British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Bundaberg - what would it be like to lve there? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/bundaberg-what-would-like-lve-there-440230/)

Loiner Apr 6th 2007 6:57 am

Bundaberg - what would it be like to lve there?

We are thinking about Bundaberg, Begara area to live and work (Im a nurse). Just wondering if anyone has any experience of living in these areas?

yanH Apr 6th 2007 8:12 am

Re: Bundaberg - what would it be like to lve there?

It'd be handy for the Ginger Beer factory:D

Grayling Apr 6th 2007 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Loiner (Post 4608178)
We are thinking about Bundaberg, Begara area to live and work (Im a nurse). Just wondering if anyone has any experience of living in these areas?

Bagara is a very quiet small town....not a great deal there....lots of retirement developments.

G

PWBCSA Apr 6th 2007 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Loiner (Post 4608178)

Just remember everyone is entitled to their own opinion...

I have to go to Bundaberg for work and it's a shithole, it's as simple as that. Bargara is lovely but incredibly quiet, and I don't mean 'nice' quiet like Caloundra, basically it's a retirement area.

If you really want to go there do so but I wouldn't advise my worst enemy to move there from the UK.

Cheers.

PS. Not sure what kind of nurse you are but there are loads of GP surgeries there and a huge base hospital, they're all really busy due to the high percentage of locals whose sole aim in life is to get signed off work for as long as humanly possible.

DrWho Apr 6th 2007 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by PWBCSA (Post 4608350)
Just remember everyone is entitled to their own opinion...

I have to go to Bundaberg for work and it's a shithole, it's as simple as that. Bargara is lovely but incredibly quiet, and I don't mean 'nice' quiet like Caloundra, basically it's a retirement area.

If you really want to go there do so but I wouldn't advise my worst enemy to move there from the UK.

Cheers.

PS. Not sure what kind of nurse you are but there are loads of GP surgeries there and a huge base hospital, they're all really busy due to the high percentage of locals whose sole aim in life is to get signed off work for as long as humanly possible.

Got to second that... Although we only passed through it's miles from anywhere and seems to have nothing going for it at all... :(

monandgaz Apr 6th 2007 12:27 pm

Well, I was just about to ask the same question as OP before finding this thread......quess that answers that question !!!!!!:(

kevnew1 Apr 6th 2007 2:22 pm

Hi all,
The wife and myself returned from Bunderberg and Bargara two days ago as part of a three week recce prior to our permanent move hopefully in September. We thoroughly investigated Townsville, Mackay, Rockhampton, Hervey Bay and Bunderberg/Bargara. Having just read the negative comments about Bargara and Bunderberg I thought we might try to balance the argument and share some of our findings. Admittedly Bargara is a sleepy coastal town, it has several restaurants and bars, Golf course, Parks, Coffee shops, Butchers, Pharmacy, news agents, hairdressers, beauty therapist, post office and schools. There is also plans to cater for the rapid growth of the town, due to the good amenities, schooling and many new building sites, by building a new shopping area. Additionally a superb long esplanade and an exceptionally well kept and very clean beach with the nicest public toilets I have ever used. To the South is the beautiful Elliot Heads beach area. To the North is the quiet family suburb of Burnett Heads.
During our investigation of the available housing to buy/rent we found only one immaculate retirement complex. There was a variety of new builds, Queenslanders and Units to suit all pockets. There was a distinct lack of gnarled old people waiting for the grim reaper. If fact over the four days we spent in the area we found a vibrant and mixed aged community, always polite and extremely helpful. The streets are clean and almost graffiti free. The council provides play areas for all ages and a Bowls club (with integral Chinese restaurant).
I find the comment that Bargara is a shithole questionable, come visit Bristol.
If the area you would like to settle in needs to have a busy night life, lots of bars and nightclubs then Bargara is not for you. If, on the other hand, you want wonderful walks on pristine beaches, intimate meals in nice restaurants, if you are fed up with crime, teenage yobs, litter and rubbish public facilities then I would strongly suggest giving Bargara a visit as I hope you will be surprised as to what it can offer.
As for Bunderberg, even though it has three separate indoor shopping centres the town centre remains just that. There are plenty of large towns in Queensland, Townsville for instance, whose center is has no soul due to the bigger edge of town malls taking all of the custom away. Admittedly its not the most wonderful looking place but there seems to be plenty of work, the locals are exceptionally friendly and encouraging. Again not a shit hole either.
Of course these are just our opinions but I think Bunderberg and Bargara have been sold a little short on this thread. I am forty years old, my wife is mid-thirties and we definitely do not wish to live amongst the walking dead but we fully intend to buy an affordable four bed house overlooking the sea in this wonderful sleepy community called Bargara.

kevnew1 Apr 6th 2007 2:31 pm

Apologies,
Just re-read my response and must apologise for mis-reading that Bargara was described as a shithole aswell as Bunderberg.
Sorry again, my thoughts on both places remain the same.

monandgaz Apr 6th 2007 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by kevnew1 (Post 4608999)
Hi all,
The wife and myself returned from Bunderberg and Bargara two days ago as part of a three week recce prior to our permanent move hopefully in September. We thoroughly investigated Townsville, Mackay, Rockhampton, Hervey Bay and Bunderberg/Bargara. Having just read the negative comments about Bargara and Bunderberg I thought we might try to balance the argument and share some of our findings. Admittedly Bargara is a sleepy coastal town, it has several restaurants and bars, Golf course, Parks, Coffee shops, Butchers, Pharmacy, news agents, hairdressers, beauty therapist, post office and schools. There is also plans to cater for the rapid growth of the town, due to the good amenities, schooling and many new building sites, by building a new shopping area. Additionally a superb long esplanade and an exceptionally well kept and very clean beach with the nicest public toilets I have ever used. To the South is the beautiful Elliot Heads beach area. To the North is the quiet family suburb of Burnett Heads.
During our investigation of the available housing to buy/rent we found only one immaculate retirement complex. There was a variety of new builds, Queenslanders and Units to suit all pockets. There was a distinct lack of gnarled old people waiting for the grim reaper. If fact over the four days we spent in the area we found a vibrant and mixed aged community, always polite and extremely helpful. The streets are clean and almost graffiti free. The council provides play areas for all ages and a Bowls club (with integral Chinese restaurant).
I find the comment that Bargara is a shithole questionable, come visit Bristol.
If the area you would like to settle in needs to have a busy night life, lots of bars and nightclubs then Bargara is not for you. If, on the other hand, you want wonderful walks on pristine beaches, intimate meals in nice restaurants, if you are fed up with crime, teenage yobs, litter and rubbish public facilities then I would strongly suggest giving Bargara a visit as I hope you will be surprised as to what it can offer.
As for Bunderberg, even though it has three separate indoor shopping centres the town centre remains just that. There are plenty of large towns in Queensland, Townsville for instance, whose center is has no soul due to the bigger edge of town malls taking all of the custom away. Admittedly its not the most wonderful looking place but there seems to be plenty of work, the locals are exceptionally friendly and encouraging. Again not a shit hole either.
Of course these are just our opinions but I think Bunderberg and Bargara have been sold a little short on this thread. I am forty years old, my wife is mid-thirties and we definitely do not wish to live amongst the walking dead but we fully intend to buy an affordable four bed house overlooking the sea in this wonderful sleepy community called Bargara.

.....Amazing how everybody sees these places so differently....;)
How did you feel about Mackay, Rockhampton and Hervey Bay and most of all how far is it to the next airport.....did you feel cut off from the rest of the world....and if you do move out there would it be easy for family/firends to get to these places ...............

Mona

Amazulu Apr 6th 2007 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by monandgaz (Post 4609025)

That's why these types of questions are ridiculous and impossible to answer. We are all different. What's good for one is crap for another.
A lot of people on here like Brisbane. I think it's a craphole.

Each to their own.

monandgaz Apr 6th 2007 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 4609031)
That's why these types of questions are ridiculous and impossible to answer. We are all different. What's good for one is crap for another.
A lot of people on here like Brisbane. I think it's a craphole.

Each to their own.

Still nice to read though and a great help for people like me who do not have the money to go on a recci !!!!!!!!;) ;) ;)

sam mick kurt Apr 6th 2007 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by monandgaz (Post 4609025)
How did you feel about Mackay, Rockhampton and Hervey Bay and most of all how far is it to the next airport.....did you feel cut off from the rest of the world....and if you do move out there would it be easy for family/firends to get to these places ...............

Mona

go to mackay! its spot on. nice base hospital for work and plenty to do

with the added bonus of the whitsunday islands and airlie beach just up the road, endless beaches, retail parks, shopping malls,cant say enough about the place,oh and the new marina development , drive along breakwater! just drive or walk along see turtles come right up to you on the waters edge!!!!!

Loiner Apr 6th 2007 4:55 pm

Thanks for the input. Its nice to have some real opinions because its difficult to get a real feel for places from the websites.

kevnew1 Apr 6th 2007 5:06 pm

We liked Mackay (but not as much as Bundaberg/Bargara) because the town was well used despite having Caneland as a mall. It has the usual things such as cinema, swimming pools, beaches and national parks.

The negative side is that it is really difficult to rent, house prices are inflated because of the money brought in from the mines and even our hotel receptionist said that local people don't buy cars from Mackay dealers because the prices are inflated. With that info we pressed on....

monandgaz Apr 6th 2007 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by sam mick kurt (Post 4609171)
go to mackay! its spot on. nice base hospital for work and plenty to do

with the added bonus of the whitsunday islands and airlie beach just up the road, endless beaches, retail parks, shopping malls,cant say enough about the place,oh and the new marina development , drive along breakwater! just drive or walk along see turtles come right up to you on the waters edge!!!!!

....how many hours drive is it to the next airport ....????
Sorry to keep going on about it, but I'm just thinking of friends and family wanting to visit us from the uk and having to spend 3 days to get to where we are.......!!