Business Class

Old Feb 23rd 2006, 11:00 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Business Class

'K <g>
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 11:02 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Did I say these reasons applied to all?

Why do their companies pay? Because it confers conspicuous consumption on the company that they can afford to send their execs this way; or the execs won't work for them if they don't receive the trappings of consp cons. More and more companies are sending their employees cattle class.

OzTennis
My company sends me so I can turn up having slept and not smelling + looking like shit after 14 hrs on a plane. ( I do still smell and look like shit but thats me not the planes fault). Nobody on the plane knows who I work for and I never know who the person next to me works for ( dont talk to strangers ) - so thats slightly tenuous as a reason.

A lot of companies enforce the economy rule - its a real deterrent to doing business, seriously - if someone came on here and said ' I just got a job in an aussie factory - they made me sit in a chair for 14 hours with 22inches of space in front of me, I was allowed to go to the toilet when I wanted but I had to spend 99% of my time in that chair and they brought my meals to me I wasnt allowed to go get my own with someone sat next to me and my knees up against the wall ' ...

There would be an outcry about howards workplace reforms 'battery offices' would be the headline....
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 11:31 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Did I say these reasons applied to all?

Why do their companies pay? Because it confers conspicuous consumption on the company that they can afford to send their execs this way; or the execs won't work for them if they don't receive the trappings of consp cons. More and more companies are sending their employees cattle class.

OzTennis
Companies also pay because the cost is passed onto clients as well. My travel was paid for by clients for international work. I needed to arrive ready to work that same day - walk off the plane and onto the job. Due to the level of fees involved the cost of a first class ticket is usually here nor there when you are sending someone to an international destination longhaul.

There are some other posts here that suggest that to fly first or business is in some way a need to "announce" it on a social level. Personally I agree with Wol on this point, those that can and do use premium services with any regularity I have found do not need such self glorification.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
My company sends me so I can turn up having slept and not smelling + looking like shit after 14 hrs on a plane. ( I do still smell and look like shit but thats me not the planes fault). Nobody on the plane knows who I work for and I never know who the person next to me works for ( dont talk to strangers ) - so thats slightly tenuous as a reason.

A lot of companies enforce the economy rule - its a real deterrent to doing business, seriously - if someone came on here and said ' I just got a job in an aussie factory - they made me sit in a chair for 14 hours with 22inches of space in front of me, I was allowed to go to the toilet when I wanted but I had to spend 99% of my time in that chair and they brought my meals to me I wasnt allowed to go get my own with someone sat next to me and my knees up against the wall ' ...

There would be an outcry about howards workplace reforms 'battery offices' would be the headline....
Some fair points about why companies might insist on sending their employees business or first class.

I think 'Johnnie' would say you aren't forced to remain in your seat, you can book with an airline like Emirates that has over 30" pitch, you can pre-book your seats so you don't always have seats in front of you and you are going to look hellish whichever class you travel in as you are still in a tin can with less oxygen than normal air, even in business or first class, particularly if you insist on imbibing and stuffing your face.

'Johnnie' would also say why send you travelling around the world when there are things like broadband and video conferencing. Not only are fewer businesses sending their employees business or first but economy; more and more are not sending them at all.

OzTennis
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Companies also pay because the cost is passed onto clients as well. My travel was paid for by clients for international work. I needed to arrive ready to work that same day - walk off the plane and onto the job. Due to the level of fees involved the cost of a first class ticket is usually here nor there when you are sending someone to an international destination longhaul.

There are some other posts here that suggest that to fly first or business is in some way a need to "announce" it on a social level. Personally I agree with Wol on this point, those that can and do use premium services with any regularity I have found do not need such self glorification.
You will appreciate that I was talking about conspicuous consumption in general as well as the different classes of airline travel and I didn't say everyone has the same reason for travelling thus.

To use another example, why does an executive need and executive car? An don't give me the I need to arrive in pristine condition argument! A Beamer or Merc is not necessary for this purpose.

OzTennis
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 12:11 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

You will appreciate that I was talking about conspicuous consumption in general as well as the different classes of airline travel and I didn't say everyone has the same reason for travelling thus.

To use another example, why does an executive need and executive car? An don't give me the I need to arrive in pristine condition argument! A Beamer or Merc is not necessary for this purpose.

OzTennis
Yeah but a beemer or mer lets the security walla know that he should open the car park gates double sharpish and not just one of the hoi-polloy coming through.

Communism has been tried - it doesnt work.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

willo is a jewel in the roughwillo is a jewel in the roughwillo is a jewel in the roughwillo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Australia Bound
So...

Did anybody go business or first class on their move to Oz? we are definately considering it. The wee man will be about a year and a half old by the time we go and economy just seems too much of a bloody nightmare with a small kid.

It's Three and a half grand for two seats, which is more than a bit shocking. :scared:

Do you think it's worth it?
Think most airlines if you book give you bulk head seats (on a row of four) with bassinet for the under two's to sleep in, we have travelled many times with young kids and never had a problem, staff have always been excellent if you need a stop over book a good hotel instead and you will still save money. The journey for the baby will be the same how ever you choose to go, think of the faces in business or first if he starts.

don't worry I bet he will surprise you they seem fascinated just playing with the remote control even at that age.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spalen
Yeah but a beemer or mer lets the security walla know that he should open the car park gates double sharpish and not just one of the hoi-polloy coming through.

Communism has been tried - it doesnt work.
You misunderstand me - I'm looking at the different motives behind why people pay more for something. I'm not advocating everyone in a Mao suit with a little red book and riding the same bicycle. I've said and I stand by it that for some the motive is status, snobbishness, I've made it or things of that ilk. Sure if the cap doesn't fit for you, don't wear it but it does fit for others.

Cleese: I'm upper class because I can look down on him.
Barker: I'm middle class because I have to look up at him (deferential) but I look down on him.
Corbett: I've got a sore bleedin' neck from looking up at both of them.

Some people also try to mark out their 'class' or social standing in so many ways and how you travel is just one of them.

OzTennis
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 2:10 pm
TopTotty

I'd say fly the way you live - if you are counting pennies then don't waste money on expensive flights, however if you are counting the millions - Go for it Girl!

Old Feb 24th 2006, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Now here's someone who was miffed at having to fly business class!

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...670206375.html

OzTennis
Old Feb 24th 2006, 9:51 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TopTotty
I'd say fly the way you live - if you are counting pennies then don't waste money on expensive flights, however if you are counting the millions - Go for it Girl!
In the big scheme of things, if I had a few thousand $'s to spare, I can think of about 20 things I'd rather spend it on than a business class seat.

Its only a 24 hr flight for heavens sake. Its not like they starve you or torture you in cattle class. You still get fed and watered and get to watch TV.

I'd rather spend the few thousand I saved on something I could enjoy for years to come.

From my experience, the reason companies flew me business class was every other compnay flew their guys business class, so my company knew I'd either refuse to go, or move to another company if they tried to fly me economy. It wasn't to do with showing off.

There does seem to be a creep towards not flying employees business class. In fact, shock horror , they are even talking about flying employees with easyjet, ryanair etc...

I'm glad I left the tight arsed bastards
Old Feb 24th 2006, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by molloymj
We paid 2200 gbp for 2 seats with Cathay Pacific. It was definitely worth it. Extra baggage, fully flat bed, better service....go for it!

We flew Manchester to Sydney via Hong Kong and booked it with Trailfinders. We flew in June.

Good luck!

Mike.
That is cheap compared to Emirates!!! Each seat for the same route is

Adult 1 GBP 2,906.00 + GBP 98.20 (tax) = GBP 3,004.20

three times as expensive !!
Old Feb 24th 2006, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
That is cheap compared to Emirates!!! Each seat for the same route is

Adult 1 GBP 2,906.00 + GBP 98.20 (tax) = GBP 3,004.20

three times as expensive !!
Emirates regularly offer lower priced business class seats to eastern Austalia - £1,900 rings a bell as the usual special price, not that I'm tempted because I think of that as 3 or 4 trips a bit further back in the plane.

OzTennis
Old Feb 24th 2006, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Emirates regularly offer lower priced business class seats to eastern Austalia - £1,900 rings a bell as the usual special price, not that I'm tempted because I think of that as 3 or 4 trips a bit further back in the plane.

OzTennis

Unfortunately no specials from Dubai to Melbourne - which is even more expensive than the UK fares - 1 business class fare = fare for 2 adults + 2 children by economy class - so easy to guess which class we shall be flying
Old Feb 24th 2006, 3:30 pm
Enjoy it while you can

Chick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really nice

You misunderstand me - I'm looking at the different motives behind why people pay more for something. I'm not advocating everyone in a Mao suit with a little red book and riding the same bicycle. I've said and I stand by it that for some the motive is status, snobbishness, I've made it or things of that ilk. Sure if the cap doesn't fit for you, don't wear it but it does fit for others.

Cleese: I'm upper class because I can look down on him.
Barker: I'm middle class because I have to look up at him (deferential) but I look down on him.
Corbett: I've got a sore bleedin' neck from looking up at both of them.

Some people also try to mark out their 'class' or social standing in so many ways and how you travel is just one of them.

OzTennis
Hi we can afford all 3 classes but it doesn't mean we want to fly 1st or Business, It's just that with OH being 6'4" and size 14 feet, on such a long trip we are going to probably have to go business class. Have flown with AA to America on too many occasions to count and have always been given exit seats due to OH height when being checked in by an American. When ever we have flown anywhere else in the world and asked to pay the premium for exit seats we have been told no you can't book these.!!!!!!!!!! We have flown business and first and to be honest we are just working class people and I hated all the pampering, I don't drink anything but cider so no free drinks for me and OH always picks car up from airport so no free drinks, we can't be arsed eating more than one meal so no need to stuff our faces, so all we are paying for is OH to sit with his legs in a normal position and not under his chin, the poor bugger in front of him can never recline their chair as OH legs are wedged in. We both read on plane so couldn't care less about TV. We have no kids so never get bulk head seats. So believe me we will be 2 passengers in business class who wish we could just fly economy where no one fusses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.