Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Busting Another Myth!!

Busting Another Myth!!

Old Oct 1st 2005, 8:12 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Busting Another Myth!!

The more relaxed way of life 24-7!!

at the weekend this statement is true and the options of what to do are far in excess of what you can do back in the UK without it costing a fortune, but as for folk thinking that it is relaxtion 24-7 it aint.

My working day's here (Management position) are probably 3-4 hours longer than my working day in the UK was.

This is in no way shape or form a gripe, just another little piece of info for folk on their way.

Cheers

MM
Old Oct 1st 2005, 8:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Busting Another Myth!!

Originally Posted by madsad
The more relaxed way of life 24-7!!

at the weekend this statement is true and the options of what to do are far in excess of what you can do back in the UK without it costing a fortune, but as for folk thinking that it is relaxtion 24-7 it aint.

My working day's here (Management position) are probably 3-4 hours longer than my working day in the UK was.

This is in no way shape or form a gripe, just another little piece of info for folk on their way.

Cheers

MM
What's the difference in travelling? Are you doing less or more now? I don't think most people expect general 24/7 things to be much different, well I certainly don't, although I do expect hubby to working a few less hours cos at the moment he works about 90+ per week but as you say, weekends should be better. Oh and don't forget Malc - the sun shines more
Old Oct 1st 2005, 8:39 am
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Busting Another Myth!!

Originally Posted by moneypen20
What's the difference in travelling? Are you doing less or more now? I don't think most people expect general 24/7 things to be much different, well I certainly don't, although I do expect hubby to working a few less hours cos at the moment he works about 90+ per week but as you say, weekends should be better. Oh and don't forget Malc - the sun shines more
My wifes youngest brother is a manager in the building trade in Perth and his working hours are now considerably less than they were here. He actually struggled to slow down to match their pace of life and work etc. His family life has improved too as they get to do so much more there than they could ever do in England. I guess it just depends on what you do.

R.

PS. Moneypen20 I am not stalking you!
Old Oct 1st 2005, 9:17 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

I would agree.

From what I've seen first hand, business people seem to wear long hours like a badge of honour, the longer you stay at work the more dedicated you are seen to be [not based on effectiveness ]

If you *want to get on* it seems you have to put in the hours.

No different to UK in that respect then
Old Oct 1st 2005, 9:37 am
Badge

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
I would agree.

From what I've seen first hand, business people seem to wear long hours like a badge of honour, the longer you stay at work the more dedicated you are seen to be [not based on effectiveness ]

If you *want to get on* it seems you have to put in the hours.

No different to UK in that respect then
Where I work in IT noone does any more overtime than is the norm for the industry anywhere in the Uk, Europe.

The company promotes health and well being, just about everyone engages in physical activity at lunch at least once a week. a circuit around Albert Park etc.

Badge

Old Oct 1st 2005, 9:57 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I think it totally depends on the company and sector, but yeah, people should not automatically expect less hours
Pascal works way more hours(I think he does 50 hours a week usually, and doesn't get paid for it!, and sometime it's more, like till 9.30 the other night, grrrr). They asked him to work a few hours this weekend, but he sort of just ignored the question(they didn't even offer to pay him for it!) He works much more efficiently than the other guy as it is anyway, so it's a bit unfair. Also, his 'excuse' is that he works better under pressure anyway.

Managers at my work, usually work from about 7 till 5. The rest of us usually leave on time, and some even leave at 5 on the dot, everyday!

My dad is a builder, working for another builder while he finds his feet. He is finding it very strange. Sometimes they just send him home when it's raining(while he's just driven an hour to get there ), other times he hears that they've been working in the weekend, even though they're not that busy

Mum's a nurse, casual. She's working heaps of hours(though prob not more than 40 a week), they're short staffed, and she keeps getting called to change shifts, or come in when she has the day off. We stayed with them last weekend, and at 6am the phone went(right next to where we were sleeping!) and was asked to come in(she had to work that day, but not till 2.30pm)
Old Oct 1st 2005, 10:51 am
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute

I work much longer hours over here, than I ever did in London.

However I leave the house at the same time as I did in the Uk, and get home at the same time, but I dont have the nasty 2 hour experience on the tube each day,

Unfortunately it is expected over here.

Contract says 40hrs a week, but everyone puts in at least 50.. (and yep.. it aint paid overtime..or time given off in Lieu)

Work in IT/Project Management
Old Oct 1st 2005, 10:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carruss
My wifes youngest brother is a manager in the building trade in Perth and his working hours are now considerably less than they were here. He actually struggled to slow down to match their pace of life and work etc. His family life has improved too as they get to do so much more there than they could ever do in England. I guess it just depends on what you do.

R.

PS. Moneypen20 I am not stalking you!
You would be quite sad if you were, but feel free to head up into my loft with me to clear the damned thing out
Old Oct 1st 2005, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Badge
The company promotes health and well being, just about everyone engages in physical activity at lunch at least once a week. a circuit around Albert Park etc.

I used to work with Albert - I wondered where he had gone!!!
Old Oct 1st 2005, 11:12 am
Badge

Originally Posted by Steve G
I used to work with Albert - I wondered where he had gone!!!
lol. I used to sing with a guy called Gusto too.

Whereever did he get to?

badge

Old Oct 1st 2005, 11:22 am
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moneypen20
You would be quite sad if you were, but feel free to head up into my loft with me to clear the damned thing out
That reminds me, I was supposed to be clearing the garage out today.........again!

When we moved (November last year) we vowed never to hoard sh*te in the loft again as it did our heads in clearing it out. Guess where all that stuff is now......in the bloody garage!

R.
Old Oct 1st 2005, 11:43 am
Badge

Originally Posted by Carruss
That reminds me, I was supposed to be clearing the garage out today.........again!

When we moved (November last year) we vowed never to hoard sh*te in the loft again as it did our heads in clearing it out. Guess where all that stuff is now......in the bloody garage!

R.
In Australia, people build new sheds to overcome the problem of their garages being full; there are no lofts so you start with a weak position. My boss warned me that on no account was I to hoard anything other than mine in my garage.
I did not heed his instructions and with the inlaws here, it is now full.

Badge

Old Oct 1st 2005, 11:58 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Longer hours, less holiday, more weekend work (doing a migration right now).
Old Oct 1st 2005, 12:22 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Originally Posted by Badge
In Australia, people build new sheds to overcome the problem of their garages being full; there are no lofts so you start with a weak position. My boss warned me that on no account was I to hoard anything other than mine in my garage.
I did not heed his instructions and with the inlaws here, it is now full.

Badge
Fancy keeping your inlaws in the garage eh!

Its amazing how quick you can fill a space with stuff you can more than likely do without and will probably never use again.

R.
Old Oct 1st 2005, 12:36 pm

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bondipom
Longer hours, less holiday, more weekend work (doing a migration right now).

Eh?? What? You are migrating?

Or did you mean moving house?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.