Business Visa -

Old May 27th 2005, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

bloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nice
Default Business Visa -

After 16 months of waiting, most of it for medical questions on one of the kids, we now have the letter granting us the 160 ( unsponsored temporary business owner) visa and have to be in Australia by october 1st.

Sounds Great, you're probably thinking - and it is - but here's the problems that go hand in hand with packing up a family and heading off to a new life...

Firstly we have no idea what business we'd like to get into. We were Hoteliers and Self catering Accommodation suppliers in Northumberland for 20 years and will leave the Uk with a little over a million dollars (if it stops getting stronger before we go - 2.39 today !) We don't, however, want to spend another day doing the sort of business we've done over here and this leaves us looking for turnover of at least 300,000.00 Dollars a year, 2 full time employees and a four year clock ticking....please dont start havng a go about money being no problem, buying a house, paying for medicare, insurance, legal fees, schooling and everything else will dent the cash reserves and after 20 years of 7 days a week it doesn't feel like a lot ... anyway we'll get off a plane with money but no idea what to do next. We'll have a place to go to temporarily on the Qld/NSW borders but it's starting to look a little frightening and I'd really appreciate some opinions on where to start.

Should we sell the house here ? Or rent it out ? We have a decent offer on the table and it will buy a house over there but is it sensible to just go for it and worry when we get there, Should we go on a four year holiday and see what happens ? Obviously we're keen to go - 16 months of self lodged applications were not done without thinking, but ultimately the time it has taken to get the visa has effectively killed off the original plans and here we are with a blank sheet of paper, everything we own up for sale and a totaly open attitude to what we do in Australia.

Sounds Great again - but honesty and self recognition compell me to admit that I am as nervous as a virgin bride ! Plans B and C mean leaving Australia and returning to Europe and Australia is still looking as good as it did the day we began the application but I guess we just feel like we're diving into the unknown and with 2 kids in tow it can be a little un-nerving.... Anyone else been here ? Anyone else going under the same circumtances ? anyone got any bright ideas that might inolve two Aussies and $300kpa?

I joined in with a thread about Busines visas a few weeks ago and someone offered "much respect" for the 16 month battle to win the visa without using an agent, now it feels like we're over the nightmare of the application fiasco but with another battle ahead to make a go of it out there, so hold on to any respect until 2009, it looks like Bloofox has cold paws !!

Any help with one-way tickets prices, shipping the furniture and a couple of motorcycles ( not that this is a priority for the wife & kids but year round riding is one reason I need to leave the UK !) and any ideas about making up your mind will be greatly appreciated.....See you in the Sun !
Old May 27th 2005, 10:19 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Business Visa -

Originally Posted by bloofox
We'll have a place to go to temporarily on the Qld/NSW borders but it's starting to look a little frightening and I'd really appreciate some opinions on where to start.
Be aware that NSW generally charges temporary residents (which you will still be until you get PR) school fees for government schools, about AUD4.5k per child per year. However Queensland may not do so. Check the government websites, but if living in a border area this may be worth considering in deciding where to settle.

I don't know off-hand whether it will make much difference in terms of options at PR visa stage (which state you move to). Get professional advice.

Should we sell the house here ? Or rent it out ? We have a decent offer on the table and it will buy a house over there but is it sensible to just go for it and worry when we get there, Should we go on a four year holiday and see what happens ?
You are subject to FIRB restrictions until you get PR - http://www.firb.gov.au

Anyone else going under the same circumtances ? anyone got any bright ideas that might inolve two Aussies and $300kpa?
If buying a business, make sure you get some professional migration advice on whether it's likely to qualify you for PR or not. As well as professional advice on the other issues.

Jeremy
Old May 27th 2005, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Why not look at buying a franchise of some sort?? We had thought of this and I have had a quick look at what is available. There are franchises for coffee shops for example ( don't know how much turnover these would generate) and as here in Queensland all shopping centres close at 5.30 apart from late night shopping it would not be as time demanding as say in the UK.
Old May 27th 2005, 11:43 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mand8002
Why not look at buying a franchise of some sort?? We had thought of this and I have had a quick look at what is available. There are franchises for coffee shops for example ( don't know how much turnover these would generate) and as here in Queensland all shopping centres close at 5.30 apart from late night shopping it would not be as time demanding as say in the UK.
It's essential to get professional migration advice before even thinking about a franchise, as DIMIA can take a dim view of franchises (from a business skills migration point of view).

Jeremy
Old May 28th 2005, 12:04 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

There does seem a lot more opportunity here to open a business than in UK. I make that statement because there is not the penetration in new areas of established ideas, you always have the oppty to do something better, cheaper, faster, than somebody else - but over here you seem to be able to survive just by doing the same in a different area.

Rents are lower in shopping malls for retail space,in industrial areas large warehouse units, are much more available and much cheaper. I dont know what taxes apply on top , havent looked into that yet, knowing Australia they'll be pretty hefty.

The place is growing at tremendous rate (brisbane this is , so not sure if you're going elsewhere). So many many new communities are being built from scratch, this means they need the infrastructure for convenience that comes with them. Plenty of opportunity for service industry retail outlets (shops!).

Wages are low - staff in shops are plentiful, it stuns me that you walk into what would be a less than outstandingly succesful shop in terms of sales units per month and there are 3/4 sales staff doing things...

With 1 M$ you should be able to buy a 300k$ turnover business or buy something that is already setup and with a bit of focus can be better and have plenty of change. The local newspaper hasbusiness for sale columns in classifieds. EstateAgents have business for sale too - ljhooker.com.au for example handle business sales(where those have property interests).

Businesses are only just starting to become internet savvy - very few places you can order online... which in itself is an opportunity - imagine being in the uk 4 years ago when online buying was beginning to take off... its like that here. There is for example no amazon.com.au , ebay is only just beginning to get popular, broadband is taking off in the private homes.. All of the kids in schools are getting internet education - wait till they hit the street and want to spend their money then it will explode here.

If you are a bit entrepreneurial with some cash behind you then this place does seem to present quite an opportunity.

all of this is my view - you of course need to do your own research as anyone would before they invest or make decisions .

As for the other questions on flights, shipping, these have been answered in many other threads. You can search this forum using the button to do so from the 'page that shows the list of discussion topics, at the top right is a 'search this forum' button - you'll find what you need using that.

Last edited by spalen; May 28th 2005 at 12:27 am.
Old May 28th 2005, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

bloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
Be aware that NSW generally charges temporary residents (which you will still be until you get PR) school fees for government schools, about AUD4.5k per child per year. However Queensland may not do so. Check the government websites, but if living in a border area this may be worth considering in deciding where to settle.

I don't know off-hand whether it will make much difference in terms of options at PR visa stage (which state you move to). Get professional advice.

You are subject to FIRB restrictions until you get PR - http://www.firb.gov.au

If buying a business, make sure you get some professional migration advice on whether it's likely to qualify you for PR or not. As well as professional advice on the other issues.

Jeremy
Thanks for the speedy response, the information provided is exactly what we need right now, it's good to know there are people prepared to assist those of us still stumbling around in the dark.....
Old May 28th 2005, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spalen
There does seem a lot more opportunity here to open a business than in UK. I make that statement because there is not the penetration in new areas of established ideas, you always have the oppty to do something better, cheaper, faster, than somebody else - but over here you seem to be able to survive just by doing the same in a different area.

Rents are lower in shopping malls for retail space,in industrial areas large warehouse units, are much more available and much cheaper. I dont know what taxes apply on top , havent looked into that yet, knowing Australia they'll be pretty hefty.

The place is growing at tremendous rate (brisbane this is , so not sure if you're going elsewhere). So many many new communities are being built from scratch, this means they need the infrastructure for convenience that comes with them. Plenty of opportunity for service industry retail outlets (shops!).

Wages are low - staff in shops are plentiful, it stuns me that you walk into what would be a less than outstandingly succesful shop in terms of sales units per month and there are 3/4 sales staff doing things...

With 1 M$ you should be able to buy a 300k$ turnover business or buy something that is already setup and with a bit of focus can be better and have plenty of change. The local newspaper hasbusiness for sale columns in classifieds. EstateAgents have business for sale too - ljhooker.com.au for example handle business sales(where those have property interests).

Businesses are only just starting to become internet savvy - very few places you can order online... which in itself is an opportunity - imagine being in the uk 4 years ago when online buying was beginning to take off... its like that here. There is for example no amazon.com.au , ebay is only just beginning to get popular, broadband is taking off in the private homes.. All of the kids in schools are getting internet education - wait till they hit the street and want to spend their money then it will explode here.

If you are a bit entrepreneurial with some cash behind you then this place does seem to present quite an opportunity.

all of this is my view - you of course need to do your own research as anyone would before they invest or make decisions .

As for the other questions on flights, shipping, these have been answered in many other threads. You can search this forum using the button to do so from the 'page that shows the list of discussion topics, at the top right is a 'search this forum' button - you'll find what you need using that.
Thanks, I look forward to arriving in Australia but only a fool would do so without any fears or concerns when there's kids involved. I take your point about the opportunities and this is obviously one of the main factors in deciding to immigrate in the first place. Comming from a nation of shopkeepers it looks like Australia could be the place to set up stall....
Old May 28th 2005, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mand8002
Thanks to you too for the advice, I'm not wild about franchises and really want to paddle my own canoe when we arrive, but I know enough to recognise the potential for the right products on a franchise and agree that for some it could well be the way forward. I guess I'm just used to going on my own instincts and see franchise businesses as a bit of a middle man scenario with too much influence from the parent company. I apprecite the time spent on the reply and thanks again.
Old May 28th 2005, 11:00 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I look forward to arriving in Australia but only a fool would do so without any fears or concerns when there's kids involved. I take your point about the opportunities and this is obviously one of the main factors in deciding to immigrate in the first place. Comming from a nation of shopkeepers it looks like Australia could be the place to set up stall....
"no worries" I assumed that, I put that in to 'avoid' flamers!.
Old May 28th 2005, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

After 16 months of waiting, most of it for medical questions on one of the kids, we now have the letter granting us the 160 ( unsponsored temporary business owner) visa and have to be in Australia by october 1st.

Sounds Great, you're probably thinking - and it is - but here's the problems that go hand in hand with packing up a family and heading off to a new life...

Firstly we have no idea what business we'd like to get into. We were Hoteliers and Self catering Accommodation suppliers in Northumberland for 20 years and will leave the Uk with a little over a million dollars (if it stops getting stronger before we go - 2.39 today !) We don't, however, want to spend another day doing the sort of business we've done over here and this leaves us looking for turnover of at least 300,000.00 Dollars a year, 2 full time employees and a four year clock ticking....please dont start havng a go about money being no problem, buying a house, paying for medicare, insurance, legal fees, schooling and everything else will dent the cash reserves and after 20 years of 7 days a week it doesn't feel like a lot ... anyway we'll get off a plane with money but no idea what to do next. We'll have a place to go to temporarily on the Qld/NSW borders but it's starting to look a little frightening and I'd really appreciate some opinions on where to start.

Should we sell the house here ? Or rent it out ? We have a decent offer on the table and it will buy a house over there but is it sensible to just go for it and worry when we get there, Should we go on a four year holiday and see what happens ? Obviously we're keen to go - 16 months of self lodged applications were not done without thinking, but ultimately the time it has taken to get the visa has effectively killed off the original plans and here we are with a blank sheet of paper, everything we own up for sale and a totaly open attitude to what we do in Australia.

Sounds Great again - but honesty and self recognition compell me to admit that I am as nervous as a virgin bride ! Plans B and C mean leaving Australia and returning to Europe and Australia is still looking as good as it did the day we began the application but I guess we just feel like we're diving into the unknown and with 2 kids in tow it can be a little un-nerving.... Anyone else been here ? Anyone else going under the same circumtances ? anyone got any bright ideas that might inolve two Aussies and $300kpa?

I joined in with a thread about Busines visas a few weeks ago and someone offered "much respect" for the 16 month battle to win the visa without using an agent, now it feels like we're over the nightmare of the application fiasco but with another battle ahead to make a go of it out there, so hold on to any respect until 2009, it looks like Bloofox has cold paws !!

Any help with one-way tickets prices, shipping the furniture and a couple of motorcycles ( not that this is a priority for the wife & kids but year round riding is one reason I need to leave the UK !) and any ideas about making up your mind will be greatly appreciated.....See you in the Sun !

The thing to bear in mind, is that its better to be going over 'with' money, than without, so its a good problem, I am in a similar situation- money wise, but I have a plan, we are going to be setting up a photocopier service and supply business, I'm in the process of selling my company over here (same business), so exciting times.

Copiers are high ticket items, we set up 4 years ago, and will turn over au$1.7m in the fourth yearso the 300k barrier is not a worry.

Your in a very good situation you just dont realise it

What about hobbies, are you interested in anything that you could turn into a business, dont forget au$300k is only£125k.

Hope this helps

Mark