Bush Fires

Old Sep 17th 2003, 4:16 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Earth wind and Fire

Mega this one is for you.
Attached Thumbnails Bush Fires-etw.jpg  
Old Sep 17th 2003, 4:22 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Bush Fires

Originally posted by Megalania
Then you are neither equiped for a bush fire nor for giving advice on same and probably have no other direct experience to relate than a few puffs of smoke which had you all a bluster. So ram that in yer pipe and smoke it.
I care not what you think... but anyone who stays in their homes when fire is licking at the back door to protect possesions .. is a bl**dy Moron in my opinion. The fire crews will also evacuate you too, although some people do insist on staying to protect their homes. A house is not worth risking your life for!

It's ok if you are not in immediate danger to put out spot fires and such, hose down the garden etc... but if the fire is out of control.. you'd have to be a bl**dy moron to stay.

Knew I shouldn't have replied to you... it was quieter on "Ignore"
Old Sep 17th 2003, 4:37 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Ceri
I care not what you think... but anyone who stays in their homes when fire is licking at the back door to protect possesions .. is a bl**dy Moron in my opinion. The fire crews will also evacuate you too, although some people do insist on staying to protect their homes. A house is not worth risking your life for!

It's ok if you are not in immediate danger to put out spot fires and such, hose down the garden etc... but if the fire is out of control.. you'd have to be a bl**dy moron to stay.

Knew I shouldn't have replied to you... it was quieter on "Ignore"
Is it worth it to you to have someone else's life threatened when protecting a house you had built in your stupid choice of location just because you are off with the fairies and like "living next to nature" but are not prepared to back up your choice by not just protect your house but your neighbours also?

I expect it had not crossed your mind and, just in case it had, I imagine you care not anyway.

Last edited by Megalania; Sep 17th 2003 at 4:43 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 4:42 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Earth wind and Fire

Originally posted by bondipom
Mega this one is for you.
Hurrumph, as nothing to my brimstone!
Old Sep 17th 2003, 4:49 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Is it worth it to you to have someone else's life threatened when protecting a house you had built in your stupid choice of location just because you are off with the fairies and like "living next to nature" but are not prepared to back up your choice by not just protect your house but your neighbours also?

I expect it had not crossed your mind and, just in case it had, I imagine you care not anyway.

Meg .. who the hell do you think you are.?.. you are giving advice to people and have no authority to do so. People should get advice from the fire and rescue service.... no where have I given advice on this thread about what to do in a fire... I have told people what happened, and I have also told people what possessions I would save from an out of control fire first. And I have also told people I would evacuate... I care not for bricks.. and in a raging fire - The firies evacuate people out of the area

They have Bush fires there in the Uk do they?
Old Sep 17th 2003, 5:10 pm
Banned

Meg .. who the hell do you think you are.?.. you are giving advice to people and have no authority to do so. People should get advice from the fire and rescue service.... no where have I given advice on this thread about what to do in a fire... I have told people what happened, and I have also told people what possessions I would save from an out of control fire first. And I have also told people I would evacuate... I care not for bricks.. and in a raging fire - The firies evacuate people out of the area

They have Bush fires there in the Uk do they?
Who the hell do you think you are? Let me tell you - a piss weak little part taffy chick with no investment in your neighbourhood other than a currently upright pile of new bricks. You choose to piss on considered advice but know nothing of what you speak other than for your self. The last bush fire in the UK was at the end of the Jurassic era.

I iterate for those not so disinvested. Consider your fire risk. If do not know how to assess the risk seek local advice. Have a fire escape plan and discuss it with friends and family so they will know where to find you. Clean your garden and roof of flamables. Have buckets and a pool of water ready or invest in a petrol powered pump. Fill the pool at the first sign of a fire threat. Pack essential possessions and keep car ready to go at a moments notice. Patrol your grounds when cinders start to fall and douse spot fires. Spray garden and roof. Listen to the radio - have a battery operated one handy. Have someone on lookout 24 hours a day until danger passes. Help your neighbours, some may be distressed even before anything serious happens. Keep body temperature down.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 7:49 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

. Keep body temperature down.
Kinda hard when theres a blazing inferno in ya backyard i should imagine. But hey, what do i know i'm just a dreaming pom at the mo! Thanks for all the advice Ceri and Meg (just wish you'd chill a bit ) I just think i'll do what i can with my hose in one hand, photies in the other, till my body heat hits boiling point. Then get f**k outta there!
Old Sep 18th 2003, 2:14 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Who the hell do you think you are? Let me tell you - a piss weak little part taffy chick with no investment in your neighbourhood other than a currently upright pile of new bricks. You choose to piss on considered advice but know nothing of what you speak other than for your self..

… What a Racist, sexist, ignorant statement. You don’t half rap out some vile statements from your fingertips old man. I’m not going to argue with you as you are not worth it.. You assume too much.

I hope you do me the same courtesy of putting me on your ignore list… just stay out of my way.

I personally find your comments sick regarding the unnecessary cruelty of domestic animals. I also find you comments above very ignorant, racist, judgmental and totally misplaced. I was not the one advising on this thread. I said seek advice from The Fire And Rescue Service.
I have not the authority to advise people and nor do I wish to advise .The only advice I have given on this is pointing them to the official bodies who are only too willing to give out the information,( it’s all there on their web sites.). and you are not one of them.. who made you fire chief?. You ought to read peoples comments more carefully before spouting off on the wrong turn of the road. You can stay hosing things down in a looming out of control bushfire if you personally want to and then leaving an evacuation too late. If you decide to evacuate it should be sooner rather than later ( If you leave it later you are more at risk in an evacuation.. if you care to check with the fire and rescue. If you also care to check ,fire safety is down to the person.. I would chose to evacuate if I thought it was too dangerous to stay!).. but don’t you dare tell me I’m selfish and I should be risking my life for mere possessions . I will evacuate if and when the authorities think it is necessary, or if and when I think it is necessary- not when Meg, Dudly or who ever you care to be this week tells me so. ...

Just stay away from me in future..,hit the ignore button.

Last edited by Ceri; Sep 18th 2003 at 2:32 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2003, 3:04 pm
Banned

… What a Racist, sexist, ignorant statement. You don’t half rap out some vile statements from your fingertips old man. I’m not going to argue with you as you are not worth it.. You assume too much.

I hope you do me the same courtesy of putting me on your ignore list… just stay out of my way.

I personally find your comments sick regarding the unnecessary cruelty of domestic animals. I also find you comments above very ignorant, racist, judgmental and totally misplaced. I was not the one advising on this thread. I said seek advice from The Fire And Rescue Service.
I have not the authority to advise people and nor do I wish to advise .The only advice I have given on this is pointing them to the official bodies who are only too willing to give out the information,( it’s all there on their web sites.). and you are not one of them.. who made you fire chief?. You ought to read peoples comments more carefully before spouting off on the wrong turn of the road. You can stay hosing things down in a looming out of control bushfire if you personally want to and then leaving an evacuation too late. If you decide to evacuate it should be sooner rather than later ( If you leave it later you are more at risk in an evacuation.. if you care to check with the fire and rescue. If you also care to check ,fire safety is down to the person.. I would chose to evacuate if I thought it was too dangerous to stay!).. but don’t you dare tell me I’m selfish and I should be risking my life for mere possessions . I will evacuate if and when the authorities think it is necessary, or if and when I think it is necessary- not when Meg, Dudly or who ever you care to be this week tells me so. ...

Just stay away from me in future..,hit the ignore button.
Righto, thought I was just being exceptionally easy on you.

Did not even call you "a half Bog Irish, half Thick Taffy, and the worst half of each - a minus person".

How about marking your house "Fireys, don't save my house because I don't care whether it or you burn."?
Old Sep 18th 2003, 8:01 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

I must admit - after reading the posts about bush fires I cleared away all the dead leaves in my front lawn on Holloway Rd. You never can be too sure now can you?

Good advice from both Ceri and Meg.....I hadn't even thought of bush fires before seeing this thread. Silly of me really but hey. You learn something new everyday. That's another thing to go on my list....contact local fire board people for advice.

Cheers

V
Old Sep 18th 2003, 8:32 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Is the Deli Lama Buddhist?
Is the pope a Catholic,? Dose a bear shit in the woods.......... MM
Old Sep 18th 2003, 8:50 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Bush Fires!

Has anyone here been affected by them at all now or in the past?
Got home last night to find that there was a small fire in the reserve behind (about an acre if that of fire) ..smoke billowing out. The firies had put it out, but the air was thick with smoke... now in this reserve there's a walking track which runs through.. the fire had been started near the track..... Kids!!

Today, I get a call from one of my friends up that way, and seems there's a biggish fire about half to 1k away, thick smoke, fire trucks blaring down the road... god I feel sick!
I'd like to get hold of some of these people... what goes through their minds I never know.
What's so frightening.. if any fire sweeps past at the back of my house.. my house is in danger (not that I care much for brick and mortar.. but my animals are in there)... we live on a bit of a hill, the reserve is below us, we are backing right onto it.. fires spread up hills fast.... you really should build down.

It's only September.. and this is happening now... we need rain! I'm scared what this summer is going to bring. The ground around is so dry

When we bought our land... the only thing which I didn't like was the thought of a bush fire.. if you've ever seen a bush fire - god they are scary!

I suppose that is one of the downfalls of living next to nature.... but boy do I feel angry and the stupidity of some people. What goes through these peoples minds????. If I were the law, I'd fine these parents of the kids who start fires. And if they are adults who start the fires... lock them up!

Anyway, I've always had a plan in case of emergency what to grab first, I wonder what would you other people would grab first.. ???
After life and limb of course

Mine would be my photo Albums (which are stored in a suitcase)
my videos (camera video's)
a box of my essential documents... ie work references, passports, insurance papers.. you know the stuff

And my hand bag. (which would include my essentials for booking into a motel etc... mobile phone, money and bank cards) .

If I could only rescue one thing (after human/animal life of course)... it would be my photo albums and videos which are stored in the same case. everything else I can replace.

This summer is going to be a pig of a year.. if we don't have some rain soon in Queensland.

Cheers
After seeing the results of" Ash Wednesday " 1983 fires in the Adelaide hills, and moving people out of the area, this is a big part of Australian life and we learn to live with it. Most houses in the Adelaide hills have sprinklers fitted to the roofs , block the gutters and fill them with water, as for your family photos and items that cant be replaced, i always tell people to go to the auction houses , and pick up a Fire proof cabinet /safe, these usually come up at Office furniture Auctions ,for $200 and will withstand a house fire....... MM