Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Business dress in Perth

Business dress in Perth

Old May 24th 2009, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Business dress in Perth

What is normal business/office dress in Perth? Do men/women wear suits?

In Singapore at the moment, about to go back to the UK so thinking of stocking up at M+S prior to move to Perth. Here in Singapore men wear suits rarely, and female office dress is often spaghetti strapped tops and short skirts.

I'm assuming a thin coat/jacket/cardie would be a good idea for the winter, but will we need anything thicker? We did go to Perth one June and needed a jacket for the evenings but not sure if that was "normal" weather.
Old May 24th 2009, 3:09 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Business dress in Perth

Originally Posted by Family of 3
What is normal business/office dress in Perth? Do men/women wear suits?

In Singapore at the moment, about to go back to the UK so thinking of stocking up at M+S prior to move to Perth. Here in Singapore men wear suits rarely, and female office dress is often spaghetti strapped tops and short skirts.

I'm assuming a thin coat/jacket/cardie would be a good idea for the winter, but will we need anything thicker? We did go to Perth one June and needed a jacket for the evenings but not sure if that was "normal" weather.
Perth in June is cold, wet and rainy. It's now end May and we've got the heat on in the house at night and early mornings. Last week it was down to 6 one morning. Bring a warm jacket and a brolly.

As for business wear, it depends on what type of business/industry. Certainly corporate types wear suits, but mostly what I've seen are shirt & tie for men with nice slacks and skirt & blouse for women.

I work in the cbd and honestly see all manor of dress, but if you are looking to impress then I would say shirt & tie; jacket optional.
Old May 24th 2009, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Ta.

Guess it's too hot to be too formal in the summer.

Are trousers acceptable for women? I can't remember the last time I wore a skirt/dress!
Old May 24th 2009, 3:23 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Family of 3
Ta.

Guess it's too hot to be too formal in the summer.

Are trousers acceptable for women? I can't remember the last time I wore a skirt/dress!
I don't own a dress or skirt, so yes, trousers for women are fine.
Old May 24th 2009, 5:14 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

The Geek wears a suit and tie every day, Fo3, but he is mostly customer-facing. I wear whatever I like but then my organisation is very casual. Shoes optional.

In your line of work I'd say business casual, aka open collar, much like you would in Sg. Trousers and a nice top, something you can wear a cami or singlet under when it's cool (a vest here is a waistcoat) and stock up in HV on pashminas so you can strip off or add on at will.

I took notice of what the locals wear and layers are it. You see women with bare arms but a scarf wrapped round ther necks. I use one nearly every day at the moment and will be stocking up in a couple of weeks; I have a desk drawer full of cardis, too.
Old May 24th 2009, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

My husband works for one of the major banks in an office environment. He has to wear a suit but no tie. Women wear trouser suits a lot or smart dress and jacket in the summer.

If you are in the Perth CBD at lunchtime and observe all the workers streaming out of the offices, most men wear suit trousers, white shirt no tie (jacket probably in the office). Observing the women I am always amazed that even in 40 degree heat, a lot are wearing hosiery.

To us it seemed that corporate office attire here is a lot more formal than back in the UK where it was smart casual (i.e. no suit).

It will obviously depend on the type of job you do and the environment/industry you are in.

Last edited by ozhappy981; May 24th 2009 at 7:04 am.
Old May 24th 2009, 7:34 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

It can get damn cold in offices - there was one client I worked for in Singapore where I wished I had covered legs! I got dressed up to go into the office and stripped off before I left.

Some of the more conservative industries may require it, too, but I agree - in 30-40C I just couldn't.
Old May 24th 2009, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks guys.

And yes, Seasider, have several drawers of scarves/shawls etc collected over the years that I only get to wear in the UK at Xmas. Was about to pass them to Mini for dressing up yesterday when I realised I might actually be able to get some use out of them.