Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Butler, Northern Perth - opinions sought.

Butler, Northern Perth - opinions sought.

Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Butler, Northern Perth - opinions sought.

Hi all,

Just looking at land for sale in Northern Perth and it seems that the land in Butler is very cheap compared to most other places. Is this just because it's new ? Or is there another, perhaps more sinister, reason ?

I'd welcome anyone's opinions.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:01 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Butler, Northern Perth - opinions sought.

Originally Posted by elmtree
Hi all,

Just looking at land for sale in Northern Perth and it seems that the land in Butler is very cheap compared to most other places. Is this just because it's new ? Or is there another, perhaps more sinister, reason ?

I'd welcome anyone's opinions.
nothing sinister. Just a typically new suburb. About 15 mins drive to Joondalup, drive to Clarkson station if you need to get into Perth.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

Brigall is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Try www.pomsinperth.com there is loads of info about perth and the surrounding suburbs.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
nothing sinister. Just a typically new suburb. About 15 mins drive to Joondalup, drive to Clarkson station if you need to get into Perth.

northernbird,

Just as I thought we'd settled on buying a house in Kinross she decides she wants to have a newbuild like a showhome we visited last year. GRRR. The problem is, there appears to be virtually no land for sale in Kinross, and what little there is is ... little.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Brigall
Hi, Try www.pomsinperth.com there is loads of info about perth and the surrounding suburbs.
Brigall,

Thanks for that. I can't find the suburb info, though. Do you know where it is ?

Thanks.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:18 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

northernbird,

Just as I thought we'd settled on buying a house in Kinross she decides she wants to have a newbuild like a showhome we visited last year. GRRR. The problem is, there appears to be virtually no land for sale in Kinross, and what little there is is ... little.
In my view I would rather live in Kinross than Butler. Excellent schools in Kinross and I find that as its slightly older the blocks are bigger.

Last edited by northernbird; Jan 18th 2007 at 11:21 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

Brigall is an unknown quantity at this point

Elmtree,
Go to the discussion board, then click real estate. If you scroll through that section there is information on the various areas, or post for any info.
Regards
Brian
Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:24 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Brigall,

Thanks for that. I can't find the suburb info, though. Do you know where it is ?

Thanks.
also try www.aussiemove.com it has useful suburb info too. A lot is personal preference too. I find Butler nice enough but too far from everything for me, one road in, one road out. I stress its personal opinion though. I would rather be in Kinross and when the new freeway extension hits burns beach road it straight onto the freeway too.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks, both !
Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by northernbird
also try www.aussiemove.com it has useful suburb info too. A lot is personal preference too. I find Butler nice enough but too far from everything for me, one road in, one road out. I stress its personal opinion though. I would rather be in Kinross and when the new freeway extension hits burns beach road it straight onto the freeway too.

Would that be the Mitchell freeway ? When is that due to happen ?

I'll have to try and talk her around - I really fancy Kinross. We used Currambine station a few times on our recce, and thought that Joondalup had just about everything we need in the way of shops, etc. And close to the beaches, too.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:37 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Would that be the Mitchell freeway ? When is that due to happen ?

I'll have to try and talk her around - I really fancy Kinross. We used Currambine station a few times on our recce, and thought that Joondalup had just about everything we need in the way of shops, etc. And close to the beaches, too.
absolutely agree. I wouldn't want to be any further north than that for that reason. The mitchell freeway will be extended from Hodges drive to Burns Beach Road. The construction has just started and will I guess take a couple of years.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 2:42 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

northernbird,

There's of plenty of available land, its just that 9.9 times out of 10 there will already be a house on it.
Try and find one in a pretty bad state so that your buying at near on block value and just knock it down and build what you want.
The other alternative and often quicker and cheaper solution is to buy what you can and turn it in to what you want.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Butler is too far North for me. [And before I get flamed, I lived in Quinns Rocks for six months] - getting into Perth is a bit of a nightmare at rush-hour as it can take ages to get down Marmion Avenue and onto the freeway.

From what I've seen the plots are smaller in size also, so you are going to be closer to your neighbours and have a small back garden.

On the upside, its cheaper than many other areas and in 10 years time it will feel closer to the city. Mindarie keys is just down the road and shops at Ocean Keys are good now, and will get better with time.

The only school I know about is Quinns Rocks Primary which was very good [kindy was fantastic] but I've heard that Clarkson High School is really, really bad.

Its comes down to money - an older established suburb closer to the city will have bigger blocks, more established schools etc, but you will pay a premium. I note there isn't much difference in the price of a 4x2 between Kinross and Butler [450K] - in that case I'd live in Kinross since its closer to the city by about 6/7 kilometres, schools are good etc.