Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Business Culture in OZ

Business Culture in OZ

Old Apr 8th 2005, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Phil-UK will become famous soon enough
Default Business Culture in OZ

What is the culture like in Oz towards setting up a new business ?

In the UK I'd say:

Red tape
High rates (local taxes)
Somewhat negative attitude towards something new

I think the USA has a positive, Go for it attitude!

How would you compare Oz ?

I'm thinking of starting a new venture when we get there, how easy is it to startup a new business (confectionary & snacks manufacturing) ?

Has anyone started a new biz after arriving, how was your experience ?

PS. I'll be looking for a good Sales person, can you sell Ice to Eskimos? Fancy a new challenge, drop me a PM. : )

Phil
Old Apr 8th 2005, 12:51 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Default Re: Business Culture in OZ

Originally Posted by Phil-UK
What is the culture like in Oz towards setting up a new business ?

In the UK I'd say:

Red tape
High rates (local taxes)
Somewhat negative attitude towards something new

I think the USA has a positive, Go for it attitude!

How would you compare Oz ?

I'm thinking of starting a new venture when we get there, how easy is it to startup a new business (confectionary & snacks manufacturing) ?

Has anyone started a new biz after arriving, how was your experience ?

PS. I'll be looking for a good Sales person, can you sell Ice to Eskimos? Fancy a new challenge, drop me a PM. : )

Phil

The Aussie attitude, from a government perspective, is as bad, if not worse, than the Pommie one. All of the things you've mentioned are here too, I'm afraid.

HOWEVER, given the right can-do attitude and plenty of persistence, a new business owner has more opportunity here than in UK (in my opinion).

I've been in business here and, apart from the usual red tape, etc, found it a good way to go, albeit a lot of hard work. If you're not scared of the latter, I'd say "go for it"!

Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:02 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with proof reader, its red tape city here. However theres more of a "give it a go" attitude.My boss has had so much support from people she knows since we opened in August, and we have got involved with a few community things, this in turn has given us heaps of support back
Old Apr 9th 2005, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Phil-UK will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the replies, sounds positive.

I think as I'll be out of work after arriving I'ts a good a time to startup my biz idea as any.

Phil
Old Apr 9th 2005, 9:32 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies, sounds positive.

I think as I'll be out of work after arriving I'ts a good a time to startup my biz idea as any.

Phil
In one state it is as much hassle as the UK. Each additional state you set up in adds more and more hassle.
Old Apr 9th 2005, 9:39 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

startup a new business (confectionary & snacks manufacturing) ?
mmmm I grew up with my mother making chocolates and for many years my parents had a choccy shop, but they are now retired.