Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

buy a caravan to live in initially

buy a caravan to live in initially

Old Aug 29th 2007, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

crocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud of
Default buy a caravan to live in initially

Hi folks,

I just want to run this by you all.

Wifey and I have thought of a great idea, we thought of buying an living in a new caravan for the first while until we find our bearings. We intend buying a caravan anyway, however, we thought it is furnished, we could put our gear in storage and you know what all we will need to buy are a few duvets and saucepans, kitchen wear etc.

Don't you just think it is the best idea ever, we hope to have the caravan where we want to live (Mornington Peninsula) and then move it on down the coast when we get our house.

No renting. All your own.

You can thank me all later for my wonderful idea, and I will probably be promoted to most inventive member,

Good Luck,

Crocodileseamus
Old Aug 29th 2007, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

sloane46 is a jewel in the roughsloane46 is a jewel in the roughsloane46 is a jewel in the roughsloane46 is a jewel in the roughsloane46 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: buy a caravan to live in initially

Just one problem I see with your genius plan.....Can you use a caravan as an address which is what you would need to get your tax file number and to give prospective employers. Perhaps you have already thought of that if so what is your cunning plan????
Sloane
Old Aug 29th 2007, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by crocodileseamus
Hi folks,

Wifey and I have thought of a great idea, we thought of buying an living in a new caravan for the first while until we find our bearings. We intend buying a caravan anyway, however, we thought it is furnished, we could put our gear in storage and you know what all we will need to buy are a few duvets and saucepans, kitchen wear etc.

Don't you just think it is the best idea ever, we hope to have the caravan where we want to live (Mornington Peninsula) and then move it on down the coast when we get our house.

You can thank me all later for my wonderful idea, and I will probably be promoted to most inventive member,

Good Luck,

Crocodileseamus
could be an excellent idea...plus socialy aswell. as the caravan parks ..esp in the areas you are talking about have a great holiday feel, lots of happy social touristy people etc...

as to the address ....i am pretty sure you can use the address at the park you will be in...IF you get that sorted perhaps before you go.

Be aware too ...it can be difficult to get into some caravan parks..and not all allow more than about a 3 month stay.....unless they are a permanent park..in which case they are fixed caravans and manufactured homes.

all in all tho i think that is a great idea.....just a bit of tweaking here and there and you will be on the home run
Old Aug 29th 2007, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

LouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really nice

Hello! just written to you!
I think thats not a bad idea at all if permitted. My OH will be looking to replace his beloved campervan and if rentals are as hard to find as we are told we may end up sleeping in that!
Old Aug 29th 2007, 7:39 pm
STRIKE HARD STRIKE SURE

Whitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to behold

Hi folks,

Good Luck,

Crocodileseamus
Make sure you buy a big enough car to tow it with though.
N
Old Aug 29th 2007, 8:01 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi folks,

Good Luck,

Crocodileseamus
LOL! We are going to be touring around (me, hubby aka submainman, and our 2 kids) so I am quite relieved that we wil always have a bed to sleep in regardless! Even if we can't find rented that is suitable whilst we find our new house, then we will have our campervan!! Home sweet Home ! Mind you, we might even find a nice piece of land and then we can put the campervan on that (or trade it in for a caravan and car) and then bung our container on the land too! You never know, we might even get around to building our dream home!

The only down side is that friends have started to suggest that we might qualify as "trailer trash" :curse:

Em x
Old Aug 29th 2007, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

crocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud of

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all your replies. I did think that one could use the postal address of the holiday park, as we have a static caravan here in rainy Northern Ireland, it is OK to use their address, so therefore, I don't see it being a huge problem in Oz.

Also I don't want a touring caravan as I have four children and it would drive me insane being even closer in proximity to them, so therefore I desire a static caravan, no hitch needed.

Hopefully when I am bothered to look, I will find a company with a host of holiday parks to offer my family and then once I find the area I want to live, stay in the van and then relocate the van once I have found a suitable residence.

Yes, I know you lovely folk are sleeping a lot easier tonight with my somewhat genius idea,

Good Luck,

Crocodileseamus
Old Aug 29th 2007, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

cowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to all

Originally Posted by LouB
Hello! just written to you!
I think thats not a bad idea at all if permitted. My OH will be looking to replace his beloved campervan and if rentals are as hard to find as we are told we may end up sleeping in that!
hello Lou
you touuched a nerve there as my hubby has just sold his lovely VW today and is already thinking of how we could live in one DOWN UNDER!

Julie
Old Aug 30th 2007, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to all
Smile Re: buy a caravan to live in initially

Hi folks,

Good Luck,

Crocodileseamus

Hubby and I bought a caravan and 4wd when we came over in 2000. Used it as our base for the first few months until had saved enough money for our tour (didn`t want to dip into our house money). We based ourselves in Mornington, Holiday Park (Bungower road). Roger (the owner) allowed us to set up on large site, where we stayed for 4 months. Fantastic idea, you will be able to get your bearings, have a roof over your heads without making hasty property purchase, have the van after having bought your home, for those holidays. It also afforded us with the option of being able to see where in Australia we wnated to ultimately settle. I would settle on the pennisular at the drop of a hat even after all this time, unfortunately hubbys job governs where we live. Good choice you pair , good luck, our memories of this time still make me smile.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Mandy,

Thanks for your lovely reply.

Our hearts are now firmly cemented to the fact that we are going over to buy a caravan. It takes the pressure off a bit and hopefully will make the transition a bit easier.

Good Luck,

Crocodileseamus