Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Old May 12th 2013, 7:55 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Thank you very much sir Would i be correct in assuming then that it would cost an additional $1015 to "gift "these miles to a partner therefore the total price would be $1850 + $1015 = $2865 one way first class ?
The miles quoted are for return travel. You then have to add approx $500 for taxes & fees if going to the UK - much less for other destinations.
Old May 12th 2013, 8:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
The miles quoted are for return travel. You then have to add approx $500 for taxes & fees if going to the UK - much less for other destinations.
Cheers mate So would it be $2865 + approx $500 taxes for a return journey first class?
Old May 12th 2013, 8:09 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers mate So would it be $2865 + approx $500 taxes for a return journey first class?
I'd say it's about $3500 all up.
Old May 12th 2013, 11:14 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
No, you have 2 accounts (say Bob and Jane)
Bob buys 50,000 and get s a bonus 50,000 (so total of 100,00 at this point)
Jane does the same
Then Bob gifts Jane 29,000 and gets a bonus 21,750
Jane does the same
Bob and Jane now have 150,750 miles which allows them to book 1st class flight from AU to UK
If they wanted Business class only 120,000 miles are required.
BUT - you need to check availability of flights by using ANA or similar, then you can call US Airways and tell them the flights you want and it makes it very easy.
Does that make it clearer?
Cheers for your simplification Kevin.
Just so I finally understand the maths of all this, when you 'gift' somebody does that total come off of your amount or is it a seperate purchase? The way you explain it you have the 50k plus 50k = 100k, if you gift 29k that would leave you with 71k....hence my slight confusion.

All in all, if you want to plan something like this then it is an extremely cost effective way of doing so.
Old May 12th 2013, 11:30 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by paddyo
Cheers for your simplification Kevin.
Just so I finally understand the maths of all this, when you 'gift' somebody does that total come off of your amount or is it a seperate purchase? The way you explain it you have the 50k plus 50k = 100k, if you gift 29k that would leave you with 71k....hence my slight confusion.
Gifting is just buying miles for someone else...they do not come from your miles balance - giving someone else some of your miles is known as 'sharing'.
Old May 12th 2013, 11:37 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

ahhhh....the thot plickens!!!!

Cheers guys....all good stuff!
Old May 12th 2013, 11:38 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Keep them. When they get converted to the new OneWorld program you'll probably need 60k for a one way to the UK in business class - that is the current cost with AA
How is this different to the current 120,000 for a business class return? Not sure what your point is.
Old May 12th 2013, 11:50 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
How is this different to the current 120,000 for a business class return? Not sure what your point is.
Who said it was different?

My point was that Kevin had just spent $1000+ on miles he didn't need. He seemed to be proposing to just give them away as long as the new owner paid the share cost (about $570). Zero benefit for him...a sweet deal for the new owner for sure.

60k also equals 2 business class return to anywhere in the South Pacific...so why just give them away!?
Old May 13th 2013, 12:43 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

OK bcworld, I see what you were getting at.

And once again, thanks for introducing me (and many others) to this wonderful way of buying tickets. Only problem is that having just completed a first class return to Europe I'm not sure I can face business class again, let alone cattle class - a feeling my wife also has to an even greater degree! Even a 13 hour stopover in Bangkok was a pleasant experience in the First Class lounge.

Point worth noting: if your wait between flights exceeds 12 hours you cannot check your baggage through to your final destination. When we checked in for TG911 at Heathrow we could only check our bags through to Bangkok because our flight to Sydney (TG475) left more than 12 hours after 911 landed - even though it was the same day and we were only on 475 because Thai had cancelled 471 on that day. So on landing at BKK we had to go through immigration, collect our bags, go through customs, then up to the departure check-in desk to check in for TG475. Luckily the Thai check-in staff were happy to take our bags and check us in for a flight 12+ hours later and we were able to go back through immigration and security to the first class lounge, but it was something we could have done without.

Last edited by KJCherokee; May 13th 2013 at 12:52 am.
Old May 13th 2013, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Who said it was different?

My point was that Kevin had just spent $1000+ on miles he didn't need. He seemed to be proposing to just give them away as long as the new owner paid the share cost (about $570). Zero benefit for him...a sweet deal for the new owner for sure.

60k also equals 2 business class return to anywhere in the South Pacific...so why just give them away!?
So how do we find out how far these miles will take us mate and which airlines will carry us please ?
Old May 17th 2013, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Koolcat is a jewel in the roughKoolcat is a jewel in the roughKoolcat is a jewel in the roughKoolcat is a jewel in the rough

I came across this document - it shows the routes Thai Airways does, days they fly and what first class and business class product is on that flight. Its a good reference for anyone thinking of sceduling flights with Thai
Attached Files
Old May 19th 2013, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

So how do we find out how far these miles will take us mate and which airlines will carry us please ?
120,000 takes you AU to UK business class, 150,000 takes you AU to UK first class (both return, 1 way is same price as return). Main airline seems to be Thai
Old May 20th 2013, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
9. Use ANA (search this post for instructions) for availability
Sorry for what its probably a stupid question but what is ANA? Is this a website through which you can check availability? Could you post a link?

Can I ask a few other questions?

1. What would the general consensus be on the chances of us getting flights around Christmas (say December 26th) from Melbourne to Dublin for 4 weeks but we wouldn't be looking to book until later in the year? This would be for 2 adults and 2 kids.

2. Is it a risk buying the miles before booking flights or do you have enough time if the airline reserves the seats for 3 days to sign up and buy your miles? I'd be divorced if I stuffed this up!!
Old May 20th 2013, 10:11 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

You have to be a member (of Dividend Miles) for at least 12 days before you can buy miles so sign up ASAP - no cost is involved.
Old May 20th 2013, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gidxg03
Sorry for what its probably a stupid question but what is ANA? Is this a website through which you can check availability? Could you post a link?

Can I ask a few other questions?

1. What would the general consensus be on the chances of us getting flights around Christmas (say December 26th) from Melbourne to Dublin for 4 weeks but we wouldn't be looking to book until later in the year? This would be for 2 adults and 2 kids.

Slim to no chance in first class, search this thread for ANA and do a search for availability (ANA is a tool for searching for seats, its covered several times).

2. Is it a risk buying the miles before booking flights or do you have enough time if the airline reserves the seats for 3 days to sign up and buy your miles? I'd be divorced if I stuffed this up!!
You need to search for flights first, you should have signed up for Dividend Miles already as previously indicated. When you find availability then ring up US Airways and make a reservation (make it easy for them by doing the legwork first). US Airways will hold flights for 72 hours which will give you time to purchase airmiles.

I searched for flights (Brisbane to Heathrow) and availabilty was slim around christmas

2 adults and 2 kids will cost around $15,000 by my calculations

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.