Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buy before coming in a few months or not? Rentals in Brisbane?

Buy before coming in a few months or not? Rentals in Brisbane?

Old Jan 30th 2011, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buy before coming in a few months or not? Rentals in Brisbane?

Originally Posted by Steve2009
There's not many of them that will have money to pay for accommodation. How many were insured? I think the potential effect of the floods has been a little exaggerated.
Just some musings...

40% were insured. Most renters walked away from flooded accommodation so they would need new accommodation immediately. Young one's I know headed home to their parents for now

Owner occupiers would mostly have plans to move back in ASAP I would guess - but if they have no family/friends they can stay with and extensive damage they too might be after a 6 month lease.

A lot of the flooded rentals will probably start coming back onto the market looking for new tenants.

Very hard to get an accurate picture.

Does anyone know what percentage of houses were flooded?

Last edited by fish.01; Jan 30th 2011 at 9:13 am.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 2:51 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Buy before coming in a few months or not? Rentals in Brisbane?

Originally Posted by fish.01
Does anyone know what percentage of houses were flooded?
Very difficult to answer that, as the official figures have been stated to have included every unit in a 40 story apartment block (for example), even if just the ground floor was flooded.

The Brisbane times (14th January) quoted: In total, 17,500 homes and 3000 businesses have been flooded.

Taking 17,500 as a percentage of the 500,000+ Brisbane properties, that would be 3.5% having been affected by flooding. But many of these could have been 100% habitable the next day ? (assuming minor damage).

However on 17th January Ms Bligh said: Brisbane was facing "a massive relocation task" after 11,900 homes and 2500 businesses were flooded. which is now 2.4%.