Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

But what about the cats?

But what about the cats?

Old Aug 1st 2005, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

November11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the rough
Default But what about the cats?

Am I being irresponsible aking my cats?

I don't mind the cost but will it be kinder to find then new homes in the UK?

Will it be too hot for them (Adelaide) will they be in danger from snakes or spiders?
Old Aug 1st 2005, 8:25 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: But what about the cats?

Originally Posted by November11

Will it be too hot for them (Adelaide) will they be in danger from snakes or spiders?
Well ours will be going. They are indoor pusscats anyway, so hanging around the house all day will be no hardship at all. They're getting on a bit now, and we would have a lot of trouble rehoming them around here. And selfishly, I think they would be worse off with someone else. I don't pretend not to worry about them and whether they will settle okay, but once they get past the journey I think they will be fine. But ask me again in three months!
Old Aug 1st 2005, 8:44 pm
aussie73

Cats like the warm and hot weather, anyway they usually sleep during the day when its warm and hunt and exercise at night when its cooler. It only gets warm to hot a few months during summer in Adelaide, most of the year the weathers cool to mild. Spiders are no danger to your cat, there are very few snakes in suburban Adelaide and even in the bush very few cats are killed by snake bites, The main dnagers facing your cats are the same in the Uk, being attacked by dogs and being hit by cars.

Old Aug 1st 2005, 9:56 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Cats are like a family member, you wouldn't leave one of them behind would you....that's how I like look at it.

I couldn't leave my 2 behind, I know it's expensive but when you think it costs at least £3000 to ship furniture £1000 is not much really...
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 1:38 am
vivi

vivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
Cats are like a family member, you wouldn't leave one of them behind would you....that's how I like look at it.

I couldn't leave my 2 behind, I know it's expensive but when you think it costs at least £3000 to ship furniture £1000 is not much really...
We also pondered but not for long! Thomas is part of the family and as he is my daughter's we would not dream of letting him be rehomed, also was a great settler for her once we got here! Yes we worried about him dragging in snakes through the cat flap, and being bitten! No worries, if he could speak he would say he loves it. Sleeps when it is hot and prowls around chasing moths when it is cool. Also a great entertainment when he tries stalking the birds and instead of flying off they dive bomb him.
ViVi
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

My cat Sid loves it here, I don't think he has ever been so happy. The only thing we worry about are the cars (Hoons) so he comes in at night and is allowed out in the early morning. He has 3 bells around his neck though- he caught two birds before we added the extra two, now he hasn't caught anymore and it's funny to hear him in the garden!
BTW We're in Perth, fairly near national park but in a suburb.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 4:58 am
Grumpy Old Woman!!

Moody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the rough

Take them, they will be purrfectly (excuse the pun) happy in Oz!!! I never even considered leaving them behind, they are as precious to us as a child to its mother. I was very worried about the journey as one cat is very aggressive and one very timid but they survived quite well and settled in quickly. They are indoor cats but have a huge fenced in patio in which to play and lounge and they seem to have more energy here than when we lived in Florida as it was so humid (especially if you are wearing fur!).

As long as cost isn't an issue or health reasons, I say go for it!

MC
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 6:46 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

If you bring your cats, do the australian fauna a favor and keep them locked inside at night, preferably during the day too.

The only cat i tolerate is a house cat.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 7:03 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PeteY
If you bring your cats, do the australian fauna a favor and keep them locked inside at night, preferably during the day too.

I thought they had to be kept in at night anyway?

Ours is always in at night so no hardship there...
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 7:06 am
F.U.B.A.R

Homer will become famous soon enoughHomer will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: But what about the cats?

Yer because cats are the only foreign thing in Australia that do harm to the Australian fauna aren't they,don't think so oh and by the way if you are bringing over anymore of you Brits can you stay indoors as well because you do so much damage to the economy its people like you that should be locked inside not the cats
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 7:16 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Homer
Yer because cats are the only foreign thing in Australia that do harm to the Australian fauna aren't they,don't think so oh and by the way if you are bringing over anymore of you Brits can you stay indoors as well because you do so much damage to the economy its people like you that should be locked inside not the cats
Spoken like a true native Australian.

So you are saying....that because cats aren't the only thing doing harm to the australian ecosystem we should let them run wild?
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 7:42 am
F.U.B.A.R

Homer will become famous soon enoughHomer will become famous soon enough

Spoken like a true native Australian.

So you are saying....that because cats aren't the only thing doing harm to the australian ecosystem we should let them run wild?
No I'm not but why should they be kept in side all the time most people on this site are responsible adults and don't need to be told what to do with there pets,the way you put it is not quite the welcome to the forums and Australia that people need,and if you want to wave a flag for the Australian ecosystem why don't you go down you local street or town centre and tell all the hoons and other idiots to stop driving there big 3 and 4 litre cars. (BY THE Way what car do you drive )I know cats are not the best thing for the Australia wildlife and plants but people love there pets and have a right to bring them to this country.I was born in Australia and it seems to me that most Australians love there cats and dogs as much as the English so let them bring there cats in they will learn the rules which don't include keeping them locked in the house all the time You may have noticed I'm a cat lover
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 7:44 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

If cats were such a huge problem to the wildlife then surely

a) Immigrants would not be able to bring theirs
b) There would be no breeding of cats in Aus

Our cat is in at night anyway, so no great hardship....
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 7:56 am
A Male Member

Originally Posted by Homer
No I'm not but why should they be kept in side all the time most people on this site are responsible adults and don't need to be told what to do with there pets,the way you put it is not quite the welcome to the forums and Australia that people need,and if you want to wave a flag for the Australian ecosystem why don't you go down you local street or town centre and tell all the hoons and other idiots to stop driving there big 3 and 4 litre cars. (BY THE Way what car do you drive )I know cats are not the best thing for the Australia wildlife and plants but people love there pets and have a right to bring them to this country.I was born in Australia and it seems to me that most Australians love there cats and dogs as much as the English so let them bring there cats in they will learn the rules which don't include keeping them locked in the house all the time You may have noticed I'm a cat lover
Ok, well of course these are my opinions.....

1) Cats do more damage at night, which is why they should be inside after dark. Many councils reconise this, and some are introducing a curfew (Bendigo for example).
2) I am not here to welcome people to Australia. However, i do my best to give advice, and my opinions where i can. If what i write goes against your grain. Sorry.....but tough.
3) So.....your comment about "going" down the street and telling off all the big car drivers....Are you by any chance saying that i can comment on the ecosystem in any way that doesnt effect you? I don't give a hoot about cars right now.....right at the moment i am on the subject of cats. Do cars in another thread and you will get my opinion on that there.
4) I am not saying that you cannot own a cat. I am saying that you should not be allowed to let them roam free. You don't see pet dogs running around the countryside, so why should cats be allowed to do the same.
5) Next time i have a cat turd on my lawn.....do you fancy flying over to clear it up for me?

Please do note.....i am not saying you CAN'T own a cat. I am simply saying that you should be a responsible pet owner.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 7:58 am
A Male Member

Originally Posted by bridiej
If cats were such a huge problem to the wildlife then surely

a) Immigrants would not be able to bring theirs
b) There would be no breeding of cats in Aus

Our cat is in at night anyway, so no great hardship....
Pet cats aren't a huge problem (however, they are still a factor)...ferals do most of the damage.

Good on you for keeping it in at night.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.