Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BUSINESS CLASS FLIGHTS (AIR NEW ZEALAND OR CATHAY PACIFIC

BUSINESS CLASS FLIGHTS (AIR NEW ZEALAND OR CATHAY PACIFIC

Old Jun 5th 2007, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute
Default BUSINESS CLASS FLIGHTS (AIR NEW ZEALAND OR CATHAY PACIFIC

Due to cicumstances we have little option but to fly to Brisbane in one go on the 27th or 28th June(just to be on the safe side and arrive before 1st July ) rather than stop off in san francisco or fiji enroute.Therefore as its a long and arduous 11/2 -2day journey the idea of flying business class is beginning to appeal for more comfort etc. Most realistic quotes received so far are AIR NEWZEALAND £2036 one way or CATHAY PACIFIC £1645 one way .The question i would like to ask is has anyone out there used either or both of these airlines and the thoughts of these people about their journeys or the airlines themselves would be very much appreciated either good or bad
cheers Bobby
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:45 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BUSINESS CLASS FLIGHTS (AIR NEW ZEALAND OR CATHAY PACIFIC

Fly Air NZ. Reason is....

Cathay have ANGLED flat bed seating on the London to Hong Kong leg only. From HK to BNE the seats are old style reclining seats.

Air NZ is now using the fully flat seats which are the same as Virgins Upper Class. Non reclining pure outstretched 180 degree sleep bliss with nobody sat next to you and everyone in the aisle. The only difficulty is that is hard to char to the person next to you directly but then they can always come and sit on your ottoman

On the downside I believe the Air NZ flight is longer. But then having flown those seats before...I wouldnt really care much as they are that good.

Check it out :- http://www.flatseats.com/Reviews/nz-spc-1.htm

Last edited by Centurion; Jun 5th 2007 at 8:47 pm. Reason: added link
Old Jun 6th 2007, 12:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: BUSINESS CLASS FLIGHTS (AIR NEW ZEALAND OR CATHAY PACIFIC

Originally Posted by Centurion
Fly Air NZ. Reason is....

Cathay have ANGLED flat bed seating on the London to Hong Kong leg only. From HK to BNE the seats are old style reclining seats.

Air NZ is now using the fully flat seats which are the same as Virgins Upper Class. Non reclining pure outstretched 180 degree sleep bliss with nobody sat next to you and everyone in the aisle. The only difficulty is that is hard to char to the person next to you directly but then they can always come and sit on your ottoman

On the downside I believe the Air NZ flight is longer. But then having flown those seats before...I wouldnt really care much as they are that good.

Check it out :- http://www.flatseats.com/Reviews/nz-spc-1.htm
thanks for the reply centurion personally air newzealand would be my choice but like most men i usually get to take a back seat at decision time
Er indoors has just informed me that eva air are doing business class travel at £1055 one way via taipei which seems very cheap !Do you happen to know anything about this company ?
cheers bobby
Old Jun 6th 2007, 1:26 pm
skye

Do a search on here for Eva Air, we too are going to go with them hopefully in six weeks time

Old Jun 6th 2007, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

looked at eva air thanks and they did come in cheaper than air n/z at approx £ 1300 but we've gone ahead with the air new zealand flights thru their own website (cheaper ) primarily because of previous posters thoughts and the fact they travel westwards which allows for bucket fulls of luggage allowances
cheers bobby
Old Jun 6th 2007, 8:19 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
thanks for the reply centurion personally air newzealand would be my choice but like most men i usually get to take a back seat at decision time
Er indoors has just informed me that eva air are doing business class travel at £1055 one way via taipei which seems very cheap !Do you happen to know anything about this company ?
cheers bobby
Yes, my wife has travelled Eva business class. Its old seats and nothing like a flat bed hence the price difference I suspect. They do have angled lie flat beds but only on 777-300ER aircraft. Also they do something called Evergreen class and dont get confused, this is a premium economy class and seat pitch is 38".

They advertise the upgrade as 300 GBP for evergreen over economy fares (so this may be what your getting) and 900 GBP for business.

You could always check with them directly and see which planes do the route.

For my money I'd still fly NZ and the fare you have is a decent one I think for one of the best business products in the sky.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 6:20 am
Citizenships collector...

urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light

Hiya bobby,

You should check this site from Air NZ, a virtual tour of Boeing 747s and 777 with a view of their business class

http://view.aimproximity.net.nz/explore/explore_flh.htm

I did travel on the lie flat beds but only from NZ to Aus and it was great so I can just imagine if it is long haul. When you're travelling from NZ to Aus though make sure you don't travel on the Airbus A320 cos they don't have the lie flat beds in business class.

Jen

Due to cicumstances we have little option but to fly to Brisbane in one go on the 27th or 28th June(just to be on the safe side and arrive before 1st July ) rather than stop off in san francisco or fiji enroute.Therefore as its a long and arduous 11/2 -2day journey the idea of flying business class is beginning to appeal for more comfort etc. Most realistic quotes received so far are AIR NEWZEALAND £2036 one way or CATHAY PACIFIC £1645 one way .The question i would like to ask is has anyone out there used either or both of these airlines and the thoughts of these people about their journeys or the airlines themselves would be very much appreciated either good or bad
cheers Bobby
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Centurion
Yes, my wife has travelled Eva business class. Its old seats and nothing like a flat bed hence the price difference I suspect. They do have angled lie flat beds but only on 777-300ER aircraft. Also they do something called Evergreen class and dont get confused, this is a premium economy class and seat pitch is 38".

They advertise the upgrade as 300 GBP for evergreen over economy fares (so this may be what your getting) and 900 GBP for business.

You could always check with them directly and see which planes do the route.

For my money I'd still fly NZ and the fare you have is a decent one I think for one of the best business products in the sky.
Thanks once again for the info mate we've booked up with air new zealand at just over 2 grand each one way (granted more expensive than others ) but looking at the whole picture they do look the part of a good companyWill give my complete verdict after the event which is 26th June
cheers bobby
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by urbanproject
Hiya bobby,

You should check this site from Air NZ, a virtual tour of Boeing 747s and 777 with a view of their business class

http://view.aimproximity.net.nz/explore/explore_flh.htm

I did travel on the lie flat beds but only from NZ to Aus and it was great so I can just imagine if it is long haul. When you're travelling from NZ to Aus though make sure you don't travel on the Airbus A320 cos they don't have the lie flat beds in business class.

Jen
Thanks for the website Jen it does look very impressive !Unfortunately the last leg of the flight is on an airbus 320 but fortunately its only a flight of less than 4 hrs so just a hop skip and a jump compared to the 1st & 2nd legs of the journey
cheers bobby
Old Jun 7th 2007, 2:02 pm
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

cheers Bobby
Haven't read all the other posts, but Cathay to Brisbane has a long stop over in HK. In business you'd get the lounge, maybe even a hotel. Just so yo know, I was going mental when I had to wait there for about 8 hours once, and I was in the lounge.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

hutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the rough

looked at eva air thanks and they did come in cheaper than air n/z at approx £ 1300 but we've gone ahead with the air new zealand flights thru their own website (cheaper ) primarily because of previous posters thoughts and the fact they travel westwards which allows for bucket fulls of luggage allowances
cheers bobby
Haway the lads.
We came out business class with Air NZ and found they were excellent. Would recommend them.
Left Sunderland Sep 03 and now settled and loving Rockingham WA

Terry
Old Jun 9th 2007, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hutchy
....................and now settled and loving Rockingham WA

Terry

lol

I recced that place last year. Couldn't find any Aussies in it!
Old Jun 10th 2007, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Stephen
lol

I recced that place last year. Couldn't find any Aussies in it!
Where?Sunderland or Rockingham ?
Old Jun 10th 2007, 11:56 am
Banned

mancity is an unknown quantity at this point

Where?Sunderland or Rockingham ?
Used them both , nothing exceptional to share about.

Still stuck in a alumium tube, bunging yourself up.