Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bunbury WA - What's it like?

Bunbury WA - What's it like?

Old Apr 5th 2004, 9:11 am
Just Joined

Evie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bunbury WA - What's it like?

Has anyone been Bunbury WA? Looks like we might have regional sponsorship but it will be in Bunbury. We know nothing about the city and can't find much about it, so some first hand experience of the place would really help. We have 2 young children - could this be a good place to bring them up? How big is the city say compared to Perth? Does anyone know?

Thanks,

Evie.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

aussie bloke is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bunbury WA - What's it like?

Originally posted by Evie
Has anyone been Bunbury WA? Looks like we might have regional sponsorship but it will be in Bunbury. We know nothing about the city and can't find much about it, so some first hand experience of the place would really help. We have 2 young children - could this be a good place to bring them up? How big is the city say compared to Perth? Does anyone know?

Thanks,

Evie.
http://www.bunbury.wa.gov.au/
Old Apr 5th 2004, 10:19 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,

Evie.

Hi Evie

I went to Bunbury for the day when i stayed with my relatives in Perth, its lovely... about a 2 hour drive from perth, and a nice drive at that. If you key in Bunbury on your browser it will bring up some sites, one of them has a virtual tour of bunbury on it, sorry i cant remember the name of the site but i am sure you will find it.

hope this helps
good luck

love laura
xx
Old Apr 5th 2004, 10:29 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,

Evie.
As a holiday place I wouldn't recommend it (though it has a nice beach, and dolphins), but as a place to live: yes!

We lived an hour south of Bunbury(Bridgetown) from 1992-1996, and did clothes shopping and orthodontist trips to Bunbury.

Not sure how big it is (it's growing, that's for sure), I'd call it a small city/very large town. Much smaller than Perth.

I think it'd be fine to bring up kids, though I'd say that about any reasonabal town....

What are you job types btw? That would matter of course. Being in IT wouldn't be good!! Being a trades person you should be fine.

If going by what now is classed as regional, Mandurah is in there too... maybe you'd like to look at that too. About an hour from Perth city centre.

We are starting of in Perth because of husbands job (Graphic designer), but once he's got 'australian' job experience, or changes directions all together, we's love to end up in the southwest. I'd rather bring children up in the southwest than in Perth, though outer suburbs would be alright too.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 11:17 am
Just Joined

Evie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info so far.

Simone, to answer your question, my husband's a senior manager, and his background (although not technical) is working for IT companies. Do you think this would be a problem, although with his skills, once he had learned a bit about the business he could work as a senior manager just about anywhere.

Best regards,
Evie.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 11:25 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info so far.

Simone, to answer your question, my husband's a senior manager, and his background (although not technical) is working for IT companies. Do you think this would be a problem, although with his skills, once he had learned a bit about the business he could work as a senior manager just about anywhere.

Best regards,
Evie.
I have no idea.... All I can say is that in Perth there will be more jobs/more choice (and in SYD/MEL even more of course).
In smaller towns/cities especially, it's also all about 'who you know'.
It might be better to start of in Mandurah....
Unless he could manage to get a job before you go, but that's very difficult!

Old Apr 5th 2004, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,

Evie.
Hello Evie

I've been to Bunbury several times now and think it would be a perfect place to fetch up a family.

I think the population is about 60,000 (my est). The house prices are similar to Perth. The city centre has some very new buildings but they fit in perfectly with the older style main street.

The city is the centre for the local agriculteral industry and also services many mine sites so there is a large industrial service secter.

The pace of the place seems to be slow to comfortabe and is an excelent jumping off point for the southwest.

I hope this helps

Keel
Old Apr 5th 2004, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Dawn Adams will become famous soon enough

Bunbury was the chosen location when decentralisation was the government catch cry. It is one of the biggest regional centres and will continue to grow. And its only a spit and a whistle from Perth.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Haven't been for 3 years but really liked it down there, as long as you've got work. Seemed very small then. Try & PM Brox or do a search on their posts as they settled in Bunbury.

Loopy
Old Apr 5th 2004, 4:54 pm
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

I went to Bunbury last summer when in WA, Just from initial observations I thought it was lovely looked round some of the new housing developments and they were really nice. The centre had lots of good shops and cafes which is important!! Also its nearer to the Margaret River than Perth, think of all those vineyards and wine tasting!!

Good Luck
Old Apr 5th 2004, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

Hi

We were there in January - spent a day at the beach & also celebrated the big 40 by swimming with the dolphins - wonderful!!!

We liked it there but my hubbie is a project manager for commercial Air conditioning so ruled it out due to lack of work. If the work was there we would certainly have considered it.

If anyone knows any different & thinks there may be scope for the hubbie then let me know - we would love it to be on the "maybe" list.

Cheers

pockygoes
Old Apr 5th 2004, 6:54 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

You're probably all sick of my pics by now (see Nundle thread..), but guess what, I have some pics of Bunbury!!!

It's nearly 10 years ago (feb 95), but still....

Taken from the look out.
Attached Thumbnails Bunbury WA - What's it like?-1995_33_bunbury.jpg  
Old Apr 5th 2004, 6:55 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally posted by Simone82
You're probably all sick of my pics by now (see Nundle thread..), but guess what, I have some pics of Bunbury!!!

It's nearly 10 years ago (feb 95), but still....

Taken from the look out.
Attached Thumbnails Bunbury WA - What's it like?-1995_34_bunbury.jpg