British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Bunnies! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/bunnies-485853/)

Simpleton Oct 7th 2007 5:17 pm

Bunnies!

If everything goes smoothly with our skilled independent visa application then I hope to move to Australia next year along with my Husband. We have two pet rabbits over here that I'd love to come and live with us, but I have read that transporting pets over to Aus can be as expensive (if not more costly) than our own fare. Has anyone moved pets over to Aus, is there a ban on importing pet rabbits, what costs are involved, and how safe is it for the pets (IE what will travel conditions be like for them)?
I'd love to hear other peoples experiences, and any hints would be appreciated,
Thanks
xxx

Tiawamutu Oct 7th 2007 5:25 pm

Re: Bunnies!

Originally Posted by Simpleton (Post 5398013)
If everything goes smoothly with our skilled independent visa application then I hope to move to Australia next year along with my Husband. We have two pet rabbits over here that I'd love to come and live with us, but I have read that transporting pets over to Aus can be as expensive (if not more costly) than our own fare. Has anyone moved pets over to Aus, is there a ban on importing pet rabbits, what costs are involved, and how safe is it for the pets (IE what will travel conditions be like for them)?
Thanks
xxx

I'm sure you can't bring rabbits over to Oz. I read this somewhere on the forum.

Do a search, but be prepared to get a few threads not related to animal type rabbits :o :lol:

Scott Oct 7th 2007 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu (Post 5398039)
I'm sure you can't bring rabbits over to Oz. I read this somewhere on the forum.

Do a search, but be prepared to get a few threads not related to animal type rabbits :o :lol:

what sort then :thumbsup:

Tiawamutu Oct 7th 2007 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by scott&rachel (Post 5398061)
what sort then :thumbsup:

Something from this site maybe :o

http://shop.adultshop.com.au/product...XIQC-vl0Ikipsd

Scott Oct 7th 2007 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu (Post 5398077)

no way ;)

hey, stop bring this thread down :lol:

Simpleton Oct 7th 2007 5:46 pm

Thanks for the linky! (I mean to the other forum post, lol!)

It's not looking awfully promising :( I thought that I had seen somewhere that small pets could be transported, I thought maybe they would have to go through quarantine or something.
I do like having pet bunnies, but I kinda like the ones I've got, and would be sad to rehome them, only to go and replace them once we settle in WA.

thanks again
x

KerryRyan Oct 7th 2007 5:58 pm

Hello there,

Bunnies are defo no allowed to be taken to Oz, my father-in-law is one of the top rabbit breeders in UK and has said to us in the past that they don't allow them in the country as they are vermin, Sorry:(

SKIPPI79 Oct 7th 2007 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu (Post 5398077)

Didn't think you were allowed to advertise your own business!!! Don't we all wish it was!!!!

My missus got her bunnie through customs without a problem.
The sniffer dogs picked her out of a million!!!
Rampant rabbit was the best selling sextoy in 2006!!!

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer Oct 7th 2007 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Simpleton (Post 5398013)
Thanks
xxx

No, you cannot bring rabbits into OZ. They are classed as a pest here. Trap yerself a possum when you get here and 'turn' it into a pet! :p

penky Oct 7th 2007 8:31 pm

Hi

no you cant bring your bunnies,

I wanted to bring my two, emailed AQIS and was told a definate no :(