Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

buy this book now!

buy this book now!

Old Jun 15th 2004, 8:27 pm
sunny coast

jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default buy this book now!

just a short 1. if you feel p*ssed of with all the hassle of getting to oz, then just buy this book roll a funny fag and open a beer.honest it will chill you out no probs, the books called down under by bill bryson and you will be in stitches trust me it dont matter if you are already in oz or on your way i think everyone will love it.in the book he travels all over australia from the big cities to some small outback towns but the way he puts it over is superb.the guys i work with are sick to the back teeth of me going on about it and in the end a few of them read it and not one of them regreted it..........trust me just go and buy it you will be glad you did
Old Jun 15th 2004, 8:32 pm
Waitin for my RPL result.

phyonics is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd agree with the recommendation.

When I started reading it I expected a cynical American author having a laugh at the expense of Australia. I coulnd't have been more wrong though, its a cracking read, full of good humour, and you can tell that the guy genuinely loves Australia.

Marko
Old Jun 15th 2004, 8:51 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by phyonics
When I started reading it I expected a cynical American author having a laugh at the expense of Australia. I coulnd't have been more wrong though, its a cracking read, full of good humour, and you can tell that the guy genuinely loves Australia.
Well he's not your average American, having lived in England on and off for a considerable time and being married to an English woman. Mostly his books are very readable and although superficially undemanding there are a lot of thoughtful little gems.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 8:55 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

in the land of oz -by Howard Jacobson is also excellant.Earlier version of Bryson but a much drier wit with the same subjects covered
Old Jun 15th 2004, 8:58 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by seang
in the land of oz -by Howard Jacobson is also excellant.Earlier version of Bryson but a much drier wit with the same subjects covered
And for a more intellectual version of Bryson, try Jonathan Raban. My favourite travel writer, but this is getting off-topic as he hasn't written about Oz or NZ, more's the pity.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 9:09 pm

Isnt off-topic what we do best here?

So, how sh*te is big brother this year anyway

Marko
Old Jun 15th 2004, 9:15 pm
Central Coasties, NSW!

GillettFamily is an unknown quantity at this point

Stop the hijack!!

Downunder kept me focussed when we went on holiday just after we lodged our application.

Cracking read, very funny and very dry and the situations that he finds himself in and the perspective he has on things...well...I'm sure that anyone who reads it will find something familiar with which they can associate...especially anyone who has already been downunder!

Definately one well thumbed read that will not stay on the shelf for long.

Has anyone got his latest??

"A Brief History Of Almost Everything"... any good....need I ask?
Old Jun 15th 2004, 9:17 pm
sunny coast

jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute

sod off ! big brother my arse.anyway bill bryson a walk in the woods is pretty funny aswell but i only read after a joint so it has to be light hearted.only just moved of the beano and thought bryson was quite heavy
Old Jun 15th 2004, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

Originally posted by phyonics
Isnt off-topic what we do best here?

So, how sh*te is big brother this year anyway

Marko
How shite is big brother this year??

Its been shite every year.

Hey Jonni, where about in M/cr mate, any where near me?

Andy
Old Jun 15th 2004, 9:30 pm

Yeah, I've just brought "A Brief History...." and have read about a third of it so far.

Its a good read, with some amazing facts about the universe and the creation of life etc......another really good read.

If you're not into science/space etc it may not be your cup of tea though.

Marko
Old Jun 15th 2004, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

karen p is an unknown quantity at this point

I must agree, Bill Bryson's book is brilliant.

I don't often laugh out loud when reading a book,
but I certainly did while reading this book. I just
wish he'd made it to Brisbane, which is where we're
heading.

Karen
Old Jun 15th 2004, 9:35 pm
sunny coast

stockport mate and nearly everyone round here is a bloody city fan ,even my 8 year old daughter.couldnt believe my eyes when she came home from town with a city top,sorry but if she carrys on the baseball will have 2 come out. only joking
Old Jun 15th 2004, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

Originally posted by jonni boy
stockport mate and nearly everyone round here is a bloody city fan ,even my 8 year old daughter.couldnt believe my eyes when she came home from town with a city top,sorry but if she carrys on the baseball will have 2 come out. only joking
wait till she gets homework like my lad

he had to rewrite the poem/rhyme:- 1,2,3,4,5 once I caught a fish alive. this is what he came up with

1,2,3,4,5 why does Ruud Van Nistleroy dive
6,7,8,9,10 there he goes he's down again
11,12, and 13 too I'm so glad he's not a blue

take it you're a loyal Stockport fan then?
Old Jun 15th 2004, 9:51 pm
sunny coast

dont follow football mate,and no i aint queer before you ask just prefer boxing and thia boxing and for some strange reason i like to watch womans beach volley ball
Old Jun 15th 2004, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by jonni boy
dont follow football mate,and no i aint queer before you ask just prefer boxing and thia boxing and for some strange reason i like to watch womans beach volley ball
wouldn't have called you queer anyway, what channel is the volley ball on?