Burpengary

Old Oct 13th 2003, 8:43 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Burpengary

Does anyone live near here or know anything about it? Is it a 'nice' area? I've heard that its lovely further north round Caboolture.

I can't make up my mind where to live, although I realise I won't know for sure until I've seen some of these places for myself. Bellbowrie sounds ideal except for the fact that there are a lot of expats there. Do Aussies live there too, or do they know something we don't?

Jane
Old Oct 14th 2003, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

mary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant future

Hi Jane and Jim!,

Have you looked at the sites www.realestate.com.au and www.davidDeane.com.au ? It gives you an idea of prices and their distances from the city centre.

Iv'e lived in Brisbane for about 10 years and have been following the real estate market on the northside of Brisbane quite closely for the last year as we hope to buy a house farther out from the city centre next year.(Don't know as much about the prices on the Southside).

The northern suburbs have shot up in price because of a "ripple effect" as people can't afford the inner suburbs as much.

The area from Strathpine to Caboolture has still got cheaper housing and lots of new housing developments.They are popular with young families.You can also buy acreages(depends on how much money you have).Burpengary is near the rail which is good. The down side is that the amount of amenities hasn't caught up with the development such as shopping centres, restaurants and nightlife. Also you have a long drive 45-60 minutes to central Brisbane and the nearest surf beach would be at Bribie Island or Caloundra about 50km away.I find Caboolture okay but "unsophisticated (not that I am anyway!)It's so difficult to compare Australia to the UK but don't expect a "villagey feel " to these areas as they are nothing like the UK.

I'd recommend coming over and renting some where for 6 months to find out where you want to live.
Good luck
Mary
Old Oct 14th 2003, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Burpengary, Nerangba and surrounds are on the outskirts North of Brisbane. About 4 months ago these areas were predicted to Boom, because they are on the main train line in to Brisbane, I know that most people in the UK dont believe we get trafffic jams but we certainly do and the morning commute is not pretty.

These areas are not exactly stunning lookers, more your typical aussie all the same sea of roof housing estates, but people here love them, que up to get land in them. You can still pick up land for $160,000 - $200,000 if you look carefully and the supply is quite good.** Prices are rising tho rapidly.

Some of these estates have good facilities all planned in www.forestridge.com.au will give you an idea, its has schools, pub, grocery shop, sports centre all a pushbike ride away. Its one of the nicer ones with big blocks and lots of trees being put back in. For good value housing they are probably a good choice. Admittedly not my taste tho, however a lot of englsih people do go mad over those mass produced houses probably because of the size.

** When I say quite good you might put your name down and get a block two or three releases down the track (few months), unlike up here Sunshine Coast where land is very difficult to get,(houses much easier to find) some land coming up here is around the $250,000's just for a block and the developer has an average of 60 names per block. They can just charge whatever they like, amazing when you think two years ago the same land was $65,000. Allow time for building most builders are now 8-12 months ahead fully booked.

Last edited by dotty; Oct 14th 2003 at 1:19 am.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 9:08 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dotty and Mary,

Thanks for your replies. We are definitely not looking at housing estates. We would like upwards of 3/4 of an acre. We have $450k to spend without needing a mortgage. We are definitely going to rent first to make sure we pick the right area, but we have a 10 year old so I'd like to get it right first time, if possible, so he can settle into school.

Mrs Dagboy made the point earlier that she could see some of the Northern suburbs becoming the Logans of the future. Bellbowrie's starting to look more attractive again!

Jane
Old Oct 14th 2003, 10:08 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JaneandJim
Hi Dotty and Mary,

Thanks for your replies. We are definitely not looking at housing estates. We would like upwards of 3/4 of an acre. We have $450k to spend without needing a mortgage. We are definitely going to rent first to make sure we pick the right area, but we have a 10 year old so I'd like to get it right first time, if possible, so he can settle into school.

Mrs Dagboy made the point earlier that she could see some of the Northern suburbs becoming the Logans of the future. Bellbowrie's starting to look more attractive again!

Jane
Jane, just want to qualify, I actually said Loganholme not just Logan as a whole. I see striking similarities between places like North Lakes & similar estates around that area & Loganholme. Both were/are new estates that have large numbers of young families in, at best, average priced brick & tile homes on small blocks of land which are all the same. Large shopping centre opened fairly quickly but very little other infrastructure ie public transport etc in place. The socio-economic structure is usually such that families buying houses there will be in the position that they probably wont be able to better their position in the near fuure. In 10-12 years time the young families kids will have grown into teenagers that will possibly start to cause problems because they are isolated & there is very little to do in the suburb.

To liken it to say Woodridge isnt really fair as its definitely a step up the ladder from dole bludgers etc, but in my opinion it will have its own problems, just as other suburbs like Browns Plains, Loganholme have as they have become more established.

I cant really help with Burpengary, I dont know a great deal about the area, but I believe that you should still be able to get acreage in the area for around the sort of money you are looking at spending.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 10:23 am
Born to be ignored

Thanks for that Mrs Dagboy,

I think we're just going to have a good look round when we get there, we'd just like a general feel before we go.

Jane