British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/business-class-airfares-uk-europe-approx-%242700-%242800-rtn-653462/)

aussiedreamer Jun 8th 2010 10:20 am

Re: Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

just trying to call on to book my flights, what code do i put in the front

jane

louie Jun 17th 2010 8:28 pm

The ANA availability checker is no longer available unless you have ANA frequent flyer points - if you go in as usual you will see it is greyed out. However a clever soul has sorted out a workaround:

1) Click on "ANA International Flight Awards"
2) Enter any (valid) city pairs and any (valid) dates
3) Click "Next", NOT of Flight Search
4) Scroll all the way to the bottom
5) You should see "Use Star Alliance Member Airlines" button, click this to search *A availability.

How long it takes ANA to plug that remains to be seen. No idea how anyone will be able to book reward flights without setting aside a week to phone after that!!

bcworld Jun 17th 2010 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by louie (Post 8639610)
No idea how anyone will be able to book reward flights without setting aside a week to phone after that!!

Air Canada Aeroplan...gives the same results, but I hate the website, it's horrible!

louie Jun 20th 2010 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by louie (Post 8616916)
Have I got this right? I join, buy 50k miles (and thus get 100k). Hubby joins, buys 50k and gives them to me - I now have 200k.

I need 240k or 300k for two flights (me and hubby). Can my dad join and buy 20k or 50k and give them to me so that I now have 240k or 300k?

Well we've just booked (or at least I hope we have) two first class tickets to come and visit you Aussies next February, with Thai from Heathrow to Sydney via Bangkok.

Rather than doing it all from one Dividend Miles account, hubby and I both set up an account and bought ourselves 50k miles, doubled up to 100k, then gifted each other 25k, doubled up to 50k, so we didn't have to buy any miles at full price. Total cost per person US$2,217.19 + taxes £179.97. So about A$2,850 first class if I've calculated that right. Bargain. I'm so looking forward to this.

Mind you, I say "I hope we have" booked because they say it could take a couple of days for the tickets to be issued and I'd feel much happier knowing it was all done and dusted....

Thanks again to bcworld without whom I would not have known about this offer (I can't send you more karma without spreading it around a little first!)

Bermudashorts Jun 20th 2010 4:27 pm

Sounds great. Enjoy your trip. :thumbsup:

thedons Jun 21st 2010 5:08 am

Ok could i book rtn tickets over xmas now???
leaving say 10 dec rtn 5 of jan
2 adults business class
Can i do that now and have do you check availability again please

bcworld Jun 21st 2010 5:29 am

Originally Posted by louie (Post 8644909)
Thanks again to bcworld without whom I would not have known about this offer (I can't send you more karma without spreading it around a little first!)

Nice work louie! :thumbup:

Originally Posted by thedons (Post 8645681)
Ok could i book rtn tickets over xmas now???
leaving say 10 dec rtn 5 of jan
2 adults business class
Can i do that now and have do you check availability again please

Yes there are options...London is tricky, but via another European city there is availability around those dates...e.g. Frankfurt. SYD > BKK > FRA > LHR.

Is London your final destination??

thedons Jun 21st 2010 5:35 am

Yes that would be London,
We also signed up as members awhile ago so could we book that now.
If there is availability i would book it now ?? how can we check??

bcworld Jun 21st 2010 6:39 am

Originally Posted by thedons (Post 8645708)

There have been a couple of ways of checking mentioned already on the thread...unfortunately neither of them are straightforward.

I can tell you if you are prepared to stay a night in Bangkok on the way out you will have no problems - this is only because there is a bit of a complication with SYD and BNE flights due to some schedule changes. Departing MEL, no such problems.

There are at least 2 seats in business or first available on 10th, 12th and 13th Dec (BKK - LHR). There is also loads of availability SYD - BKK just no nice connections.

Coming back is harder...you'd need to look at Frankfurt etc.

louie Jun 21st 2010 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by thedons (Post 8645708)

As bcworld says, there is plenty available on Thai at the moment although the changeover in Bangkok doesn't work too well. For example, in business class:

9 Dec SYD - BKK 10.00 - 15.20

Then relax for a night in BKK (or fly 9 Dec SYD - MEL on a domestic flight then 10 Dec MEL - BKK 00.20 - 05.30)

10 Dec BKK - LHR 13.30 - 19.35

returning

5 Jan LHR - Frankfurt 19.00 - 21.30 (or LCY - Frankfurt 18.35 - 21.05 if you fancied a change)
5 Jan Frankfurt - BKK 22.50 - 15.20 (+1)
6 Jan BKK - SYD 18.25 - 07.35 (+1)

Some of these flights would be with Lufthansa.

Use the ANA tool referred to previously whilst you still can!!

louie Jun 22nd 2010 8:35 am

Originally Posted by louie (Post 8646973)
or fly 9 Dec SYD - MEL on a domestic flight then 10 Dec MEL - BKK 00.20 - 05.30

Actually thinking about it, I don't know whether you can fly out from one airport and back to another. You can do open jaw, which I understand to mean flying to one airport and back from another, as long as you don't have a stopover (it's open jaw or stopover, not both). Does anyone know?

Do ya like dags! Jun 26th 2010 4:32 am

ok i'm really trying to book and can't work out the ANA web page for availability
don't know where to put in the dates !!???
We are really flexible with dates and even routes as it just the wife and i flying.
We are wanting to fly out of Syd - LHR, now if it means via other city so be it
Flying on the 13 dec and returning / around the 7th Jan. don't mind stopping for a night in BKK on either leg?
Can anyone please help me !!
I heard that i can even hold the flights for 3 days

bcworld Jun 26th 2010 6:06 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Do ya like dags! (Post 8658191)
ok i'm really trying to book and can't work out the ANA web page for availability
don't know where to put in the dates !!???
We are really flexible with dates and even routes as it just the wife and i flying.
We are wanting to fly out of Syd - LHR, now if it means via other city so be it
Flying on the 13 dec and returning / around the 7th Jan. don't mind stopping for a night in BKK on either leg?
Can anyone please help me !!
I heard that i can even hold the flights for 3 days

The following is available for 2 seats in business - whether you can hold for 3 days probably depends on who you speak to at the call centre:

thedons Jun 26th 2010 6:16 am

OMG thats amazing BC, thanks can you please give me the tel no.
should i just call and give them the flight details i.e numbers and is it all confirmed by e-mail?
thanks again i have just joined the ana mileage club and can't find the flight search ?????
thanks the dons

bcworld Jun 26th 2010 6:27 am

The number is +1 800-428-4322.

It will probably be closed right now - should be open from 10pm tonight - although I've called before during closed hours and someone picked up and I booker tickets!