Business Class

Old Feb 23rd 2006, 5:00 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Business Class

Originally Posted by Amazulu
:scared: How do Boeing or Airbus let them get away with it? Their ass is in a sling just as much as the airline if something goes wrong.
I wouldn't believe everything you get told. It seems there is a snobbery that takes place with cheaper flights and airlines. I remember just about to board a plane with Garuda from Gatwick, and the customs guy looking at my ticket saying 'Garuda, hmmph, you'll be lucky' it turned out to be one the best flights we have ever been on. The fake thing is such as stigma in China, simply because it is known as the fake capital of the world. Also Quantas share flights with China Eastern, so I doubt they can be THAT dangerous.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 5:17 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
:scared: How do Boeing or Airbus let them get away with it? Their ass is in a sling just as much as the airline if something goes wrong.
who knows - but the guys I work with in beijing say dont even buy an ipod there because you never know entirely whats inside it ;-)

fake airlien parts is a massive industry WW. Just in places like china its er..easier... to get things past certain people.

I was on a code-share with qantas in business class. The china eastern flight - the seats still had ashtrays they were that old, and the 'film' was projected on one of those 3 bulb projectors onto the front of the bulk head - the food was totally attrocious and very very chinese. This was in business.

Last edited by spalen; Feb 23rd 2006 at 5:19 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 5:22 am
Sydneysider & loving it!!

molloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Australia Bound
So...

Did anybody go business or first class on their move to Oz? we are definately considering it. The wee man will be about a year and a half old by the time we go and economy just seems too much of a bloody nightmare with a small kid.

It's Three and a half grand for two seats, which is more than a bit shocking. :scared:

Do you think it's worth it?
We paid 2200 gbp for 2 seats with Cathay Pacific. It was definitely worth it. Extra baggage, fully flat bed, better service....go for it!

We flew Manchester to Sydney via Hong Kong and booked it with Trailfinders. We flew in June.

Good luck!

Mike.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 5:26 am
C&R

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
who knows - but the guys I work with in beijing say dont even buy an ipod there because you never know entirely whats inside it ;-)

fake airlien parts is a massive industry WW. Just in places like china its er..easier... to get things past certain people.

I was on a code-share with qantas in business class. The china eastern flight - the seats still had ashtrays they were that old, and the 'film' was projected on one of those 3 bulb projectors onto the front of the bulk head - the food was totally attrocious and very very chinese. This was in business.
My point exactly, you get what you pay for - re the facilities, food etc. No need for business class on China Eastern thats for sure. But you must admit the seats in Economy are larger then normal planes in Economy no? Anyway I'm digressing sorry to 'australia bound' for getting off topic.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 5:40 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone would agree that if someone else's paying, it makes sense to go first!

The difference between business and first is not as much as that between economy and business so IMO, unless you *really* want it, or have that much spare cash that you won't miss it, go business.

Then again, BA Traveller Plus - or other equivalent - gives significantly more legroom than full economy without breaking the bank.

Remember, on an aircraft, it's S P A C E you are paying for! That's why a first class seat costs what it does, not because the claret was bottled in a particular year. You also have the privilege of being first on the scene of the accident....... <g>
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 5:52 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Claire&Richard
My point exactly, you get what you pay for - re the facilities, food etc. No need for business class on China Eastern thats for sure. But you must admit the seats in Economy are larger then normal planes in Economy no? Anyway I'm digressing sorry to 'australia bound' for getting off topic.
I didnt get to economy - couldnt get past the chicken crates and open fires in the aisles.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 5:59 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I didnt get to economy - couldnt get past the chicken crates and open fires in the aisles.
It's an urban myth - they're braziers, not open fires!
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 6:15 am
C&R

With dog and cat meat sticks cooking nicely away. Oh and don't forget the stripey canvas bags.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

Australia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of light

The food and service aspect doesn't appeal to me. It's space i want, a few extra feet for the wee man to lie down. Those bulkhead seats though, right noex to the bogs, people queueing etc. Don't fancy that much.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Location: Sutherland - til we find a house with a nice kitchen! Oh, even better - found one with a nice pool.
Mr. Ee will become famous soon enoughMr. Ee will become famous soon enough

So...

Did anybody go business or first class on their move to Oz? we are definately considering it. The wee man will be about a year and a half old by the time we go and economy just seems too much of a bloody nightmare with a small kid.

It's Three and a half grand for two seats, which is more than a bit shocking. :scared:

Hi

We travelled over here in December with a 2yr old and a 4yr old and were in plain ole cattle class! We talked about business and decided that we would rather have a stop over in singapore in a great hotel. We flew with Singapore airlines who were great, we got bulkhead seats for the first flight and it was sooooo much easier than we dreaded it would be. The 4 yr old just plugged into the TV - your son is probably too young for that to help though. Also pick what time you fly regardless of class on the plane - fly at bed time, bottle, story, snuggle - SLEEP!
Worked for us anyway.
We had a great stopover - great hotel and also a nice hotel for the first few days in OZ - using the money we would have spent on first / business.

Either way - have a good flight!
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 7:16 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

The food and service aspect doesn't appeal to me. It's space i want, a few extra feet for the wee man to lie down. Those bulkhead seats though, right noex to the bogs, people queueing etc. Don't fancy that much.
lol - sounds like you've made up your mind. End of the day it's your money to spend how you wish
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 10:10 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

So...

No, its not. Its fun though, when my company was paying for it!

The value you get is laughable. A lounge Free drinks, some nibbles, free newspapers. Oh and a better menu on the flight, and bigger seats.

Do you want to work an extra month so you get the above crappy additions for 24 hours? Are you mad?

Nah

ADL
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A dogs life
No, its not. Its fun though, when my company was paying for it!

The value you get is laughable. A lounge Free drinks, some nibbles, free newspapers. Oh and a better menu on the flight, and bigger seats.

Do you want to work an extra month so you get the above crappy additions for 24 hours? Are you mad?

Nah
ADL
When you pay a premium price for anything there is the main benefit (to some) of letting others know that they can afford it (OP has different reasons of course!)

Why for example does someone need a handbag which costs thousands? Of course it is so they will be seen with a branded, premium product. Many who fly business or first class want to say they can afford it or be seen doing so - it confers, they feel, status and a high place in life's pecking order. They are prepared to pay a lot for their slightly better grub, a bit more room and fewer 'peasants' around them. Conspicuous consumption it has been dubbed.

Some people are happy to pay hundreds for Nikes/Adidas/Reebok etc when you can buy them elsewhere eg from the likes of Aldi (unbranded or with an own brand label) at a fraction of the cost. They literally come from the same factory (invariably in China), in many instances are the same thing, put a swoosh or 3 stripes etc and mark up 500% plus on the own brand. However, you can't look like Becks or whoever or your favourite team/player if you don't wear the same brand.

Over 1/3 of the world's tennis racquets come from the same factory in China, a third come from the same factory in Taiwan* and they make them for all the well known brands. There appears to be a lot of difference between Wilson, Head, Babolat et al but in reality there is little. But if Roger uses Wilson, now that will make you the best player on the planet!

OzTennis

Here's a wee verbal Scots joke I heard - fella is walking down the street with a shoe undone and trips over. Other fella goes and helps him up. Why didn't you tie that up he asks. It said Taiwan on the box!
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 10:43 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

>>When you pay a premium price for anything there is the main benefit (to some) of letting others know that they can afford it (OP has different reasons of course!)<<

Not quite! Very few of those are actually paying themselves - their companys are!

>>Why for example does someone need a handbag which costs thousands? Of course it is so they will be seen with a branded, premium product. Many who fly business or first class want to say they can afford it or be seen doing so - it confers, they feel, status and a high place in life's pecking order. They are prepared to pay a lot for their slightly better grub, a bit more room and fewer 'peasants' around them. Conspicuous consumption it has been dubbed.<<

Again - note quite! It is usually the case that those in First have "arrived", and don't feel the need to announce it. The loud braying emanates from business, where the "newly arriving" *do* often feel that need. I sometimes wish I'd studied sociology - there's booksworth of material here!
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
>>When you pay a premium price for anything there is the main benefit (to some) of letting others know that they can afford it (OP has different reasons of course!)<<

Not quite! Very few of those are actually paying themselves - their companys are!

>>Why for example does someone need a handbag which costs thousands? Of course it is so they will be seen with a branded, premium product. Many who fly business or first class want to say they can afford it or be seen doing so - it confers, they feel, status and a high place in life's pecking order. They are prepared to pay a lot for their slightly better grub, a bit more room and fewer 'peasants' around them. Conspicuous consumption it has been dubbed.<<

Again - note quite! It is usually the case that those in First have "arrived", and don't feel the need to announce it. The loud braying emanates from business, where the "newly arriving" *do* often feel that need. I sometimes wish I'd studied sociology - there's booksworth of material here!
Did I say these reasons applied to all?

Why do their companies pay? Because it confers conspicuous consumption on the company that they can afford to send their execs this way; or the execs won't work for them if they don't receive the trappings of consp cons. More and more companies are sending their employees cattle class.

OzTennis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.