?
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 8:31 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SunshineGirl
What about cats?
No mention of cats in the stuff from the council so I guess they're ok in your house.
I did notice there is a list of "restricted dogs" and these are totally prohibited in our shire as are any cross breeds of the same.
1] Fila Brasileiro [never heard of one]
2] Japanese Tosa
3] American Pit Bull
4] Dogo Argentino [never heard of this one either]
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 8:36 am
Home and Happy

Dogo Argentino (puppies) -

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 6th 2007 at 9:53 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.