Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Old Mar 20th 2010, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Just a little word of warning. A few people I know have telephoned for availability on a range of flights but all that is being quoted to them is coach, ie economy with no business availability.

When my 10 days is up I will phone for availability first and then buy the miles. They should hold flights for you.

I wonder if they have had so many enquiries and people signing up outwith the States that they've realised how much this might cost?
Old Mar 20th 2010, 6:02 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kingseat
Just a little word of warning. A few people I know have telephoned for availability on a range of flights but all that is being quoted to them is coach, ie economy with no business availability.

When my 10 days is up I will phone for availability first and then buy the miles. They should hold flights for you.

I wonder if they have had so many enquiries and people signing up outwith the States that they've realised how much this might cost?
I don't think there's any specific problem here Kingseat - in the grand scheme of things I don't think this US Airways promo will have much effect to seat availability across the Star Alliance...I could understand if their airline partners weren't particulary chuffed though.

The key to getting seats is flexibility on dates and/or forward planning - business class will not always be easy to get and on some routes nigh on impossible - especially if you are not interested in or not prepared to make a stopover somewhere en route. The second problem is the call centre staff - while some are helpful others seem to have little knowledge of Star Alliance member airlines and potential routings - this could lead to very lengthy phone calls! For example, when I said I wanted to depart MEL...they told me I had to go Singapore Airlines as they were unaware Thai Airways was a Star Alliance carrier.

If you feel you aren't getting anywhere or the agent isn't knowledgable say goodbye and call back and speak to someone else.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

will do
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 1:00 am
Just Joined

Bertrum is an unknown quantity at this point

BC very good post and a great find.

I have only just read it unfortunately (22nd of march in SYD). Now being its the 21st in the states do you think ill be able to buy miles before the end of the month? I have tried to purchase miles immediately but it doesnt work so im guessing the 10/11 day rule is still inforce even though i havent found this in the t&c's!! Perhaps the other option is to ring them up on the 31st of March and ask if they will waiver the rule on purchasing miles?

I fly 'home' annually and I have always brought my flights originating out of the Uk so with the great exchange rate they are only around $1500 rtn - But this does look a great offer to enjoy the delights of Business or first class.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 1:27 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bertrum
I have only just read it unfortunately (22nd of march in SYD). Now being its the 21st in the states do you think ill be able to buy miles before the end of the month? I have tried to purchase miles immediately but it doesnt work so im guessing the 10/11 day rule is still inforce even though i havent found this in the t&c's!! Perhaps the other option is to ring them up on the 31st of March and ask if they will waiver the rule on purchasing miles?
Very tricky one to answer. Assuming they work on US East Coast time in theory you should have until roughly early afternoon Apr 01 in Sydney. I would imagine that you would just make it. If the buy miles option still offers the bonus then but you fail to validate for it then I think you won't have much chance of convincing them to waive the rules. The points are actually purchased via a 3rd party (points.com) and the US Airways staff have little knowledge of how it all works.

It's strange the 10 day rule is no longer documented but clearly exists.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 1:45 am
Just Joined

Bertrum is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey BC,

Thanks for your thoughts!! Ill try to purchase some miles on the 31st.

Just had a look at the Thai seats in Business, they dont seem as good as say EK or SQ. Last 3 times i have flown to the Uk I have upgraded with my air miles on EK on the 380 and the seats seem alot more spacious and modern, although the first class seats look rather comfortable.

I have read through the earlier posts... in your opinion is it just Thai you can fly out of Sydney with? Would you be lucky to fly out of Syd using SQ or AirNZ? I would just look for a basic regular routing to LHR or LGW via SIN. Alternatively could you fly with US over the pacific and then onto LHR?

Thanks BC
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 2:27 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by Bertrum
Just had a look at the Thai seats in Business, they dont seem as good as say EK or SQ. Last 3 times i have flown to the Uk I have upgraded with my air miles on EK on the 380 and the seats seem alot more spacious and modern, although the first class seats look rather comfortable.

I have read through the earlier posts... in your opinion is it just Thai you can fly out of Sydney with? Would you be lucky to fly out of Syd using SQ or AirNZ? I would just look for a basic regular routing to LHR or LGW via SIN. Alternatively could you fly with US over the pacific and then onto LHR?
The Thai seats are I suppose a step down from what is on SQ and EK's latest aircraft...however I found them very comfortable, especially the slightly older model on the 747 (vs the 777). I have to say I personally don't understand Singapore's new superwide business seats...I've sat in one...it's like a bench, no possible way of using both armrests comfortably - I guess they make a nice bed though.

As for Sydney...you can't fly on US (and probably wouldn't want to!) as the closest they get to Australia is Hawaii! You will only find availability on Singapore Airlines on the aircraft which don't offer the latest prodcuts...I am told an old 777 with the new regional business cabin (not like the A380) will be flying to SYD soon...you won't get on the A380 or 77W - the only aircraft which serve London (and soon Manchester). It should be possible to find seats to Frankfurt though on the 747...the spacebeds, I guess very similar to what is on Thai.

Ex SYD your other options are United Airlines and in theory Air NZ via Auckland...but as before quite hard to find these trans-Pacific flights on Air NZ - actually the US - UK sectors aren't easy either. Asiana may be a possibility too from SYD.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

aussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud of

oH NO

Just saw this thread, have signed up and will just need to wait and see if the offer will be repeated later on in the year, need to go back in August to see my Baby sis's new edition. Was looking at booking business with emirates but quoted $8087 ouchhhh

JANE
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 10:33 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by aussiedreamer
oH NO

Just saw this thread, have signed up and will just need to wait and see if the offer will be repeated later on in the year, need to go back in August to see my Baby sis's new edition. Was looking at booking business with emirates but quoted $8087 ouchhhh

JANE
That's unfortunate Jane!

From what I can gather this is the third time this promo has run in the last year so you could be in luck if forward planning isnt essential. It ran in July 2009, Nov 2009 and now.

From stuff I've read I reckon the cutoff for signing up and meeting the 10 day rule this time around was probably 3pm Sydney time on 21st March - taking into account the time difference between here & east coast US.

It seems that the 10 day rule means that if you registered on say 19th March US time the first day of the 10 is the 20th...you can then buy on the 11th day which would be 30th March US time (starts 3pm Sydney time same day).
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 1:47 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
The Thai seats are I suppose a step down from what is on SQ and EK's latest aircraft...however I found them very comfortable, especially the slightly older model on the 747 (vs the 777). I have to say I personally don't understand Singapore's new superwide business seats...I've sat in one...it's like a bench, no possible way of using both armrests comfortably - I guess they make a nice bed though.

As for Sydney...you can't fly on US (and probably wouldn't want to!) as the closest they get to Australia is Hawaii! You will only find availability on Singapore Airlines on the aircraft which don't offer the latest prodcuts...I am told an old 777 with the new regional business cabin (not like the A380) will be flying to SYD soon...you won't get on the A380 or 77W - the only aircraft which serve London (and soon Manchester). It should be possible to find seats to Frankfurt though on the 747...the spacebeds, I guess very similar to what is on Thai.

Ex SYD your other options are United Airlines and in theory Air NZ via Auckland...but as before quite hard to find these trans-Pacific flights on Air NZ - actually the US - UK sectors aren't easy either. Asiana may be a possibility too from SYD.
I agree. SQ seats are now bizzare. The new regional config has sloping flat beds in leather. Not so great to sleep on. The new 77W and 380 business seats are uncomfortable in any position. They are terrible because they force you to sleep at an angle because of the massive protrusion at one side of the head.

In both cases the "pillow" provided is fairly nasty and the "blanket" would be rejected by most homeless people because its made of that material which causes you to be static for 2 months after your flight and has the comfort factor of wrapping yourself in a hedgehog.

First on the other hand is lovely. Nice duvets, awesome seats. A small cabin and a super experience. Oh yes, that's right you can't redeem rewards on a 77W or A380 in First which is funny since that's most of the long haul fleet.

Or find an old plane with space beds that routes you through Europe. Space beds my arse - because you most definitely don't defy gravity as you slide down them all night long and end up in the footwell

Can you tell SQ and I have fallen out ?

I like VS now, and Air NZ for business class. Most other carriers just don't stack up well next to them in that cabin class at all. With Air NZ revamping J again this year I think they will become the class leaders, if they are not already.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Have bought my miles at cost of US$1773.76 which on my UK CC is around 1,100 GBP. Just need to wait for them to show up and give them a call which may be tomorrow as I think they are may be 15 hours or so behind.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
From what I can gather this is the third time this promo has run in the last year so you could be in luck if forward planning isnt essential. It ran in July 2009, Nov 2009 and now.
Thanks for letting us know about this deal. If is does come up again, it would be great if you could flag that up.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

thedons will become famous soon enoughthedons will become famous soon enough

Have bought my miles at cost of US$1773.76 which on my UK CC is around 1,100 GBP. Just need to wait for them to show up and give them a call which may be tomorrow as I think they are may be 15 hours or so behind.
So did you book your seat before the MILES purchase
Old Mar 28th 2010, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

No, and I am getting a tad concerned. They said to me that Thai and Singapore are instant purchase so no holding for 3 days. I purchased my miles at 7 pm WA time last night but they are still not showing on my account. When I called this morning they said it can take 24 hours to show up though,.

Last edited by Kingseat; Mar 28th 2010 at 7:45 am.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

Hereandnow is an unknown quantity at this point

No, and I am getting a tad concerned. They said to me that Thai and Singapore are instant purchase so no holding for 3 days. I purchased my miles at 7 pm WA time last night but they are still not showing on my account. When I called this morning they said it can take 24 hours to show up though,.
Did you book your flight? I am looking to buy my miles today and wondered if you had managed to get a business flight out of Perth..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.