Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Old Jul 5th 2011, 11:41 pm
Just Joined

Aly_James is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

HI Guys

Am quite new to all of this and am looking at options for a trip to the UK next year. I have just put my dates in Aeroplan (May 11-25) and am being quoted 290000 miles for 2 in Business class with Thai.

This is obviously more than the 120000 per person others seem to be able to get.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong!!

many thanks

James
Old Jul 5th 2011, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, James.

The aeroplan site just shows you availability for awards flights.

US airways requires 120k miles for a business flight and it is US airways you have to buy the miles from and book through?

Hope that helps?

Stu
Old Jul 6th 2011, 4:28 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aly_James
HI Guys

Am quite new to all of this and am looking at options for a trip to the UK next year. I have just put my dates in Aeroplan (May 11-25) and am being quoted 290000 miles for 2 in Business class with Thai.

This is obviously more than the 120000 per person others seem to be able to get.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong!!
Originally Posted by bcworld
Try this:

http://www1.aeroplan.com/adr/AirBooking.do

...and ignore any mileage quotes you see, these are what Air Canada charges, not US.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Does this work for normal flights, or just business class?

I'm one of the few people who dont actually mind flying economy, I'd rather save the $1000 and just pay for a normal flight.

But if it can get me savings on economy then I'd be interested....
Old Jul 6th 2011, 5:15 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80

I'm one of the few people who dont actually mind flying economy, I'd rather save the $1000 and just pay for a normal flight.

Economy is 100k, business 120k and first 150k. The only time economy might be worth a go would be peak times like Xmas...you'd probably end up saving several hundred $'s off those fares.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 5:18 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

For economy you need 100,000 miles for a return ticket, which in the latest offer (now ended!) would have cost you $1450 - then add on the airport fees and taxes when you make the booking. So probably not worth it, since you can get a flight for about the same cost without relying on FF seats being available on a limited number of airlines.

Where did the 'save $1000' come from? The difference between a business and economy return flight to Europe is about $4000+!
Old Jul 6th 2011, 6:22 am
Just Joined

Aly_James is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sammyg
Yes, James.

The aeroplan site just shows you availability for awards flights.

US airways requires 120k miles for a business flight and it is US airways you have to buy the miles from and book through?

Hope that helps?

Stu
Thanks very much. That makes sense!!
Old Jul 6th 2011, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
For economy you need 100,000 miles for a return ticket, which in the latest offer (now ended!) would have cost you $1450 - then add on the airport fees and taxes when you make the booking. So probably not worth it, since you can get a flight for about the same cost without relying on FF seats being available on a limited number of airlines.

Where did the 'save $1000' come from? The difference between a business and economy return flight to Europe is about $4000+!
Thanks for the explanation (and bcworld too)

My 'save $1000' meant I'd rather spend approx 1800 on an economy flight than the discounted 2800 on Business....
Old Jul 6th 2011, 6:30 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Thanks for the explanation (and bcworld too)

My 'save $1000' meant I'd rather spend approx 1800 on an economy flight than the discounted 2800 on Business....
With the last promo and the current ex rate the discounted business price was more like $2400. The compares pretty well with economy fares in (northern hemisphere) summer and is almost certainly better then 95% of Xmas fares...give or take the odd China Airlines flight.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

With the last promo and the current ex rate the discounted business price was more like $2400. The compares pretty well with economy fares in (northern hemisphere) summer and is almost certainly better then 95% of Xmas fares...give or take the odd China Airlines flight.
That is pretty good. I'm planning on going back in October so am currently looking at 1700ish economy. Although Malaysia had a sale a while back that went as low as 1200 so am waiting to see if that comes back round. I've signed up to this dividends thing though so will have def be investigating this avenue too.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

saintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nice

US Airways have launched their new promo, but it's for sharing miles only:

Limited time offer: Get a 50% Bonus!
Share miles between July 5 - 31, 2011 and your friend or family member will get 50% MORE.

So, with my girlfriend and I having purchased 100,000 miles each last month (50 + 50 free), if we 'share' 50,000 to each other we would get an extra 25,000 each, taking us to 125,000.

With shared miles costing $0.01 each and a $30 fee + tax at 7.5%, I make that 25,000 extra miles for just $569.75, saving $120 each on the 'buy miles' price.

This all sounds very good, does anyone know if am I missing something?
Old Jul 6th 2011, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saintstu
This all sounds very good, does anyone know if am I missing something?
Only that this is a poor offer in comparison with most of the offers they have had over the past couple of years. Unless you need more miles to use very soon, if I were you, I'd wait for the next offer (at least, that is what I will be doing!).
Old Jul 9th 2011, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

nic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to all

Hi Guys - looking for a bit of help. Was hoping to get two business class from London to LA and thought it would be easier to use US airways via Philadelphia. I have looked througth ANA at every month through September to March with no luck at all, not one flight. Am I doing something wrong or is it always this difficult. I would really appreciate some advice. Thanks
Old Jul 9th 2011, 11:03 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by nic75
Hi Guys - looking for a bit of help. Was hoping to get two business class from London to LA and thought it would be easier to use US airways via Philadelphia. I have looked througth ANA at every month through September to March with no luck at all, not one flight. Am I doing something wrong or is it always this difficult. I would really appreciate some advice. Thanks
A few things:
  • If you really do want to fly US Airways (a big if) you can check availability for that (and book online) by logging in to Dividend Miles. Note that the mileage quoted will most probably not be the same as for a partner award, it can often be more expensive.
  • Second, on US domestic flights business class is generally referred to as First, and books into an F code - this may be confusing ANA (you should still be able to get these flights for business miles)
  • There are better options non stop from LHR to LAX; Air NZ & United Airlines
  • There are better one stop options than having a long domestic sector on US Airways; look for a flight to LAX via a European hub, maybe on Lufthansa or Swiss
  • If non stop is not an option maybe also look at Air Canada and what you could do via, say, Vancouver or somewhere else
  • If you are finding the longhaul flights you need but maybe struggling with domestic sectors on ANA...call up US and ask, you may find there is no problem after all. If ANA is showing it as F you can probably get it booked.
  • Flying to PHL then to LAX is probably the least desirable option of all!
Old Jul 10th 2011, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

nic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to all

Thank you bcworld, you really are a mine of wonderful information.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.