Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Old Nov 11th 2014, 10:20 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Originally Posted by bcworld
I've looked again for you recently but still coming up with nothing.

No, no upgrades using miles.

In economy I would probably default to the best combination of simplest / quickest / cheapest for your trip...I guess that means EK or CX for you, but prices look steep!
I actually found $2700 return if I go on 28 December and come home 11 January. Not ideal, but it's the cheapest I can find.

Thanks again. I've looked and looked but just cannot find anything. Guess I'm saving those miles for my trip to Greece next year instead.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 2:38 am
Just Joined

Kenji.1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bcworld
That sounds better!

Love CX...great seat, vastly more comfortable than SQ's benches! Which is great, because those trans Pacific sectors are LOOOOOOOONG! I think my HKG-EWR flight is 16 hrs!
Yep JFK - HKG is 16 hours not looking forward to that bit even in business. Can you imagine what a nightmare that would be in economy?
Agree with you about SQ seats. CX is going to have to be good to top Thais latest individual only 4 wide across the plane though. We were very comfortable with them.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

anawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there. Hoping someone can give me a quick answer.
I'm trying to book some seats for my mum to travel LHR-HKG-BNE return on Cathay using her Dividend Miles balance. Got all the flight numbers and dates sorted using KVS but I can't seem to get hold of anyone at US Airways to book the flights. I've tried calling the 1800-428-4322 number and go through all the usual voice recognition rubbish until I'm told I'm being transferred to an agent, but then I just get a recording saying the number I've called can not be reached from my area. Any ideas what this means or another number I can call to book these flights please? I've booked through US Airways for her before, but it was a couple of years ago so I can't remember the number I used then.
All and any help gratefully received!
Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 2:49 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

The direct line for Reservations is +1 480 693 6701, open 24 hours and answered by a real person. Or at least it was when I first posted this 3 years ago.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 2:55 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
The direct line for Reservations is +1 480 693 6701, open 24 hours and answered by a real person. Or at least it was when I first posted this 3 years ago.
I have always called the 1-800 number given in anawanahuanana's post. I'm sure it would've just been a temporary issue.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

anawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the replies guys.
Got through on the 1-800 number eventually. Had to direct dial though. Previously had been using a calling card and it seems you can get through to Res using some types of calling card. So, mystery solved!
Old Dec 11th 2014, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Tonyc88 is on a distinguished road

Dividend miles being collapsed into AA!

Any word on if this affects point value and if we should get flights booked now?

US Airways Dividend Miles closing in Q2 2015
Old Dec 11th 2014, 8:41 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tonyc88
Dividend miles being collapsed into AA!
Hardly a surprise!

Originally Posted by Tonyc88
Any word on if this affects point value and if we should get flights booked now?
The changes will be significant, some positive, some negative...on balance, mostly negative.

Positives:
  • They allow one way booking at half cost
  • There is partial online booking (some partners only)
  • They allow redemption on Etihad which is good for Australia flights (but see the point below about connection in the middle east)
  • Miles required for trips to Asia will be good value I think
  • The call centre agents are generally much better than US

Negatives:
  • The routing rules are not flexible like US - they have very defined rules about how you get from A to B and where you can transit. Even perfectly conventional one stop routes such as Australia to UK via a middle east hub are not allowed and must be booked as 2 awards (the one exception being the single number Qantas flights QF1/2/9/10 that transit DXB). Generally, allowed transit on the Kangaroo route reflects the past but think SIN, BKK, HKG, TYO - HKG would be my pick if I could get on CX
  • Another example - travel from Australia to North America must be via the Pacific only - basically that means Qantas, and the availability is non-existent. Whereas US currently will let you go via HKG no worries.
  • There are no stopovers. You want a stopver you have to book seperate awards - this means you must find availability on connecting flights or you're looking at 2 awards (that means more miles)

Current AA award chart
Old Dec 14th 2014, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

k974 will become famous soon enough
Wink Re: Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Went to look it up but my KVS as expired I don't suppose there is any availability from oz prefer bris but any east coast city to the uk leaving any day next week and back by 5th jan

Thanks guys
Old Dec 14th 2014, 8:54 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by k974
Went to look it up but my KVS as expired I don't suppose there is any availability from oz prefer bris but any east coast city to the uk leaving any day next week and back by 5th jan

Thanks guys
I very much doubt there will be any OneWorld availability, but what you might be able to do is an 'other' partner award on Air China.

Although, all I'm seeing is Xmas Eve departure (SYD)...arrive LHR 6PM on Xmas Day.

Looks like it would have to an F class award too but is available for 2 Jan return.

Old Dec 16th 2014, 3:14 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by k974

Thanks guys
So according to the BA method there is availability on CX on Thursday SYD-HKG:

Code:
SYD  Sydney Kingsford Smith NS AU [YSSY]
HKG  Hong Kong Chek Lap Kok Intl HK [VHHH]
THU  18 Dec 2014 | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive         St  Award Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------------
CX         110     SYD   08:35     HKG   14:55              CS3  WS0  YS0
CX         162     SYD   11:25     HKG   17:50              CS4  WS0  YS0
and some options on 19/12 onwards to LHR:

Code:
HKG  Hong Kong Chek Lap Kok Intl HK [VHHH]
LHR  London Heathrow UK [EGLL]
FRI  19 Dec 2014 | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive         St  Award Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------------
CX         253     HKG   15:05     LHR   20:10              FS1  CS0  WS0
CX         293     HKG   00:10     FCO   06:50              FS/  CS1  WS0  YS0
 -> BA     551     FCO   08:00     LHR   09:45              FS/  CS+  YS-
CX         289     HKG   00:35     FRA   06:20              FS1  CS0  WS0
 -> BA     901     FRA   07:25     LHR   08:15              CS+  YS-
CX         289     HKG   00:35     FRA   06:20              FS1  CS0  WS0
 -> BA     903     FRA   10:55     LHR   11:50              CS+  YS-
CX is always worth checking close to departure as they tend to open up unsold seats a few days out...the problem is finding a matching return trip though.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Bc world it's all different from when I did it last time , bit of a change plan is there anything with 2 seats available in first class to somewhere in Asia leaving on 25th back night of 29th.

I've 400k miles burning a hole in my pocket Thanks again I'll try update my KVS.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

Hi Bc I'll try update my KVS now shouldn't be asking you to do everything for me , if you have sce a quick explanation on the new codes and how to search compared to when it was star alliance would be great

Thanks
Old Dec 30th 2014, 11:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

This has probably been discussed on here before but if not here's a tip.

Just been trying to book a flight from London to New York. All the airlines were coming back really expensive. I am located in Oz when doing the booking.

Take BA for example. They want £1700 GBP. I thought that was a bit steep.

So tried again with a VPN and set my location to the UK. Suddenly the price changed to £575 GBP.

So be warned when booking flights from Oz and Oz is not your starting point.

Not sure if there's any other way around this other than using a VPN.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

jamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nice

Just got back from Christmas and New Year in the UK , this was booked late because of a family illness.
We could only get availability with China Airways, we flew Sydney, Beijing,LHR we could only get Business Class, yet First Class was 90% empty on 3 of the 4 legs the other one there was no First Class.
We flew 3 times on a A 777 and once on a A330, we were comfortable on all legs but that is about it,the food is very average at best,Beijing Airport is a nightmare even when in transit so unorganised fast track means nothing at all.
The staff are really under trained either they do not understand, or they do not want to help, simple things like drinks menu not possible on 3 of 4 legs, they do not understand also it is impossible to ask for a specific drink, for example Whisky or Brandy, they just say no understand and when we asked for a drinks menu we were told there is not one available.
We were never offered drinks with meals on any flight 20 minutes before meals were served we were offered Orange , Water or Champagne that was it, so overall not really impressed with China Airways

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.