Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

but baby it's cold outside

but baby it's cold outside

Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:21 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: but baby it's cold outside

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Cheers - actually I was aware of the fact that the distance to the sun was not a big factor. The double whammy comment was an attempt to dum it down for general consumption. After all, people don't want to have to work too hard.

Oi ! You calling me fick or somfing
Old Jun 7th 2007, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

ex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to all

Originally Posted by moneypen20
how can June 21 be mid winter when June 1st was the first day of winter. Even I know winter lasts more than 42 days

I'm wearing a jumper not worn since I was in the UK and we have the wood burner going. BUT it's still raining so it's not all bad
The Winter Solstice, also known as Midwinter happens around June 21/22 in Australia. Its the shortest day and the longest night of the year,marking the onset of Winter. But just to confuse everyone we say Winter begins on June 1 and Autumn start on Sept 1!! lol We like things nice and easy here!!
Old Jun 7th 2007, 11:17 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Cheers - actually I was aware of the fact that the distance to the sun was not a big factor. The double whammy comment was an attempt to dum it down for general consumption. After all, people don't want to have to work too hard.

I wasn't having a go I was just pointing out that the southern hemisphere is cooler than the northern hemisphere despite the earth being closest to the sun during the southern summer. That's why Melbourne has the latitude of Sicily and the climate of Nice.

Old Jun 7th 2007, 11:31 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

how can June 21 be mid winter when June 1st was the first day of winter. Even I know winter lasts more than 42 days

I'm wearing a jumper not worn since I was in the UK and we have the wood burner going. BUT it's still raining so it's not all bad
It's because Mid Summer and Mid Winter relate to the astronomical seasons while Summer/Winter starting on the 1st June relates to the meteorological seasons. Mid Summer in the UK is the 24th June which used to be the shortest day and is one of the quarter days (days on which rent was due). The summer solstice in the UK is also referred to as mid summer but usually with a small m.

Old Jun 7th 2007, 11:57 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Tis only 28 here again tonight (indoors)
I wonder if winter is approaching.
We went to Cairns in June 2004 for Jim's Birthday and it was flippin' freezing. Everybody told us it was the coldest weekend in years. We were in a lovely hotel but couldn't sleep because it was so cold and they only had light bedclothes. You probably hadn't acclimatised by then but you'll get a shock one day.

Jane
p.s. We're coming up to Port Douglas the end of this month so it had better stay warm.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 12:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
We went to Cairns in June 2004 for Jim's Birthday and it was flippin' freezing. Everybody told us it was the coldest weekend in years. We were in a lovely hotel but couldn't sleep because it was so cold and they only had light bedclothes. You probably hadn't acclimatised by then but you'll get a shock one day.

Jane
p.s. We're coming up to Port Douglas the end of this month so it had better stay warm.
Yes but Bix has his shaggy fur coat to keep him warm. He has no need of blankets
Old Jun 8th 2007, 12:26 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex Tassiemum
But just to confuse everyone we say Winter begins on June 1 and Autumn start on Sept 1!! lol We like things nice and easy here!!
the seasons & the time of year still screw with my mind (it's cold, getting dark earlier, so it must be winter, but wimbledon will be on soon and that's a summer event...). I though it was spring that started in Sept or do they do things differently in Tas?
Old Jun 8th 2007, 2:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by walaj
the seasons & the time of year still screw with my mind (it's cold, getting dark earlier, so it must be winter, but wimbledon will be on soon and that's a summer event...). I though it was spring that started in Sept or do they do things differently in Tas?
They do EVERYTHING differently in Tassie mate
Old Jun 8th 2007, 1:51 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

They do EVERYTHING differently in Tassie mate
Coldest night this year so far in north Brissie - 9 degrees outside (midnight), SIX degrees inside...yes, we have the typical Aussie house with no heating except one bar in the bathroom, can't install cos we're renting, can't buy any cos the Bloke doesn't want to
He has had all the windows and doors open all evening and he has now gone to bed fully dressed moaning he's cold
Old Jun 8th 2007, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Coldest night this year so far in north Brissie - 9 degrees outside (midnight), SIX degrees inside...yes, we have the typical Aussie house with no heating except one bar in the bathroom, can't install cos we're renting, can't buy any cos the Bloke doesn't want to
He has had all the windows and doors open all evening and he has now gone to bed fully dressed moaning he's cold

Ah, you need a double brick house like mine. Did I mention we have a wood burner

It's 86 degrees in my house just now.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 2:26 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Ah, you need a double brick house like mine. Did I mention we have a wood burner

It's 86 degrees in my house just now.
You can go off some people
Old Jun 8th 2007, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

You can go off some people

I know. Some people are right horrid aren't they
Old Jun 8th 2007, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

i'm still cold, and still tempted to set fire to next doors dog........actually, come to think of it I haven't heard him for a week.......do you think the neighbours the other side had the same idea as me? Afterall its kills two birds - we get fire and heat and it shuts the barking up forever! Ummmmmmm (thats me thinking)

Oh and top of 19 in Noosa today.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 2:43 pm
Home and Happy

If I wasn't too cold to move I'd come over and push you around....and then while you're picking yourself up I'll take your place by the fire
Old Jun 8th 2007, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

If I wasn't too cold to move I'd come over and push you around....and then while you're picking yourself up I'll take your place by the fire
just think of all the weight we'll lose through shivering!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.