Reload this Page >

Buy or Rent in Western Australia

Buy or Rent in Western Australia

Old Apr 29th 2007, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Daxver will become famous soon enoughDaxver will become famous soon enough
Default Buy or Rent in Western Australia

reading and starting to flap about the rising interest rates and house prices,
we are going to Perth at the end of this to start of next year with enough money for cars, and rent for about 6months,we know it will be hard but i am a ceramic tiler and hopefully will get a job no probs.When renting can i get long term leases on a property as concerned on having to move every 6/12 months?When buying how much deposit is expected? can i get a mortgage being self-employed or do i need to be in employment? Is it better to buy to rent a house out and live in rented accommodation instead as i heard something about tax relief?
Sorry for the questions but i can not find these answers on the net

Cheers.
Davie
Old Apr 29th 2007, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant future
Default Re: Buy or Rent in Western Australia

My friend is a self employed tiler and he had been in perth 8 months now hes been told to wait 12 months before he gets mortgage he was also saying somthing about scrapping the tax for first time buyers but that isnt in yet so hes renting and seeing whats going to happen first!
My personal opinion im gonna rent 4by2 with pool $1500 month same house to buy $500000 and $3000 mortgage im gonna wait and see what happens its a big differance in payments!
Old Apr 29th 2007, 10:50 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisandvee
My friend is a self employed tiler and he had been in perth 8 months now hes been told to wait 12 months before he gets mortgage he was also saying somthing about scrapping the tax for first time buyers but that isnt in yet so hes renting and seeing whats going to happen first!
My personal opinion im gonna rent 4by2 with pool $1500 month same house to buy $500000 and $3000 mortgage im gonna wait and see what happens its a big differance in payments!
what will happen is that the house prices will go up by more than the tax would have been so it will make no difference. The last quarter saw a 2.2% rise in prices on average.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

My OH is a self employed brickie but, when we got here, he worked for someone else to begin with. They gave him a letter to say he was employed on $x per annum and we got a normal mortgage straight away with a 20% deposit.

If you head down the self employed route for a mortgage, most companies want two tax years of books and, generally, a 40% deposit. None of your UK books count.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ohippy
My OH is a self employed brickie but, when we got here, he worked for someone else to begin with. They gave him a letter to say he was employed on $x per annum and we got a normal mortgage straight away with a 20% deposit.

If you head down the self employed route for a mortgage, most companies want two tax years of books and, generally, a 40% deposit. None of your UK books count.
Very true, doesnt matter how long you worked in the UK self employed or how succesful you were you'll need at least two years Aus accounts, so best thing is do what ohippy suggests and get employed, get a letter confirming your wages and apply for a mortgage straight away!

As for renting vs buying obviously up to you but prices are still going up, just at a more normal/slower rate than they were. Also dont just think financially, having your own home can help you feel much more settled than renting can - I know even though we've been happy here since day one I felt like a huge weight lifted on the day we got keys to our very own house!!!
Old Apr 30th 2007, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

That's not correct, but you do need a good a mortgage advisor to help you

We got a mortgage based on 2 years' UK accounts as my OH is also self employed. He didn't want to be employed by someone else as the pay is less in his trade and he never had been since his apprenticeship back in the stone ages There are various low doc/no doc options.

We have a great guy who is sorting out our investment property mortgage. I can give you his details if you pm me.

Cheers.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ohippy

Several mortgage companies offer low doc loans with only 20% deposit.

You often don't even need books/accounts at all, you merely have to state that you earn a certain amount and that you have enough income to pay back the interest (or interest and principal). With this option you definitely need a bigger deposit.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Ah well, there you go then, options after all!!
Old Apr 30th 2007, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
The last quarter saw a 2.2% rise in prices on average.
As usual it depends who you listen to.....this from The Age on Saturday

"The hottest market has been Perth, where prices jumped nearly 21 per cent from a year ago, although growth has all but stopped this year.

Mr McNamara predicts that the Perth median price — which is 25 per cent higher than in Melbourne — will fall this year."
Old Apr 30th 2007, 2:40 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
As usual it depends who you listen to.....this from The Age on Saturday

"The hottest market has been Perth, where prices jumped nearly 21 per cent from a year ago, although growth has all but stopped this year.

Mr McNamara predicts that the Perth median price — which is 25 per cent higher than in Melbourne — will fall this year."
oh yes its the old opinions are like arseholes thing isn't.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

olauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Daxver
reading and starting to flap about the rising interest rates and house prices,
we are going to Perth at the end of this to start of next year with enough money for cars, and rent for about 6months,we know it will be hard but i am a ceramic tiler and hopefully will get a job no probs.When renting can i get long term leases on a property as concerned on having to move every 6/12 months?When buying how much deposit is expected? can i get a mortgage being self-employed or do i need to be in employment? Is it better to buy to rent a house out and live in rented accommodation instead as i heard something about tax relief?
Sorry for the questions but i can not find these answers on the net

Cheers.
Davie

The Western Australian reported recently << to Perth house prices fall $10,000 >>. Maybe better wait next year to buy..
http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ontentID=26426

Old Apr 30th 2007, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Daxver will become famous soon enoughDaxver will become famous soon enough

thanks for the applies,taken it all on board.