British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Buy new here or in Oz? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/buy-new-here-oz-646776/)

nbn8 Dec 31st 2009 2:20 pm

Buy new here or in Oz?

Im sorting everything out for our shipment end of Feb and Im not taking old table and chairs. Is it better to buy here and ship (we have room in the container) or buy once we arrive? Is the price comparable, quality and choice? Also is it okay to take banana leaf dining chairs? (if we buy new) thanks

GillyG Jan 1st 2010 3:01 am

Re: Buy new here or in Oz?

If you have room I'd recommend buying in the Uk and shipping. Furniture/white goods/electrical items are a lot dearer over here in my opinion.

Good luck with the move!

Cant rain all the time2 Jan 1st 2010 3:27 am

Agree, good quality stuff is more expensive here.

s1mon321 Jan 1st 2010 4:32 am

Originally Posted by nbn8 (Post 8208870)
Im sorting everything out for our shipment end of Feb and Im not taking old table and chairs. Is it better to buy here and ship (we have room in the container) or buy once we arrive? Is the price comparable, quality and choice? Also is it okay to take banana leaf dining chairs? (if we buy new) thanks

Depends on the quality of the furniture really.

This might give you an idea of prices...

http://www.freedom.com.au/

nbn8 Jan 1st 2010 12:15 pm

Thanks for your replies might try and get out shopping before the container goes next month. OMG next month did I just say how scarey!!!

australianinleicester Jan 1st 2010 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by nbn8 (Post 8210606)
Thanks for your replies might try and get out shopping before the container goes next month. OMG next month did I just say how scarey!!!

Lucky you, have a great new life on Gold Coast. Should be some good bargains to be had in January sales for your new furniture, make the most.

Best Wishes AIL

eeksy Jan 2nd 2010 12:09 am

If you have time to get to the sales then stock up in the UK.

dave99 Jan 2nd 2010 1:58 am

i would say buy new here, when we came over a few years ago we got rid of everything and just came over with a couple of suitcases, never regretted it

australianinleicester Jan 2nd 2010 6:27 pm

I made a comment on another thread obout taking your stuff or getting rid and buying new, the more I think about it the more I think you should
1, take as much of your own stuff as you can afford
2, make the most of the bargains to be had in recession Britain and stock up

Why

The pound is weak which makes new things in Australia comparatively expensive.
Anything made in Europe particularly will be expensive so buy it while you are here
You will never realise how much the contents of your house is worth until you have to buy new again, and lets be honest you will have plenty to spend your money on!

nbn8 Jan 2nd 2010 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by australianinleicester (Post 8213221)
I made a comment on another thread obout taking your stuff or getting rid and buying new, the more I think about it the more I think you should
1, take as much of your own stuff as you can afford
2, make the most of the bargains to be had in recession Britain and stock up

Why

The pound is weak which makes new things in Australia comparatively expensive.
Anything made in Europe particularly will be expensive so buy it while you are here
You will never realise how much the contents of your house is worth until you have to buy new again, and lets be honest you will have plenty to spend your money on!

Thanks wil be out shopping asap OH will love that!