Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Old Oct 28th 2015, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Just a heads up for those with AAdvantage miles (or Etihad ones!), that Etihad will be using an A380 (thus access to First Apartments) on one of their daily Melbourne flights from June 2016. Availability is currently good as it's only just been announced; I've just booked to come back from London on A380s in First all the way next August. My first time on Etihad.
Old Oct 28th 2015, 10:24 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louie
Just a heads up for those with AAdvantage miles (or Etihad ones!), that Etihad will be using an A380 (thus access to First Apartments) on one of their daily Melbourne flights from June 2016. Availability is currently good as it's only just been announced; I've just booked to come back from London on A380s in First all the way next August. My first time on Etihad.
Louie that sounds fantastic! You'll enjoy that

I'm flying to the UK with Etihad next week, I'll give you a review. Only business class though, I didn't have any luck using my AA miles so had to put my hand in my pocket. Ouch.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 5:07 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Now that Woolworths have dumped QFF and Coles have signed up with Etihad, I think it's time for me to dump QFF (and Woolworths)

What's the best source(s) to collect Etihad? What's a good credit card to get? How do they integrate with other carriers?
Old Oct 29th 2015, 6:47 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
What's the best source(s) to collect Etihad?
If you fly with family often then I'd sign up with Virgin Australia and credit your Etihad flights there. You can then pool all your miles, and what's even better - and something that no other FFP in the world will allow - you can pool all status credits as well.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 12:47 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
If you fly with family often then I'd sign up with Virgin Australia and credit your Etihad flights there. You can then pool all your miles, and what's even better - and something that no other FFP in the world will allow - you can pool all status credits as well.
Sounds good

What's a decent credit card to accumulate Virgin/Etihad points?
Old Oct 29th 2015, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

What's a decent credit card to accumulate Virgin/Etihad points?
You just missed a 100k sign up bonus for this card. Currently (to 9 Nov), if you are referred (I'd be happy to oblige; I'd get 20k miles, send me a PM if you want one) you could get 80k points after $500 spend. Card fee is $349 pa but you get 2 domestic Virgin flights per annum and 2 lounge passes and the card earns 3 miles per $ on Virgin or restaurant spend, 2 miles on most other travel and 1 on everything else except utilities, insurance and govt spend (0.5 pts per $). The T&Cs say this offer is only for those who have not had an Amex Australia card in the last 12 months but I've recently applied for a second Amex and got the bonus on that and a quick Google says I am not alone in that, but YMMV.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 11:25 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

You just missed a 100k sign up bonus for this card. Currently (to 9 Nov), if you are referred (I'd be happy to oblige; I'd get 20k miles, send me a PM if you want one) you could get 80k points after $500 spend. Card fee is $349 pa but you get 2 domestic Virgin flights per annum and 2 lounge passes and the card earns 3 miles per $ on Virgin or restaurant spend, 2 miles on most other travel and 1 on everything else except utilities, insurance and govt spend (0.5 pts per $). The T&Cs say this offer is only for those who have not had an Amex Australia card in the last 12 months but I've recently applied for a second Amex and got the bonus on that and a quick Google says I am not alone in that, but YMMV.
There's also currently an NAB credit card offer with 60k Velocity Points / $150pa.
Old Oct 30th 2015, 10:26 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by bcworld
There's also currently an NAB credit card offer with 60k Velocity Points / $150pa.
Thanks bc

What's a good card that's good for accumulating points apart from signing up offers?
Old Oct 30th 2015, 10:29 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by astera
That's interesting

It is a pain with QFF that I can't combine my wife's points with mine

Can I use Etihad points for Virgin flights and vice versa?
Old Oct 31st 2015, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Can I use Etihad points for Virgin flights and vice versa?
You can use Etihad points for Virgin ECONOMY flights - see more here. You can also do the reverse, without the economy only restriction - see here. There are several helpful posts about this from an Australian perspective on the Pointshack website.

What's a good card that's good for accumulating points apart from signing up offers?
I'd say the Amex one is good if you travel and/or eat out a lot (and can make good use of the free flights) as you'd be getting 2 or 3 miles per $ but the NAB one does give 1.5 miles per $ of ordinary spend rather than the Amex's 1. Shopsmall is coming up now so that could effectively be $100 off the fee if you have Shopsmall merchants near you.
Old Nov 12th 2015, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

TakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond repute

Every time I try to book one of these reward flights I can't seem to find anything.

I have 240000 miles in AA miles (were dividend miles), and my daughter is getting married next October, so I'd like to get flights leaving the 1st coming back the 28th. I've tried the BA site, Qantas and I can't seem to find anything.

So where do I search?

And am I allowed a stopover as I'd quite like to spend a night in Singapore (or wherever my routing takes me)

Thanks
james
Old Nov 12th 2015, 8:01 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TakenThePlunge
Every time I try to book one of these reward flights I can't seem to find anything.

I have 240000 miles in AA miles (were dividend miles), and my daughter is getting married next October, so I'd like to get flights leaving the 1st coming back the 28th. I've tried the BA site, Qantas and I can't seem to find anything.

So where do I search?

And am I allowed a stopover as I'd quite like to spend a night in Singapore (or wherever my routing takes me)

Thanks
james
https://awardnexus.com/ ...is still around as a search option. I searched for SYD-LHR on 1 Oct and it offered me direct routing on BA in business. AA website showed it too. I only checked for 1 seat though...are you looking for 2?

Bear in mind BA awards attract large fuel surcharges.

Nope, no stopovers on AA awards.
Old Nov 12th 2015, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

TakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
...AA website showed it too. I only checked for 1 seat though...are you looking for 2?
Nope, no stopovers on AA awards.
Thanks, as ever bcworld for the useful link. I'm looking for 2 seats, I think if I left the wife here while I swanned over for the wedding I may have some painful bits for a while :-)

Cheers
James
Old Nov 13th 2015, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Plenty of availability on Etihad in business around the first and you could stay over in Abu Dhabi as you'd be using two AA awards in any case. Would be 150k for two one way. It's too early for the return though as seats are not yet released. Have a look at the Etihad Guest website, you don't need to be a member. Cash payment is much much lower than BA, less than $100 pp ew.
Old Nov 13th 2015, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

.... Cash payment is much much lower than BA, less than $100 pp ew.
Thanks louie, unfortunately any savings would be swallowed by me having to stump up to buy 60000 miles ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.