British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   bunbury/busselton (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/bunbury-busselton-118720/)

a.petrut Nov 23rd 2002 5:13 pm

bunbury/busselton

can anyone give us some info about moving to the Bunbury/Busselton area.Were off to live there in January(have never been to AUS before!)
We are from Yorkshire
Angela P

springflower Nov 23rd 2002 7:55 pm

Hi Angela

Hopefully I will be going to Busselton in the near future, my family live out there and we visited in 2000. Its very beautiful and surrounded by lots of nice places to visit. In fact all of the south west coast around there is outstanding. Busselton itself is a small tourist town, lovely beach with lots of facilities. The people were friendly and there were lots of people from Yorkshire who recognised my accent and just wanted to catch up on any news from that area.
Bunbury is much larger, in fact i think its classed as the second largest city after Perth in western australia, someone will correct me if I am wrong. It has a very large shopping area, great cappochino strip.
If you would like to know anything specific then please e-mail and if I cant help I will ask my family.

January is a lovely time to go the weather will be just right.

All the best
Jan :)

Stan J Nov 24th 2002 8:11 am

Dolphins

Although I lived in Brisbane for the most part I have visited both Bunbury and Bussleton. I seem to remember watching lots of Dolphins at Bunbury (there's a Dolphin watch area). Bussleton had a rather long Pier/Jetty.

When I was there, a few years ago, (circa mid-Jan) it seemed very hot ... forty odd degrees ... but I'd agree with that 'corner' of Australia being one of the most scenic I've seen. Far less 'commercial' than the Eastern side, although I heard somewhere that nearby Dunsborough was one of the fastest growing population centres of Australia.

Kath Nov 24th 2002 11:57 am

I agree with the above 2 posts. We live in Perth and visited the Busselton area recently for a long weekend, it's beautiful and so unspoiled, miles of beaches and so peaceful.

One thing surprised me was the cost of property, we looked around Busselton, Dunsborough and Yallingup and it was expensive considering the lack of work in the area. Maybe it's wealthy Perth business men/women buying holiday accommodation down there?

Don't know anything about Bunbury, only driven through it, although I've also heard it's the second largest city in WA! Hard to believe it's more like small country town!

Good luck the south west is great.

cariad Nov 24th 2002 7:14 pm

Hey Angela

I can only give you an idea of our general impressions of the south-west through trips down south - as we've only really passed through bunbury. It is very scenic - especially the further south you go but we found it to be very much a tourist/farming area. If you want to open up a vinyard or art gallery your heading to the right area. If your looking to pick up work I'd expect a commute into Perth during the week which is a looong way.

Best of Luck

S+A

brox Nov 25th 2002 7:26 pm

Re: bunbury/busselton

Originally posted by a.petrut
can anyone give us some info about moving to the Bunbury/Busselton area.Were off to live there in January(have never been to AUS before!)
We are from Yorkshire
Angela P

Hi Angela

We are moving to Bunbury or surrounding area early next year. We have visited Bunbury and Busselton many times before and have spent many days on their beaches with the kids.
Bunbury is the second largest city after Perth and has everything a growing family would ever need. My husband is in the motor trade(Paint Sprayer) and has checked out the job situation, it seems there would be plenty of places in Bunbury to start looking!!!!!! I found Bunbury quite a modern small city with plenty of shops.
Busselton is FAB and has the safest swimming beach we have found. It has a long Jetty and a train runs to the end. The last time we were at Busselton there were camel rides on the beach. I suppose for the south west it is quite touristy, but its nothing compaired to Scarborough or Filey beaches. (We too are from Yorkshire) If you want any more info on the area please get in touch.

springflower Nov 25th 2002 9:29 pm

Hi

I would love to know why you have chosen the Bunbury/Busselton area to live, do you have family there already.
Also where abouts in yorkshire do you come from, I'm originally from Doncaster but now live in Scarborough, and yes the beach is slightly different in Busselton, for a start you can actually have a whole part of the beach to yourself not just a enough room for the towel like here :-)
Would love to hear from you all in yorkshire, maybe we can all get together for bbq when we are all setttled, fingers crossed that I get there of course.

Good Luck to you all

Jan

:)

brox Nov 26th 2002 11:52 am

Originally posted by springflower
Hi

I would love to know why you have chosen the Bunbury/Busselton area to live, do you have family there already.
Also where abouts in yorkshire do you come from, I'm originally from Doncaster but now live in Scarborough, and yes the beach is slightly different in Busselton, for a start you can actually have a whole part of the beach to yourself not just a enough room for the towel like here :-)
Would love to hear from you all in yorkshire, maybe we can all get together for bbq when we are all setttled, fingers crossed that I get there of course.

Good Luck to you all

Jan

brox Nov 26th 2002 11:57 am

Originally posted by springflower
Hi

Good Luck to you all

Jan

hi jan
we are from Malton.My wifes(Rachel)parents live at Boyup Brook an hour
south east of Bunbury
Neil